Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My socks suck. I started looking at them with the critical eye here in the last few weeks. The ones that are solid colored that I bought to somewhat match team kit, the elastic is stretching out and they just sort of hang/lay there. The rest of the white ones have some stupid logo on the cuff. DeFeet logo is okay, I'm talkin' about almost Primal wear type geek socks that were freebes from somewhere I think. Then I have a series of wool socks that are too heavy for summer wear. And I hate paying shipping on socks so buying online kinda stinks, $8 shipping for a pair of socks that cost $8? Nyet. I know I should bundle those items when I order something online but have not done so in a while. LBS? Plain white? Is that the current style rules? Any suggestions?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Free yourself

Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
My socks suck. I started looking at them with the critical eye here in the last few weeks. The ones that are solid colored that I bought to somewhat match team kit, the elastic is stretching out and they just sort of hang/lay there. The rest of the white ones have some stupid logo on the cuff. DeFeet logo is okay, I'm talkin' about almost Primal wear type geek socks that were freebes from somewhere I think. Then I have a series of wool socks that are too heavy for summer wear. And I hate paying shipping on socks so buying online kinda stinks, $8 shipping for a pair of socks that cost $8? Nyet. I know I should bundle those items when I order something online but have not done so in a while. LBS? Plain white? Is that the current style rules? Any suggestions?
Ever consider going sockless? The only time I wear socks is when I need them to keep warm. Just a thought :)

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Depends if you care about style or not. I get the plain white poly/cotton runner style in the 6-pack at Target and my feet are happy campers. Of course, I don't win style awards.

You might try your local outlet mall / Ross type places to find the name-brand stuff cheap.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am always on the hunt for crossover wear, just looked in Marshalls the other day

Creakyknees said:
Depends if you care about style or not. I get the plain white poly/cotton runner style in the 6-pack at Target and my feet are happy campers. Of course, I don't win style awards.

You might try your local outlet mall / Ross type places to find the name-brand stuff cheap.
But I really like the uber thin coolmax socks. Sockless is not for me, I'm not from West Virginia. :p

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Performance Elite Coolmax. Black or white. No logo. Seem to last forever. Never lose their stretch, as far as I can tell. On sale right now for 6 bucks. Buy 3 pairs, or 6, so the shipping doesn't seem so bad.

Creaky, I never understood how people wear cotton socks. It's the worst possible fiber for the use, IMO. When you sweat, it gets wet and stays wet. YM obviously V.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Performance Coolmax kevlar. GRAY. No logo. Seem to last forever. Never lose their stretch, as far as I can tell. On sale right now for 6 bucks. Buy 3 pairs, or 6, so the shipping doesn't seem so bad.

if they start out gray the'll never look dingy

· Registered
49 Posts
Smartwool

Go with Smartwool. Buy one pair and you'll never buy another brand again for cycling, running or anything athletic. They last a long time and actually somehow feel cooler than the normal cycling socks. I use the gray "cycling ultralight" socks but they come in all sorts of heights and styles. They aren't cheap but trust me, one pair and that's all you need to drink the Kool Aid.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Ever consider going sockless? The only time I wear socks is when I need them to keep warm. Just a thought :)

That's kinda hawt coming from Kerry, NTTAWWT.

Wait...this ain't Teh Lounj3 :eek:

· Registered
136 Posts
hendo said:
Go with Smartwool. Buy one pair and you'll never buy another brand again for cycling, running or anything athletic. They last a long time and actually somehow feel cooler than the normal cycling socks. I use the gray "cycling ultralight" socks but they come in all sorts of heights and styles. They aren't cheap but trust me, one pair and that's all you need to drink the Kool Aid.
Yep. Good in the winter, or summer heat.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
TJ Maxx and Marshalls

I've picked up a pair of sport socks at TJ Maxx and a pair of wool socks at their sister store, Marshalls. They carry seconds, over runs, and over stock. I see no problem with them and they are good with returns.

· Registered
381 Posts
I really like the DeFeet brand of socks. I have wool ones for the winter, and Aireator's for the summer. My LBS stocks them in lots of differnet colors and styles, from mild to wild, so I don't have to order them online. I guess that is an advantage of living in a large metro area.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
MT Road said:

$11-17 per pair?! LMAO... for that price they better be good. but damm, they're just socks. plus OP is tired of paying $8 per pair, doubt he's gonna shell out for those

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.