Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Soma Double Cross Disk commuter just finished

I just finished my Soma Double Cross Disk commuter rig. I was just looking to build something that I could easily throw a couple of bags on an jam to work. Its a 1x10 because I never use the small gear to and from work so it seemed like a waste to have on there.

Soma Double Cross Disc frame
Nashbar carbon fork
Shimano 105 Cranks
Shimano 105 Rear DR
Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifter
Cole CX wheels
Origin 8 bullhorn bars
Crane cross levers
PDW rear rack
Vittoria Randornneur Cross Pro City 35's View attachment 277462 View attachment 277463 View attachment 277464 View attachment 277465

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I have been riding it that past week and it is a blast. I took it out this weekend for 16 miles of mixed riding. We had street, dirt fire roads, mountain trails and the bike did great. The only thing that I am going to change is the bars, I like the bullhorn bars but I need to try to find ones with a shorter reach, sometimes concept and reality don't match up. I thought the bullhorns would simulate the reach to the hoods on drop bars but it is a bit further. But all in all if that's the only thing that needs change I am doing OK.
View attachment 277822

·
your text here
13,195 Posts
i was been looking at the somas lately. what is the weight like? i know it wont be a carbon wunder frame, but is it a pig? i lifted a surly crosscheck a few months back and was surprised at how heavy it was. i know build has a lot to do with it, but it was heeeeaaaaavvvvvvy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a few bikes and I would say that the Double Cross is mid weight, I think the frame is about 4 lbs and it would depend on what forks you put on as to the finished weight of the completed frame group. This is my first steel frame build and I was actually expecting it to be heavier but when I took it out of the box I was actually surprised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the double cross DC in 52cm (similar to a road bike size 55cm) complete build as a CX bike with disc brakes and 35mm CX tires comes in exactly at 22lbs. With road tires it comes down to about 21.5lbs. Carbon fork but aluminum everywhere else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like it very much so far. The gold is elegant with silver and white, wasn't sure if I'd like it, but seem very classy. It rides well. Using shimano new cx75 brake calipers with avid hs1 rotor combo works extremely well. I took a chance there and am pleased with the lightweight stopping power and compatibility. Chainstay clearance on my 50t front ring is as tight as I'd like to see. Only minor gripe is soma should have gone with 135mm spacing on the rear with a disc only frame. A minor nuisance.

·
Not your typical Cat
49 Posts
Only minor gripe is soma should have gone with 135mm spacing on the rear with a disc only frame. A minor nuisance.
Ive been seriously considering building a Soma DC in disc but the rear spacing has me second guessing it, I want to go 135 in the way of Stans new Iron Cross Disc wheel.
Was planning on 1x10 also because my commute too is short and flat and never leave the 39T on my mountain bike now. Builds like this cant shave a few grams and keep costs down also, only one shifter, no frt der, cable. I know this bike can be built under 20lbs, and really considering it.

Great looking bikes guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. The 132.5mm rear spacing shouldn't hold you back. I used DT240 centerlock hubs at 135mm and you have to tug on the dropouts lightly to fit the wheel in, but it would not hold me back from getting it again. In fact I just swapped this frame in to replace an original DC frame I've had for several years (mainly for the new color, I'll prob sell my old midnight silver one). I searched and couldn't find a better alternative for the price so I bought it again. Sub 20# sounds doable but prob 19.5 be a reasonable floor. Disc brakes and steel frame I estimate is a 2.5-3# penalty relative to lighter road bikes. I say go for it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I built a bike with a similar concept. It's a Gravity Zilla. The rear spacing is 135mm and I used 29er MTB wheels. At the moment I'm running 700x40 tires with ample space for the fenders. I started out with a Salsa Woodchipper dirt drop but am now running a Wald #8095, similar to a Nitto North Road but $13.65 instead of the Nitto price. I mounted it upside down so that it has a drop rather than a rise. It is a giant improvement. It's 22.2mm in the grip area so it's compatible with MTB brake levers and shifters but the integrated road levers that I'm using snug right down on them too. I'm thinking of changing to Shimano Deore hydraulic discs and MTB shifters. The newest Deore discs put the Avid road discs that I'm now using, to shame.

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
How is the fit/finish of the Soma? I am thinking about switching out my Giant Defy 1 frameset for the Soma ES because the Giant has too much of a saddle to handlebar drop. The new ES has the downtube panel like your Double Cross which I like.

Thumbs up on build.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.