Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a brooks b17. For a long time, it was pretty hard/stiff (couldn't really flex it when pushing down on it with my hand). Not uncomfortable, mind you, just stiff. Then outa nowhere, I noticed it seems way more flexible than before. If I push down with not that much force, the sides kinda fold out and the top squishes down pretty easily. I think it may have happened after I rode it in some pretty heavy rain w/ no cover or anything but I'm not sure. It still feels about the same when sitting on it but I'm worried that I may have messed it up somehow. Like it won't last as long or something? I guess it could just be my imagination but I dunno. What should I do?!:confused: :eek: :cryin:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
You can increase the tension

The tension bolt under the nose, tighten it up a few cranks with the wrench. That increases the overall surface tension.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rain will do that to a Brooks. I carry a plastic bag in my seat bag to put over mine in case of rain.
Go easy with the tension bolt, though. Better to ease up on the right tension over a couple of rides than to overstretch right off the bat.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
CoryF said:
Rain will do that to a Brooks. I carry a plastic bag in my seat bag to put over mine in case of rain.
Go easy with the tension bolt, though. Better to ease up on the right tension over a couple of rides than to overstretch right off the bat.
+1 to keeping wet away from your Brooks.
Plastic bag or shower cap in tool bag for emergency.
Go real easy/slo on changing the tension. Easy to over do it.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Brooks Saddles

I have had a total of 5 Brooks saddles. For some reason, it seams to me that the honey color softens up faster than the black.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've found that my Brooks that has around 9000 miles on it is more flexible than my newer Brooks saddles. Although I don't think mine is quite as flexible as the OP describes.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Let me understand this completely. The world's greatest bike saddle comes from the land of constant showers and needs a hat to go out in the rain? How it could possibly be better than my decades old San Marcos that fit me perfectly from the day I bought them, weigh less, have longer rails for more adjustment and survive countless rainy rides without a shower cap, special treatment, or adjustment?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts