Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soma Doublecrossers what do you think of your bikes? I am thinking of getting one to put my road bike kit on. I have canti's and figure it would be good for trailer pulling and when my son gets on a trail a bike. I do a few road rides with my buds and don't race so I figure it should be a good roadie too. Any thoughts?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I've had one since 2003. I've used it for road, commuting, MTB (2.1" 29er front, 44C rear), CX racing, SS, fixed (ENO ecc.), 3x9, 2x9, 1x9, 3x1 -- just about everything. If it had clearance for a 29er tire in the rear and semi-horizontal drops it would be perfect. And a horizontal TT (granted, personal preference).

·
Registered
183 Posts
jfn3 said:
Soma Doublecrossers what do you think of your bikes? I am thinking of getting one to put my road bike kit on. I have canti's and figure it would be good for trailer pulling and when my son gets on a trail a bike. I do a few road rides with my buds and don't race so I figure it should be a good roadie too. Any thoughts?

I had one for a year of commuter duty. My only problem was the darn thing didn't track straight. I tried different wheelsets but it made no difference. I measured the frame every whichway and could not find an alignment problem. Ultimately I sold it.

I assume you know how large they fit.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I was thinking about getting one for my sister in law. It is one of the only steel frames that runs in a 42. 28" SO and my sis in law is 27. 650c wheels and maybe...? Hmmmm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not trying to change the subject of the thread but the sizes seam to run large (TT is long).

what size do the 6 feet people ride? 56,58,60?

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
pryde said:
I'm not trying to change the subject of the thread but the sizes seam to run large (TT is long).

what size do the 6 feet people ride? 56,58,60?
I've got a 58cm Doublecross that I've been riding for about 4-5 years now mostly under commuter duty. It gets anywhere from 150-200 miles a week and it sees a lot of varied conditions as I do ride it on some not-so-mellow singletrack, gravel canal paths as well as asphalt on the daily commute. The long top tube is one of the reasons I bought it. I'm only 6' but have some pretty long arms and I'm using a 110mm stem.

As a dedicated cross frame? I'd probably run a size smaller and have a completely different parts mix. Mine is 105/Ultegra with some Delgado Cross rims, Brooks saddle, Nitto 155 bars, etc.

All that said, it has been one of my favorite frames with a durable powdercoat and never experienced an issue with alignment (barring the time I ran dead-on into a curb and bent the fork). I plan on keeping it for quite some time.

john

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
robow7 said:
Why the heck do they make the effect. top tubes so darn long?
because that grants you a low standover height. if you don't race (for some, even if you race), i don't think a long front triangle has any disadvantage.

i've never raced. probably never will. i ride my doublecross both as a roadie and as a mountain bike. it shares the same mtb trails with many full suspension bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my double cross DC is in the mail... should be here tomorrow. :-D

i'm 6', 34" standover and ordered a 56... i'll let you know how that works out for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.