Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just into racing since last August, and wondering if there is a way to make my stock CAAD9 Optimo 1 absorb road vibration/bumps without sacrificing it's stiffness or race-worthiness.

So, my areas of potential upgrade seem to be:

Seatpost
Handlebars
Stem

Are night and day differences out of the question? Should I just put the parts money into a new bike (guessing above parts will be $500 in carbon).

I ride in NYC, train in central park and frequently ride over to NJ (river road)...if you can imagine there are lots of areas with shoddy pavement and with the state budgets where they are i think it will get worse...

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
Tires.

Good ones.

As long as it starts with a "V", you'll be good.

My suggestion, get a set of the new Vittoria 320 TPI Open Corsa clinchers....................... 320 TPI = damn near a tubbie feel. Awesome tire.

Starnut

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
could also run 5-10 less psi in your current tires, assuming you already have nice tires. starnut is right - the 'V' is for Vittoria and Veloflex.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
jtferraro said:
could also run 5-10 less psi in your current tires, assuming you already have nice tires. starnut is right - the 'V' is for Vittoria and Veloflex.

and Vredestein. The 3 "V"s.

Starnut

·
Registered
80 Posts
10 psi lower pressure = bigger difference in feel and comfort than a carbon frame, much less bars and a seatpost.

Save you money- get nice tires and run them softer. Or spend the cash on a tubular wheelset...

My HED Ardennes clinchers are low-pressure friendly (and light as all get-out), and give my CAAD9 a great ride.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
Hi Guys:

At what pressure do you guys run your tires? I usually run 110 front & 115 rear. Sometimes I'll run 110 all the way. Currently I use Pro 3 Race and have found the ride very comfortable and quick. When I ran my old Pro 2 Race, anything below 120psi felt very mushy.

I have tried the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp at their max rating of 145psi. That was a bone jaring ride, even on smoother surfaces.

CHL

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
agreed. tires make the biggest difference... including lower pressure...

seatpost and stem makes no diff - makes sense when u think about it.... carbon bars can help with vibration a little, but if you are a sprinter and man handle the headtube/bars on occasion you may find some of the carbon bars more flexy then their alloy equiv... unless u get into some of the expensive bars perhaps...

·
Registered
570 Posts
wankski said:
agreed. tires make the biggest difference... including lower pressure...

seatpost and stem makes no diff - makes sense when u think about it.... carbon bars can help with vibration a little, but if you are a sprinter and man handle the headtube/bars on occasion you may find some of the carbon bars more flexy then their alloy equiv... unless u get into some of the expensive bars perhaps...
When I had my CAAD 8 I swapped out the Ritchey WCS alloy seatpost for a WCS carbon jobby and the difference was great, it took the little bit of vibration out of the rear end. Best upgrade I made on it.

cheers

Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts