Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A nice Back Bay sunrise.

I lived in SoCal for 20+ years-Claremont, Irvine and Huntington Beach. Of course I commuted by bike then too but I was still doing a bit of racing (mostly off-road but a bit of off-dirt too).

Last week I had the chance to check out some of my old stomping grounds.

I commuted through the Back Bay for many many years. On a nice morning it was tough to get off the bike and actually go to work.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Followed by Glendora Ridge Road.

Those were the days.

I moved to Claremont from Hawaii in 1976 when Santana Cycles offered me a job. It was a great place to work and when there wasn't any smog it was a great place to live and ride. One of my favorite rides was a 40ish mile loop of Glendora Ridge and Mountain Roads to Baldy Village and a quick descent back to Claremont.

Orange County and Claremont have changed a bunch since I left 10 years ago but the riding is still sweet.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I love that road that steps up the side of the mountain. Cool and constant views! Also, those century? plants are awesome. Saw some blooming down by Carmel when we were there a little while ago.

On a totally different note, you guys should be cooking today in D.C. Hope it's not affecting your riding too much. I'd be collapsing under that heat!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
I may have to take a few day trips to go riding down there. Looks great.

LOVE that last shot.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You just had to post those pictures of the back bay didn't you.:p At times I really miss that, but I know I would never go back there to live. We had quite a few experiences their. I owe my start to you and have never really thanked you for that and I really do appreciate every thing you did back at good ole S in Irvine.

I was back in HB Costa Mesa about 5 years ago wow what a change and Irvine wow not like the old days. I did meet up with George Y.
Anyways to the good ole days.

Ray Still

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Very nice, MB. Glad you got to get some good riding in while you were out here!

How is the climb for Glendora Ridge?

joe

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JoeDaddio said:
Very nice, MB. Glad you got to get some good riding in while you were out here!

How is the climb for Glendora Ridge?

joe
It is a great fun low gear grind it out climb if you are in good shape. It is just too long and has almost no flat to be any fun if you aren't in shape.

OTOH do it a few times a season and you will shape right up.

Killer switchback downhill.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
il sogno said:
MB what bike did you use for Glendora Ridge?

/great pics!
Our old tandem without a stoker (I was on my way to Santana to trade in the old Team Ti for the new Carbon S&S Beyond).

Fine climbing, sucked descending since there was no weight on the rear wheel for braking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.