Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a stock 2005 R700 and would like to soften the blows from bumps, holes, etc. on the front end. My question is what will give me the "least" banging for the buck? Am I better off going carbon with the handlebar, fork or wheels? Any other suggestions would be appreiciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Porcupines93 said:
I am riding a stock 2005 R700 and would like to soften the blows from bumps, holes, etc. on the front end. My question is what will give me the "least" banging for the buck? Am I better off going carbon with the handlebar, fork or wheels? Any other suggestions would be appreiciated.
What size tires are you using? If you are using 22s or 23s, you might want to try something wider. That's probably the cheapest and easiest thing you could change.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try better and bigger tire first, highend tires are bit more supple than most oem tires and 25mm tires will be bit smoother. Of course you can experiment first if you can ride with little less pressure on the front.
Other easy solutions are thicker gloves, double taping handlebars and raising your riding position a little.

That said, I've changed forks on my older Cannondale (CAAD4) which had Time alu/carbon fork to full carbon Look. Result is much smoother ride and highly recommended if that other stuff doesn't work.

According to some French magazine test results that Time fork is brutally stiff and some riders have complained that older Look forks are too flexy. Whatever, I'm happy with the results now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doesn't your stock 2005 R700 already come with a carbon fork?? It should be the base Slice SI carbon fork. Basically carbon blades with an aluminum steerer and dropouts.

I would agree with going to a wider tire. The stock model should've come with 23mm tires. Trading in for 25mm tires at a slightly lower pressure should make a substantial difference. You also might want to try going with higher quality butyl tubes - the suppleness might make a difference. What about something like the Fizik gel pads which go under the bartape?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.