Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this thread on the two bike forums I "lurk" in order to get some real opinions.

I'm wanting to get back into riding after a four year hiatus, so I'm looking around at new bikes. Although I'll probably wait until 2009 to purchase a bike, I'd like to know what you guys would get if you could right now. So don't take anything into consideration, other than you have $3000 to spend on a new bike, not a used one.

EDIT: I mean a complete bike, pretend you have nothing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What he said. Cept I'd go used. I got a $4000 bike for $2000 with less than 1000 miles on it. then I had enough for shoes twice as good as I would have bought otherwise, a Garmin Edge and good shorts. Above all get good shoes and shorts.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
And make sure it fits regardless of how much you spend.

I've spent thousands over the last few years on bikes that had nicer components or a different color or whatever, but what I have learned is that a few hundred bucks on a fitting would have saved me alot of time and money. I finally had one this winter, and now I can spend my money knowledgably around what will work best for my body.

·
Registered
424 Posts
varian72 said:
Above all get good shoes and shorts.
Pay attention to whatever you touch the bike. Frame materials can make a difference but I a bad seat, or uncomfortable shoes will make you hate your carbon dream machine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Leighton said:
I'm posting this thread on the two bike forums I "lurk" in order to get some real opinions.

I'm wanting to get back into riding after a four year hiatus, so I'm looking around at new bikes. Although I'll probably wait until 2009 to purchase a bike, I'd like to know what you guys would get if you could right now. So don't take anything into consideration, other than you have $3000 to spend on a new bike, not a used one.

i just did this two months ago.

i read ALOT. i then rode three bikes and chose one that was very close to my house.
(i don't drive). i wouldn't do that again.

it's worth the $1000 mentioned previously to ride alot of bikes. it will save you time
and money going back and forth in weeks to come. you'll learn alot, free of charge.

i would save the suggested $1000. you will find shoes you like more. pedals that don't
rub. shorts that last 50 miles. jerseys that are good in heat. gloves that let you ride longer.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I'd get a custom frame, Ultegra or 105 components, and the best seat on the market.
We have a winner! I don't see the point of not going custom instead of a production bike in the 3k+ price range. It's the lure of plastic.

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
Leighton said:

People keep saying that a lot of the prices on bikes are going to jump up significantly next year (or components will be downgraded.) It may be wise to buy your bike in 2008.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.