Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Last year I bought a Trek Soho. When I bought it I didn't understand much of bikes.
I went with the bike home and then I became with some doubts about the size.
I told the seller that but i trusted him, because he said it was the right size for me.
During 6 months i couldn't use the bike because i was outside of my city.
Now I returned. I still think the bike is a little small.
I saw many formulas in the net, like the lemond formula but I don't know which is the right size for me.
It is also impossible to try the bikes, because here is a small village and there aren't so many stores with trek bikes. To do that I would have to make 100 miles to go to a city.
My bike is a trek soho 17,5. When i bought it there was no correspondence to which size that refered. Now in the site there is an information that 17,5 is an S, and 20' is an M.
I am 1,81 m , I think that is 5'11'' in USA.
I don't know for you what is right? It should be the M, because i am thinking in trading my bike to another soho 20' (sell mine and buy other used).
What are the main formulas you can use to calculate the bike fit?
Another thing I would like to convert this a bike, to a little faster bike, like the trek 7.9 fx. Which main changes can I do to improve the performance of the soho?

thanx
Micael, Portugal

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
mega_biscoito said:
Hello!
Last year I bought a Trek Soho. When I bought it I didn't understand much of bikes.
I went with the bike home and then I became with some doubts about the size.
I told the seller that but i trusted him, because he said it was the right size for me.
During 6 months i couldn't use the bike because i was outside of my city.
Now I returned. I still think the bike is a little small.
I saw many formulas in the net, like the lemond formula but I don't know which is the right size for me.
It is also impossible to try the bikes, because here is a small village and there aren't so many stores with trek bikes. To do that I would have to make 100 miles to go to a city.
My bike is a trek soho 17,5. When i bought it there was no correspondence to which size that refered. Now in the site there is an information that 17,5 is an S, and 20' is an M.
I am 1,81 m , I think that is 5'11'' in USA.
I don't know for you what is right? It should be the M, because i am thinking in trading my bike to another soho 20' (sell mine and buy other used).
What are the main formulas you can use to calculate the bike fit?
Another thing I would like to convert this a bike, to a little faster bike, like the trek 7.9 fx. Which main changes can I do to improve the performance of the soho?

thanx
Micael, Portugal
IMO before you make performance improvements you need to determine if this is the correct size frame for you. The quickest and easiest way to do that is to set the saddle to the correct height. I've included a video that'll assist you in doing that. One thing to be aware of is that if you set the saddle to the correct height and can see the max line on the seatpost, the bike is too small for you. Any bike shop should be able to assist you with this, if need be.
Here's the link:
http://www.bicyclesource.com/seat_height_adjustment
One other thing. I recommend using the instruction in the video as a guide. The text under it (IMO) is not the best method for setting saddle height.

BTW, 1.81 metres equals 5' 9".

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx I will try it.
How do you make the conversion of 1,81 to 5'9''

I made it like this
1 feet = 30,48cm = 0,3048 m
1 pol= 2,54cm = 0,0254 m
------
5' 11''
------------
5 x 0,3048 = 1,524
11 x0,0254 =0,2794
then
1,524+0,2794=1,8034
-----------
if 9 x 0,0254= 0,2286
1,524+0,2286=1,75

13,019 Posts
mega_biscoito said:
Thanx I will try it.
How do you make the conversion of 1,81 to 5'9''

I made it like this
1 feet = 30,48cm = 0,3048 m
1 pol= 2,54cm = 0,0254 m
------
5' 11''
------------
5 x 0,3048 = 1,524
11 x0,0254 =0,2794
then
1,524+0,2794=1,8034
-----------
if 9 x 0,0254= 0,2286
1,524+0,2286=1,75
I used a conversion calculator. :)

13,019 Posts
mega_biscoito said:
I have done what you said.
I can't see the max line of the seatpost, but I also saw that it is 1 cm of the limit.
I also think the distance of arms to the handlebar is bit a short. I don't feel so right.
I understand. Determining your saddle height was the quickest and easiest way to determine if your bike was too small for your size, but it doesn't address issues of reach, which may be your fit problem.

The good news though, is that if your saddle height can be safely attained on your current bike, you may be able to adjust for reach with a (presumably) longer stem. That given, the next step would be for you to decide how much longer you'd like to extend your reach. Your LBS should be able to easily assist you with that adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.