Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode the Wisconsin Centurion today. The 100 mile was canceled and the start was delayed 2 hours by thunderstorms featuring hail, torential rain and 50mph gusts. It was lightly raining when we rolled out and continued to rain most of the way. It freakin poured at about the 25 mile mark. The sun finally poked out in the last 5 miles. :rolleyes:

So the bike is wet inside and out. I toweled it off and sat it in the sun for a few hours and oiled the drivetrain. When I flipped it a few drops of water came out off the steerer. I pulled the seat post and found it damp but no real water. I'm letting it sit upside down for a while to drain.

What do I need to do to dry the bike and prevent damage/internal rust?

·
Registered
96 Posts
is the bike frame a steel one? if so.. I`ve sprayed WD-40 or what you have on hand down the seat tube as precaution... if water was in the steerer.. might as well hit that too if steel.. aluminium or carbon is well.. rather impervious to water damage so I wouldn`t worry much if it`s the case

but your bearrings might be a different story... I doubt sealed bearrings are cause for much concern as rain water doesn`t hit with sufficient preassure to cause damage (get past seals and rust bearrings over time) or at least that`s what I think anyhow... if you have cup-cone bearrings.. it can`t hurt to service them after a heavy rain like that

cables and casings could also benefit from a dab of oil... anywhere a cable enters a casin.. a few drops of oil goes a long way.. if you want to be a little on the paranoid side keep `feeding`the lube till it comes out the other end.. (flip the bike whichever way to get gravity on your side)

that`s about all I can think of as far as areas of concern... anyone else got more or other tricks they will surely pipe up and help out

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, not a steel frame at least. The bike is a 2007 Trek Madone 5.0. I think the bearings are all sealed on the wheels and drivetrain.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Even if it were steel I wouldn't be overly concerned. Your car gets soaked often, and also rides through winter, salt, cinders, slush, etc. if you live north. You probably just run the car through the car wash if you're like most people. Your car will last a good long time. So will your bike. Even though it was thoroughly soaked you can dry it much better than you can your car, and if it was made from steel, the steel is lits thicker than sheet metal on your car. I have a steel commuter bike that I ride all year as long as the temp. is 15+ F. The bike was new in the early 80s & it's still fine. Relax.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you are up to it, pull out the crank, check the bearings and clean the socket. Reassemble.

The Madones are prone to quick bearing wear due to bad weather conditions.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
I bet there's all sorts of grit in the chain, cassette, etc. if you haven't cleaned them yet.

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perttime said:
I bet there's all sorts of grit in the chain, cassette, etc. if you haven't cleaned them yet.
Absolutely. That was the first thing I did after the bike had dried in the sun.

There were puddles inches deep on the road. Bikes were throwing fountains of water off the back wheels, it was terrible for drafting.

Not only was the bike covered, but I had sand in my hair and mouth!

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Brad the Bold said:
Absolutely. That was the first thing I did after the bike had dried in the sun.

There were puddles inches deep on the road. Bikes were throwing fountains of water off the back wheels, it was terrible for drafting.

Not only was the bike covered, but I had sand in my hair and mouth!
That's why you need a bike with fenders...:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel for ya! I rode in the same crap for the MS 150 yesterday. Weather went from 66 and pouring rain to 82 and sunny in an hour.

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buck-50 said:
That's why you need a bike with fenders...:D
No that's why everyone in front of me in the pace line needs fenders! :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have heard folks take out the seat pole (and maybe bars) and hang bike upside down so the seat pole is vertical and pointed down. This lets any water (that may later vaporize) drain from bb out the seat hole. I believe it is the bb where you don't want water to accumulate and vaporize and penetrate the sealed bearings inside the bb, but same could be said for head set, that's why remove the bars too.

You could also be sure to oil the spokes where they contact the nipples, and the cables inside their housing, and all the springs and contact points on the derailleurs and brakes on the next major cleaning you do (which should be soon).

Chain needs a bath for sure if you did not remove it to clean, you should the grit will have penetrated the links.

/h

1 - 11 of 11 Posts