Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nope, not koad for H&B but just messing around with some Black & White shots.

The first one is grainy on purpose as I used the film grain mode for that.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2cflyr said:
nice.

btw- you ever poast your grand prix pixxors?
They're too hassling to upload right now when I'm barely staying awake!

Tomorrow should be a good time to do em. Patience my good man.

//Thanks. Got the inspiration from some cyclingnews.com review of Levi's bike that I looked up again. There weren't close ups like what I did, but I did realize I wanted to try some bike related shots.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I like the grainy first one.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Like the look of the third one. Would have been nice to extend the focus a bit further down the TT, but you do what you can.

Not lovin' the film grain mode. It's a nice graphic application for a high-grain image, so good choice. But it looks artificial, because it seems to lay it down as a smooth layer.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Nice, I like number 2 the best. Great stuff.

B&W is so much more expressive in many ways. I need to try it a little more.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
danl1 said:
Like the look of the third one. Would have been nice to extend the focus a bit further down the TT, but you do what you can.

Not lovin' the film grain mode. It's a nice graphic application for a high-grain image, so good choice. But it looks artificial, because it seems to lay it down as a smooth layer.
Thanks.
I could have, but I didn't think of it at that time actually. In fact, that was just a shot I decided to try out since only the tv was on and I wanted to get the words in.

Hmm, good idea though.

The film grain mode makes it grainy on purpose actually. As part of it, it also shoots the image in ISO 1600 to achieve that effect I suppose.

I guess that outlines the lack of ability to take low noise images in high ISO settings, something I feel manufacturers should concentrate on rather than bump the MP count on slr-like/bridge/advanced p&s cameras. Mine does have fairly good images when the ISO is bumped from what I've compared to other similar cameras in the same class.

As far as the smoothness, that could have been due to me setting the noise reduction to a maximum from within the camera already (and possibly also due to me bumping the saturation?).

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VaughnA said:
Nice, I like number 2 the best. Great stuff.

B&W is so much more expressive in many ways. I need to try it a little more.
Thanks Vaughn. But, aww, come on, it's nowhere near great :blush2:

Yeah, I realize what you mean. It just changes the way an image appears when you take the colors out and use plain black and white.

rward325 said:
Me likes the the third one best. Good job on all of them though.
Thanks.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I haven't done a lot of non-P&S on digital, and I don't have a 'grainy' option on mine in any case. Just to say, I'm underqualified to discuss what camera parameters would fiddle with the effect.

But yeah, bumping the saturation and turning on NR might be at cross purposes to graininess. I'd be afraid that NR off might result in something more pixelated than grainy, but is seems like that might be more a problem in color than B&W. It also could be that the grainy filter would interaction with the noise to acheive the uneven splotchiness of real film grain.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
uzziefly said:
Thanks Vaughn. But, aww, come on, it's nowhere near great :blush2:
Compared to my stuff it is great.

I have trouble visualizing stuff like that. I've tried the DOF stuff on my bikes and they just don't do anything for me.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
uzziefly said:
The film grain mode makes it grainy on purpose actually.
danl1 said what I was thinking. Cool choice, high-tech bike and old-school film grain are a good choice but it doesn't really look like grainy black and white film to me. Digital hasn't really done this yet, compared to the look of Tri-X pushed to 1600 or some of the others.

Nik has a Photoshop plug-in that is pretty convincing though - Silver Efex Pro. This'll set you back - oh, about a Red cassette. The full version of Photoshop it'll work with is worth about the shifters. :)

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
I like the first one, too, though it would have been better if the TTX was in focus.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DrRoebuck said:
I like the first one, too, though it would have been better if the TTX was in focus.
So the grainy effect was pretty alright IYO?

I kinda wanted the brake calipers to be in the shot too so that's also why I focused in the way I did to an extent.

//Not to say anything, but I somehow think my close up shots seem to be better than non close ups/macros maybe. Hmm...

///Maybe yesterday was just a good day I suppose.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VaughnA said:
Compared to my stuff it is great.

I have trouble visualizing stuff like that. I've tried the DOF stuff on my bikes and they just don't do anything for me.
Heck no man! I'm not even using a DSLR!!!! I really like your toy photo set the other time and the one you posted very recently in another thread too.

Since you like these shots, I think you could try stuff out with the same angle or somewhat similar stuff to get something more towards your tastes for your own pictures.

I'm sure they'll turn out great.

I decided on B&W because it was already at night and I didn't want the background colors to be distracting in a way since my sofa is blue, and, the bike is blue as well.

Here's the gallery I got the inspiration from: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/200...pheimer_trek08/gallery-levi_leipheimer_trek08

A little more back story - I checked out that link again because I just got my bike setup with similar bars (base bars at least) as Levi has and my setup is somewhat similar to his as well so I was looking for pointers and pictures to see if I could tweak mine and get a feel of it too. Of course, my saddle is a lot higher that his and I am wondering how he rides with his elbows smacked by his knees from what seems like that :
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2009/mar09/castillaleon09/castillaleon092/20

1 - 16 of 16 Posts