Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carbon tubular front wheel I use as a tt wheel only. I glued it on about four years ago. Due to family and work, have not used it in two years. Everyone I cunsulted including a few people here said I should pull it and reglue it. Well after about a half hour and blisters on both of my thumbs, I have about 4" worth loose. WTF?! Should I have just left it alone? Obviously too late now. When I reglue should I just do one coat on rim and one on tire? Let coat on rim dry then apply to tire and mount?
Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use Vittoria Mastik. Last season I did 2 coats on the wheel and tire. It was a PITA to get the Tufo tire off a few weeks ago. I cleaned the rim completely. I plan on doing. 1 good coat on the tire (Continental) 1 coat on the rim. 24hr dry time. 1 light coat on the rim. Mount up!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
I have a carbon tubular front wheel I use as a tt wheel only. I glued it on about four years ago. Due to family and work, have not used it in two years. Everyone I cunsulted including a few people here said I should pull it and reglue it. Well after about a half hour and blisters on both of my thumbs, I have about 4" worth loose. WTF?! Should I have just left it alone? Obviously too late now. When I reglue should I just do one coat on rim and one on tire? Let coat on rim dry then apply to tire and mount?
Thanks
Wrong order. If you want to mount the tire cleanly (clean tire, clean rim, clean hands) always mount w/ the tire dry and the rim wet. Make sense? You put the tire on w/ wet glue you're going to get glue EVERYWHERE.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong order. If you want to mount the tire cleanly (clean tire, clean rim, clean hands) always mount w/ the tire dry and the rim wet. Make sense? You put the tire on w/ wet glue you're going to get glue EVERYWHERE.
Yes makes sense. Duh. I should have known. So I read in another thread you said don't worry about cleaning all the glue off the rim just fill in the low spots. Should that be step one, then another full coat? Wait, never mind. Let's say YOU just pulled a tire off. What is your procedure? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
For some reason the continental carbon glue instructions say to put it on the tire and not the rim. Do you know why they print this?

·
15,563 Posts
For some reason the continental carbon glue instructions say to put it on the tire and not the rim. Do you know why they print this?
No idea. I do know that there are exactly zero mechanics that I know of that will use that glue. Not one. It's pretty stringy, it seems to dry really quickly and just doesn't stick tires to rims well enough for me to trust it.
The glue is going to end up on the both the tire and the rim no matter what you do, so why wouldn't you do it the cleanest/easiest way possible?

Yes makes sense. Duh. I should have known. So I read in another thread you said don't worry about cleaning all the glue off the rim just fill in the low spots. Should that be step one, then another full coat? Wait, never mind. Let's say YOU just pulled a tire off. What is your procedure? Thanks.
If the tire comes off nicely and doesn't leave patches of glue I'll put a thin coat on, and let it dry. I'll do whatever I need to do on the tire,let it dry and re-stretch it, then put a medium thick coat on the rim and mount the tire.

If the glue is kinda patchy after taking the tire off I'll make a small effort to build up the low spots, then put on the medium coat and mount the tire. So far (over 1500 tires) I haven't had any roll the season they were mounted. One CX tire rolled the second season, but it had been washed a LOT and sat all summer.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
No idea. I do know that there are exactly zero mechanics that I know of that will use that glue. Not one. It's pretty stringy, it seems to dry really quickly and just doesn't stick tires to rims well enough for me to trust it.
The glue is going to end up on the both the tire and the rim no matter what you do, so why wouldn't you do it the cleanest/easiest way possible?
Your favorite shop (it rhymes with Ike's Dikes) glued a tire of mine using that stuff. The guy said it was his first time doing it and charged me $90. Tubular also rolled. Now I do them myself.

·
15,563 Posts
Your favorite shop (it rhymes with Ike's Dikes) glued a tire of mine using that stuff. The guy said it was his first time doing it and charged me $90. Tubular also rolled. Now I do them myself.
Holy Jesus...did you take it back and let them know? I didn't feel comfortable doing it by myself til I had mounted 50 or so tires w/ some thoroughly expert 'guidance'...from a guy named Tony in Sausalito. You probably know that shop, yeah?

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy Jesus...did you take it back and let them know? I didn't feel comfortable doing it by myself til I had mounted 50 or so tires w/ some thoroughly expert 'guidance'...from a guy named Tony in Sausalito. You probably know that shop, yeah?
I know that shop. Bought my Soma there. There is a big dude with dreads that works the front right? Nice shop.
Ok, so if you didn't feel comfortable until you glued 50 tires should I be worried for my life after only glueing 2?🚑

·
15,563 Posts
I know that shop. Bought my Soma there. There is a big dude with dreads that works the front right? Nice shop.
Ok, so if you didn't feel comfortable until you glued 50 tires should I be worried for my life after only glueing 2?🚑
No, when I started gluing them the interwebs didn't exist so you couldn't learn from places like this and watch videos on youtube and learn from that. Well, it existed but it definitely wasn't like it is now. I guess I mean I wouldn't have though I was good enough to glue tires unsupervised at work and charge top dollar for it. But then the shop whose name rhymes w/ spikes does stuff like this all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've fixed things that have come from their many shops. It's not hard to do, but it takes some experience to be good at it. I started teaching one of young guys and the last one he did was a huge mess that took quite a lot of lacquer thinner to clean up. It's on there for sure, just not clean. Just make sure you have the tires firmly attached to the edges of the rim. If there are any spots that you can pull away w/ decent finger pressure, peel it off and do it again.
The owner of that shop, Tony, bought it in '75 when he was 19. Pretty much all he has ever done is run a bike shop. Great guy, everyone around here loves him. I worked there for 9+ years and learned a lot.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I didn't take it back, I don't think that mechanic worked there anymore. I mean it rolled in a crash after it was clear I was going down, but still.

The Odyssey place right? I've heard of it and rode by it a few times but never been in there. The rhyming place used to have one really good mechanic that left unfortunately. That guy would always hook me up and do a super job. I guess with these chain stores there are diamonds in the rough. My coworker brought his bike to R...you know the rest, to get a new BB pressed in. First ride it was creaking. I removed it for him and there was no grease or even threadlock. And this was done by their "head mechanic".

Anyways back to the thread on hand. I'm only really confident in gluing tubulars that have zero glue on the rim and very little on the tire. So I spend ages cleaning it all off the rim before I glue a new one.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
With that much effort it looks like you should have left it on. Time trials do not generally put much lateral force on a tire. If you do any hard cornering then it's extra important to have the tire glued well. It's important to check the grip of the glue periodically though. You can deflate the tire and tug on it all around the rim to see if it holds well. If a small area lifts up you can often just put some more glue in that spot. But, if you're doing lots of hard cornering or cylocross riding then getting a very strong bond between the tire and rim will be the most reliable.

·
Registered
557 Posts
CX, what's your recommended method for road tubies? Just Mastik One?

I ask because i was talking to someone at ENVE a couple of year back, and they actually suggested a layer of Mastik on the tire, just to saturate the base tape. Then use TUFO tape. I tried it, and I'm still alive, but curious how many folks combine the two?

Note- it was TUFO road tape, not the stuff sold for the "Belgian method" or mounting 'cross tires.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With that much effort it looks like you should have left it on. Time trials do not generally put much lateral force on a tire. If you do any hard cornering then it's extra important to have the tire glued well. It's important to check the grip of the glue periodically though. You can deflate the tire and tug on it all around the rim to see if it holds well. If a small area lifts up you can often just put some more glue in that spot. But, if you're doing lots of hard cornering or cylocross riding then getting a very strong bond between the tire and rim will be the most reliable.
You know, I was thinking along these same lines. But I was told it could fail so I should reglue. I am now of the opinion that there is no friggin way that tire was coming off. I'm hoping now I can get the rest off easier and not ruin the perfectly good tire. My first attempt years ago ended up ruining the base tape on a brand new tire. That hurt.

·
15,563 Posts
CX, what's your recommended method for road tubies? Just Mastik One?

I ask because i was talking to someone at ENVE a couple of year back, and they actually suggested a layer of Mastik on the tire, just to saturate the base tape. Then use TUFO tape. I tried it, and I'm still alive, but curious how many folks combine the two?

Note- it was TUFO road tape, not the stuff sold for the "Belgian method" or mounting 'cross tires.
I would NEVER use Tufo tape. It's garbage.

2 coats of glue on the base tape to make sure it's saturated.

New rim: 2 coats, thin to medium thickness, allowing to dry completely between coats.

Re-stretch tire after glue on tire is dry. The tighter the tire, the longer you stretch. If the tires is really supple minimal or no stretching is required. On a Conti Sprinter they shrink so much as the glue dries that I stretch them for at least a few hours, inflated to 100ish.

Medium coat on the wheel, mount the tire. Unless it's really cold I don't wait. Apply the glue, put the tire on. Make sure it's centered and pump it up. Let dry.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Medium coat on the wheel, mount the tire. Unless it's really cold I don't wait. Apply the glue, put the tire on. Make sure it's centered and pump it up. Let dry.
One thing I like to do is roll the tire around semi-inflated (50-60psi) to make sure it has good contact. I also use a toe strap around the valve stem while it's drying to make sure the valve stays put during that process.

·
15,563 Posts
One thing I like to do is roll the tire around semi-inflated (50-60psi) to make sure it has good contact. I also use a toe strap around the valve stem while it's drying to make sure the valve stays put during that process.
I roll them around too, the strap at the valve is a great idea...I'll try it. On the Zipps we open up the valve hole on the tire bed side of the rim just a tiny bit so the tire sits down in there nicely.

·
15,563 Posts
Toe strap? Tow strap? What do you mean use it around? Pleez splain.
You wrap a TOE strap around the rim and tire right next to the valve stem to push the tire against the rim as the glue dries. Because the valve stem sometimes causes a slight bulge as it doesn't sit against the rim as well as the rest of the tire this will help push the tire against the rim. This is with the tire fully inflated, obviously.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts