Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen or used one of these cassettes from Fetish Cycles? I bought a SS MTB from them and was just surfing their site and came upon this gem.

THE FETISH CNC MACHINED 7050 ELECTROPLATED ALUMINUM CASSETTE IS MADE FROM ONE SOLID BLOCK OF ALUMINUM AND SCULPTED TO MAKE THE MOST INCREDIBLE CASSETTE IN THE INDUSTRY. WE HAVE 11/21 (96 GRAMS), 11/23 (102 GRAMS) , 11/25 (107 GRAMS) , AND 11/27 (112 GRAMS)

RETAIL $ 379.99

http://www.fetishcycles.com/BottomBrackets.html

The price is prohibitive, at least for me, and the gearing is not my style either but this is one serious looking piece of machinery. I think it would be race day only for those interested.

This isn't an ad for Fetish and I'm not connected with them in any way (except as a buyer of one of their bikes). Just thought this was interesting.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
a bargain too...

well I like these actually but i wouldn't put one on a bike that gets to be ridden very often. It would be quite a pity to ruin such a cassette by wearing it out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Amer. Classic and IRD make similar cassettes, and have for a while.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
American Classic alum. cassette

SDizzle said:
Amer. Classic and IRD make similar cassettes, and have for a while.
The American Classic aluminum cassette uses individual sprockets, it isn't CNC'ed out of one piece like the Fetish or IRD cassette. This was important to me, because I'm still running a 9spd drive train, and I was able to re-space an American Classic 10spd cassette to 9spd spacing.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What's the advantage? weight? Looks cool but so what? Does it have the ramps that shimano or campy do? $379 can buy at least 4 chorus level cassettes.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Way overpriced. A better solution would be to CNC separate cogs, possibly bolted together like the old Uniglide cassettes were. As a one piece, the small cogs will wear quickly and then the whole cassette is trashed. A better solution would seem to be to CNC just the largest two or four cogs and expect the customer to use those in place of what comes with a regular cassette.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
American Classic cassette

cmg said:
What's the advantage? weight? Looks cool but so what? Does it have the ramps that shimano or campy do? $379 can buy at least 4 chorus level cassettes.
Well, I certainly wouldn't pay $379 for the Fetish CNC cassette. I paid something like $120 for the American Classic alum. cassette, which is about the price of a Chorus cassette. The Am. Class. cassette has ramps and gates, and shifting performance is similar to Campagnolo cassettes.

I bought it specifically for my hill climb bike because it weighs much less than a steel or steel/ti cassette, and also less than an all ti cassette. I don't expect it to last many miles, but I only use it for special events, so it doesn't see more than a hundred miles a year.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Aluminum cassettes. Do not, I repeat do not waste your money. The teeth break off very easily if you shift under any kind of load. They wear quickly, if they work for any length of time. If you cash to burn buy a Dura Ace cassette and send the extra to me. I have seen four all aluminum cassettes over the years and every one had broken teeth with less than 50 miles. There best application is on Interbike models where they hang on a scale to show every body how retarded light you can build a bike. That's build not ride.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
I'll take two

Even if I had the cash to waste on these, I'd be afraid of breaking it. It is, however, an impressive looking piece of manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mark McM said:
The American Classic aluminum cassette uses individual sprockets, it isn't CNC'ed out of one piece like the Fetish or IRD cassette.
Hmm. Am. Classic definitely makes a one-piece CNC'd cassette. A teammate of mine got one through our sponsorship, and it wasn't any sort of special deal. I don't know any other details than that, but I have held it in my hand. ...Seemed like a huge waste of money to me!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Those are KCNC Cassettes..

Here is my Campy 11-21

I love mine. Shifts as well as anything I have used from Shimano. I have a 1000+ miles now and it's running smooth!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
American Classic aluminum cassettes - individual sprockets

SDizzle said:
Hmm. Am. Classic definitely makes a one-piece CNC'd cassette. A teammate of mine got one through our sponsorship, and it wasn't any sort of special deal. I don't know any other details than that, but I have held it in my hand. ...Seemed like a huge waste of money to me!
Are you sure about that? That's not what it indicates on the
American Classic aluminun cassettes web page. According to the web page, "American Classic aluminum cogs are made from 7075-T6 alloy. Cogs are individual and bolted together with steel pins." Maybe you were confused about it being CNCed' from one piece because the entire cassette is bolted together into a single assembly, instead of being on several 2 or 3 sprocket carriers, like many other cassettes. The bolts are easily removed and the sprockets seperated, as I have done when I respaced a 10spd cassette to 9spd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need info on kcnc 12x27 cogs.they are lighter than my 7800 duraace cogs by 60gms.I just purchased a gold 10 speed kmc chain,and they are recommending kcnc/bearbones/ cogs to match it.Somebody told me that the kcnc cogs easily wears out compared to my 7800 cogs?
mody

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
....and when you wear out just the 16 tooth cog, you get to buy another $350 cassette. What a deal!!!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
cmg said:
Where are you buying Chorus cassettes for that sort of price? I want in!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Seems like, since this thread stared in March, they've switched from Aluminum to Titanium. Wonder what that's going for...

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
My $0.02

My gut reaction is that no one "needs" one of these, not even top pros, certainly not anyone posting here. That said:

1. Truly an amazing piece of manufacturing. Somebody really had fun designing and building it, especially if they are getting paid to do so.
  2. I understand why some people may want one. However, far more practical to purchase the tops shelf stuff from major manufacturers.
  3. I am surprised that they can make it at a profit for that price given the limited demand, the production runs must be short and material and set-up costs high.
  4. I echo all of the previously expressed concerns about durability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts