Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
On my work laptop in Phoenix. Not even going to click...

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BentChainring said:
On my work laptop in Phoenix. Not even going to click...
Say hello to my Aunt Darlene and Uncle Kenneth while you're there.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Just sad to me, I guess. One beer and I get all sentimental, but it's f***in' sad. Very little good gonna come out of all that.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fredke said:
Just sad to me, I guess. One beer and I get all sentimental, but it's f***in' sad. Very little good gonna come out of all that.
I had my daughter at 17, so I can both laugh and relate. I'm lucky we both turned out as well as we did.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
lets_ride said:
I had my daughter at 17, so I can both laugh and relate. I'm lucky we both turned out as well as we did.
Congratulations on making good with that. All too many don't. It takes a lot of character to be mature enough to be a mother at that age and I admire you for it.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fredke said:
Congratulations on making good with that. All too many don't. It takes a lot of character to be mature enough to be a mother at that age and I admire you for it.
Why thank you, kind sir.

Now if I can just convince her she doesn't have to go to college in your town at that Vandy place for her undergrad, I'll be golden.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
lets_ride said:
Why thank you, kind sir.

Now if I can just convince her she doesn't have to go to college in your town at that Vandy place for her undergrad, I'll be golden.
Vanderbilt?

Get her going to Princeton and she can get a free education! Of course, that means she'll have to work her butt off to go in and also requires her to be keen on that place etc etc etc too.

The kids there aren't as 'stuck up' as one might think honestly.

Also, it does seem like she'd like it there IMO because of how much creative freedom they allow/encourage and your daughter seems to be someone who could fit well in.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
uzziefly said:
Vanderbilt?

Get her going to Princeton and she can get a free education! Of course, that means she'll have to work her butt off to go in and also requires her to be keen on that place etc etc etc too.

The kids there aren't as 'stuck up' as one might think honestly.
Unless she can pull down some crazy scholarship money, she will be getting her undergrad in the state of Georgia to take advantage of the Hope Scholarship. It pays full tuition and a book allowance for the first undergrad degree as long as you keep a 3.0 GPA.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
lets_ride said:
Unless she can pull down some crazy scholarship money, she will be getting her undergrad in the state of Georgia to take advantage of the Hope Scholarship. It pays full tuition and a book allowance for the first undergrad degree as long as you keep a 3.0 GPA.
If you were referring to Princeton, then actually, they pay as much as you can't afford (meaning, anything from a full 100% payment by them to 100% on your own) with a grant, rather than a loan so there's no repayment.

Georgia has good schools for sure.

Has she visited any of the places she's keen on etc?

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
lets_ride said:
For what it's worth, Vanderbilt has instituted a new policy of financial aid so undergraduates don't have to take out loans if their parents can't afford the tuition, so she should wait and see what Vanderbilt offers in financial aid before deciding it's out of reach.
Vanderbilt University’s seven-year initiative to reduce students’ education-related debt will take a bold step forward in fall 2009 when the university replaces all need-based student loans with Vanderbilt grant and scholarship assistance while continuing to fully meet the demonstrated need of its undergraduates.
In determining a student’s demonstrated financial need, Vanderbilt takes into account each student's individual family circumstances and all educational costs such as tuition, fees, housing, meals, books, course materials, and personal and travel expenses. Vanderbilt has decided not to impose specified income-level caps in deciding eligibility for the program.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
lets_ride said:
+1...mine was born when i was 20. so far so good. but i'm conflicted when i see stuff like this. some people make it work, others don't. bad parenting knows no age, though. it may be better friends with younger parents, but, well, philip larkin says it best:

This Be The Verse

They f**k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were f***ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
ampastoral said:
well, philip larkin says it best:
I've always loved that Larkin verse, but you have to remember that he was a bit old fashioned in that regard:
Sexual intercourse began
In nineteen sixty-three
(which was rather late for me) -
Between the end of the Chatterley ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

Up to then there'd only been
A sort of bargaining,
A wrangle for the ring,
A shame that started at sixteen
And spread to everything.

Then all at once the quarrel sank:
Everyone felt the same,
And every life became
A brilliant breaking of the bank,
A quite unlosable game.

So life was never better than
In nineteen sixty-three
(Though just too late for me) -
Between the end of the Chatterley ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
annus mirabilis....another one of my favorites....especially when taken in concert with dryden's poem of teh same title :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts