Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it took me until very recently to realize many if not most riders are wearing pretty long socks for cycling. In the pro peloton they seem to be getting even longer.

I've always worn pretty short socks... but what's your take on sock length?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
most of mine are 4-7 inches...

don't really care for anything below the ankle or higher than mid-calf.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Fashions come and go but for me, if I'm wearing anything other than long pants, if my socks cover my ankles they're too long.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not particular - for cycling anything that goes over the ankle bone and under the wider part of the calf is fine - so, like 3" up to 6" or 7" is fine.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Mid calf tan lines? No thanks.
Besides, my calves are too large for long socks. They don't stay up. And I'm not wearing sock garters!

Garters that clipped the socks to the hem of the shorts, instead of around the calf, would change the look to something that you may be happier with.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ankle for me. But I don't care what anyone else wears.

Reactions: Bikephelps

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
And you need coverage that far up your legs, why? Why not just be done with it and wear some dress socks?!
-To provide a little warmth and coverage between where the knee warmer ends and the shoes. Or to have full coverage with knickers.

-I do use wool dress socks......when I want full leg coverage without using leg warmers.

In the summer 2 inches seems about right to me but I also have some 4 and 0 inch socks and it really doesn't make any difference which ones I use.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I notice more and more folks wearing tall socks at the gym. I assumed that they are some sort of compression sock that promotes blood flow to the calves.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
But I don't care what anyone else wears.
This.

For me, it depends on weather conditions, not what anybody else thinks is fashionable.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
A couple of inches above the ankle... don't know what that really is... 4 to 6 inches? But nothing higher than that for me, everything is just stupid!

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I'm a Fred. I like black, mid-calf socks. :cool:
I occasionally have a good chuckle when looking down at my feet when riding in black socks and remembering my father in his Florsheim's and black socks while wearing Bermuda shorts.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No show socks that are not any taller than my shoe. Don't need any funny tan lines on my legs. I buy the multipack socks from Walmart for $10., black color, , wear them every day, to work, to play, to ride for a season, and then donate them to charity and buy a new set. New socks are a nice little luxury, IMO.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not particular - for cycling anything that goes over the ankle bone and under the wider part of the calf is fine - so, like 3" ....
:)

Garters that clipped the socks to the hem of the shorts, instead of around the calf, would change the look to something that you may be happier with.
Bwahahahahahaha, those rock if you wear a suit to work everyday...keeps socks up and shirts always perfectly tucked! Yes, I still have a pair somewhere for when I have to put on ma monkey suit. :)

For me, it depends on weather conditions, not what anybody else thinks is fashionable.
Precisely. I mostly wear wool cycling socks everyday all the time, when it's colder I wear thicker and little taller socks, whens it's warm...well you get the idea.

I like wool socks, Smartwool are nice and I like them best when they're on sale.
Yessirreeee! Me three! :)

I occasionally have a good chuckle when looking down at my feet when riding in black socks and remembering my father in his Florsheim's and black socks while wearing Bermuda shorts.
ROTFLMFAO :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I notice more and more folks wearing tall socks at the gym. I assumed that they are some sort of compression sock that promotes blood flow to the calves.
A week old thread I know but this just happened to me yesterday. A guy flew by me :( yesterday on a TT bike wearing socks up to the knee cap. I just assume that as stated above it's a compression experiment (some say it works, some say not). And it'll help my post count :) .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts