Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Soma frames, I'm attracted by the simplicity and classic look. Would I be able to use the Soma ES Road Sport Frame for competitive cycling?

Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Smoothie and just bought a Stanyan frame real cheep. I dont know what you mean by competitive but they are fine frames. I really like mine.
Thank you for your response. I'm currently not racing, I would use it more for communing to work and ocassional long rides. I meant "competitive cycling" if I wanted to do a race on it... will my performance be compromised by the weight of the frame?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I dont know. I dont race and am not interested in racing. I am sure you would do fine though. Its the rider not the bike that makes you fast. I go out all the time on group rides in the 18-20 mpg average and its not holding me back. Or, maybe it is. I dont know.it is fun to ride and very comfortable too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
light bikes are really fun to ride. I really enjoy my 17lb Roubaix...and my 20.5lb coupled travel bike. Both will get you to the finish line...one just a micro hair faster than the other. In most cases, half the picture is the motor = you and another part of the equation is the bike. I most always choose the light bike cause it just kicks more ass mo bettah.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
light bikes are really fun to ride. I really enjoy my 17lb Roubaix...and my 20.5lb coupled travel bike. Both will get you to the finish line...one just a micro hair faster than the other. In most cases, half the picture is the motor = you and another part of the equation is the bike. I most always choose the light bike cause it just kicks more ass mo bettah.
Really? My 16lb bike climbs better than my Soma, Columbus steel Lemond with or my winter cross bike but thats pretty much where it ends. On the road just riding they are about the same.
I am in the midwest. We dont have long climbs or have to stop and start very often so that may be why there isnt much difference.

But hey, if it does better things to asses and that suits you. Go for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They're nicely designed frames at a good price. If you plan to race, the frame won't hold you back. Your drivetrain and bike fit will factor more into race performance than the frame, and none of those things will have near as much effect on your performance as your cycling ability and lack of race experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you don't mind telling, how cheap is "real cheep"? Can't seem to find a Stanyan frameset for less than $700. I tried looking on google but no luck. Is there a "pricegrabber" for bikes?
I ran into Soma frames at Tagglia.com, i emailed them and told me they had limited availability. I saw the Stanyan for $586 + shipping.

Anyway, what's so special about the Stanyan when i can buy the Smoothie or ES road for way less?

Btw a pricegrabber just for bikes wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm sure someone already thought of that.

·
Fred the Clydesdale
1,807 Posts
I bought a Soma Smoothie frame off of ebay and built it up. It is an awesome bike. It has a very nice feel to it. I would not say it was light, but then I did not buy it to race. I like steel.

I do not race, but I believe others have already addressed that.

I can say that my Smoothie and I flow downhill mo betta than uphill, but that is the motor, not the frame. I rode RAGBRAI on the Smoothie and when going downhill, I coasted faster than most cyclists. I am in the Clydesdale class of cyclist (225), so that could have been a factor. YMMV

·
warrrrrrrgh!!!
4,354 Posts
I race, and yes you can race the ES. In fact, I hear that Soma bikes have infinite speed, the faster you pedal, the faster they go. No, it is not ideal for dedicated racing, but with some decent wheels and tires it will get you through the lower categories no problem.

Provided you can pedal it fast.

If it were me, I would not get a race frame to ride a lot and maybe do an occasional race. I would go for versatility.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.