Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in Columbus, visiting my daughter at school for the weekend. I brought my Langster with me (just tore it apart and threw it in the trunk instead of messing with the rack) I have been riding every morning before everyone gets up. This morning I came to the conclusion that riding in TOWN requires a DIFFERENT pair of shoes after I stopped at a light and when I unclipped and put my left foot down, it was steel against road and I came as close as I have EVER come to falling over in front of DOZENS of people...lol.

I am buying a new pair of Mtn bike shoes JUST for this application.....That way....the RUBBER meets the road!

(I actually came down on the saddle hard enough to knock it out of level...and it was TIGHT, real tight. )

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Powergrips!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Eggbeaters & Sidi Dominators or MTB shoes are the answer...

I found these to be absolutely perfect. Secure clip-in and yet easy to walk around in when I wheel up to the local coffee shop or convenience store.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am def switching back to mtn bike shoes....I need to be able to walk sometimes....I have a set of shimano but they are too small now...not sure what happened... but they used to fit

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I stopped at a light and when I unclipped and put my left foot down, it was steel against road...
Dude! I thought the whole point of fixed was that you never have to unclip. :p

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fredke said:
Dude! I thought the whole point of fixed was that you never have to unclip. :p
that works too if you like laying in the road with the bike on top of you........
I am not at all used to riding in a city at all......on any bike....

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,758 Posts
+1 on eggs and MTB shoes.

FlynG

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an old set of worn shimano spd pedals on it now...I refuse to ride fixed without clipless.....been there.....done that......

I have no problem getting in or out of the pedals.....it is the shoe to ground traction I need.... on top of the fact that my driveway is loose gravel, up hill, and a 23 or 25 tire is not a lot of fun riding up ...either fixed or otherwise...so I usually walk it. I went to a road shoe with spd cleats a couple of years ago but the driveway has just ground away the bottom of the shoe and they are ok for riding BUT......walking is dangerous at best.

I am going hunting for a REALLY stiff mountain bike shoe this week.....They have to be STIFF and they have to fit......I wear a 6 1/2 mens....(yeah..I know....LITTLE FEET) but have a wide foot.....I could fix a good bit of the problem if I took the side-cutters and nipped off both little toes....I'm not sure I really need them anyhow....in 55 years I've never really used them for anything... ( :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm confused? Were you riding clipless? What kind of pedal system are you using? Most "cycling" shoes have a rubber portion under the heel, to prevent exactly this. Roadies don't seem to have any problems unclipping in town...

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mikeyp123 said:
I'm confused? Were you riding clipless? What kind of pedal system are you using? Most "cycling" shoes have a rubber portion under the heel, to prevent exactly this. Roadies don't seem to have any problems unclipping in town...
Let me go through this again...yes I ride clipless....only...on any of my bikes
I have shimano, spd pedals.....answer road shoes with spd cleats and the rubber baby buggy bumpers on the bottom of the shoes are worn totally off from walking on my driveway, and actually I was not asking for advice really, just commenting on a the fact that I was getting new shoes because mine were pretty much worn out.

This is NOT the first time I have slipped with these shoes....just the first whilst dozens of onlookers watched.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SaddleBags said:
Sorry - you can't post here WITHOUT somebody giving advice. So here's mine:
Sidi Dominator - Mega (for wide feet)

PS - It's cool you visit your daughter at school (OSU?) and ride around campus on a fixie.
Yeah, she is at OSU College of Optometry (3rd year) and I was all over the place on my fixed....and uh huh...I was right across from campus on High Street when I did it.

As for shoes.....I won't order anything without trying them on...the real advice I need would be...should I clip the "extra" toes off?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Let me go through this again...yes I ride clipless....only...on any of my bikes
I have shimano, spd pedals.....answer road shoes with spd cleats and the rubber baby buggy bumpers on the bottom of the shoes are worn totally off from walking on my driveway, and actually I was not asking for advice really, just commenting on a the fact that I was getting new shoes because mine were pretty much worn out.

This is NOT the first time I have slipped with these shoes....just the first whilst dozens of onlookers watched.
sweet.. some shoes have a replaceable rubber heel sections. but you probably already know that.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you know...these did BUT I didn't notice they were worn that badly until the pegs that held the rubber pads were ground off too......

so far this week I haven't had the time to go show shopping (or even ride for that matter) ...busy playing catch-up.......how does taking one day off make 5 extra days of work?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.