Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Yep, it will work like a charm. I've done this many times and it's no problem.. just remember if you want to do the front too, it's a 9mm axle and not 10mm like the rear.

I've found it easiest the mount the hub/axle in the dropouts and adjust alignment while it's in the dropouts. I find it easier than trying measure.

·
Registered
669 Posts
asterisk said:
Why risk the slippage? I'm fairly certain you can get a better hold from a track nut than a quick release.
Shouldn't be any slippage if tightened properly with a steel QR. Mountain bike gearing could definitley generate enough force to cause wheel slippage but road gearing is usuallly not low enought to cause any issues. Tracknuts hail more from track tradition, where QRs are not allowed, but are not really necessary for road use. Nobody seems to worry about geared bikes (with older horizontal dropout) axles slipping but in reality granny gearing will generate much more force than a fixed bike running 60 - 80 gear inches.

No harm in using track nuts, I was just trying to point out to the OP that I don't think it is necessary to spend the extra money for a solid axle when the one he has now will run just fine and be more convenient.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I drilled two holes in my peanut butter wrench and mounted it where the water bottle cage goes on the seat tube. I never worry about forgetting my wrench..When riding fixed, I don't like QR's...
lol but will you remember the allen wrench to undo the bolts holding your wrench on?:p

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Prefer solid axle.

My road fixie has a solid axle and the track nuts hold it firmly in place. My U-bike has a quick release and the front of the rear wheel moves very slowly towards the left chain stay. Every month or two I have to reposition it, which isn't that big a deal, but neither is carrying a stubby wrench in my seat bag. With God's help, I'll continue getting flats less often than every few months and the current set up will continue making sense.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
an off the shelf axle will work too....

jrm said:
I have a 105 hub with a QR and found this http://www.unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=141

Will this work and how easy is the job...

Thanks..
I converted a 7sp freehub w/ an axle and track nuts from the LBS (reused the original cones and locknuts) and that worked fine.....and also welded the freehub to "fix" it, but that is another story...anyway, the entire setup has held up for a few years now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.