Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have two bikes. A nice new shiney Trek that I ride on the weekend. And a 20 year old french 12 speed steel that I ride to the train to commute for work... On my way home I am often passes by bike clubs with their expensive bikes and superhero suits. While I have dress pants and shoes on as I am commuting from work. I get looks of discust as if what are you riding and you dont deserve to be even on the same road as me. One guy even said "where did you find that bike, junk yard?" JERK....

I Iike my bike. Its gets me to the train and back... I think that many road bikers are snobs.. I also notice many of the guys in superhere suits are OLD farts... what gives?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
A shiny new Trek? Ewwwwww. :wink5:

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
again, roadies are arrogant elitist pricks that don't wave back. either that or they think you:
1- are a LDS missionary
2- got too many DUIs and got your license taken away
3- overspent your means and now can't afford gas for your escalade

btw, what kind of superheros are they dressed like? DC or Marvel?

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Just put on your hater blockers, man.

·
Registered
896 Posts
sounds like a crappy bike club to me. in my club/team there are guys riding 10k setups and I don't think I have ever heard one of them really talk about their own bike, not mention someone elses. your bike isn't the problem, its the people. I get comments on the other hand because I race a $1200 bike with $2500 wheels - like a ghetto honda with rims that cost more than the car...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ride faster... Its funny you say that. After they passes me I said F this and stayed on their tail for about a mile up a hill. The last guy kept looking back at me like "back off". If I did not have books and 2 locks in my backpack I would have passed them. With dress pants and shoes....on a $100 bike... Next time I'll be ready.....Stay tuned!!! As Rambo once said.. "Don't push it...". hahaha

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Buncha jerks; ignore them.

BTW, some of us "old farts" who like to occasionally put on the "superhero suit" (I guess to "relive" adventures that we never really had when we were younger :) try to be nice to other cyclists. I'm always glad to see anyone riding a bike, any bike. I'd never sneer at someone's bike because it might look like it came from a junkyard. In fact, I consider it a great mark of virtue to retrieve a bike from a junkyard and make it useable.

I commute on a bike that may be 40 years old -- I'm not sure.

Ride on. When they say something, just smile and wave and say "have a nice day."

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
I think that many road bikers are snobs.. I also notice many of the guys in superhere suits are OLD farts... what gives?
Don't have any advice to help you, but by all means...continue to meet hate and disdain with more hate and disdain, that should get rid of it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,322 Posts
Creakyknees said:
PM me directions to that spot. I will join the ride and put them all into a mailbox. Just cause I'm like that.
Call Flatbar--he'll put a "framepump" into each of their wheels.

BTW- by "framepump" I mean a lead pipe.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Creakyknees said:
PM me directions to that spot. I will join the ride and put them all into a mailbox. Just cause I'm like that.
Here let me help you out, they apparently look something like this

Old, fat, in Super Hero suit....Heck it looks like this dork even has a cape.

·
Registered
329 Posts
awesome

This whole thread is sad.

People form an opinion of you based on the image you give them. Sorry if that is wrong, but it tends to hold true in most social settings. In this case, you gave them the image of a business man on a $100 bike (and tried to force your way into their group by sucking a wheel without invitation). Next time you are on your shiny Trek, will you attempt to ride amongst a group of messengers? They will likely shun you also.

Attempting to prove your "one of them" by sucking wheel and eventually getting dropped not only failed to prove your point, it is dangerous and bad etiquette.

If you really are above that sort of snobbish behavior, why the bold attempt to "best" them?

Try striking up a conversation so you can find a little more about them before you begin judging them. Perhaps you can uncover some common ground and gain some new training companions...but I have to be honest, if a guy in a business suit on a $100 bike started sucking my wheel and quoting Rambo, I do not think we would form much of a lasting friendship.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Where did you find that attitude, prison yard? Just because somebody disses your bike doesn't mean you have to get all tweaked. Ignore them.

There are a lot of clunkers in the world. Sounds like you are riding one. If you like it, fine. If I don't, fine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.