Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were taken last week and this morning.

Usually snow doesnt bother my riding but today it was particularly hazardous. There was at least a 1 inch layer of ice on all the roads. Some places it was broken up so it was like riding up and down a driveway merge on the road. It was F*cking scary. I slammed into the back of a cab on the way in.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
Hey, that looks like the way I go! Great pictures

My wife forbid my from biking in today, so this is the first time I've taken the subway into work in 2006. Talk about boring :D

onespeed, what type of tires are you using? Did you use the bike lane on Hillary and if so, how was it?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Nice pictures.....

will you please learn how to size them.

Len

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude, it was dangerous today.

paulrad9 said:

My wife forbid my from bikini in today, so this is the first time I've taken the subway into work in 2006. Talk about boring :D

onespeed, what type of tires are you using? Did you use the bike lanes on Hillary and if so, how was it?
The bike lanes were not plowed today.

My tires are a Michelin Pro in the back 700X23 and a Conti in the front 700X23.

I was very envious of the wide tires I saw today. It took every bit of concentration to not go down this morning. Added an extra 10-15 minutes onto the commute because of all the broken ice.

Also, somebody took my picture as I was riding in today. I was at Houston and Lafayette and there was some guy in the street. As I passed he leaned over and i noticed he was holding a camera and snapping pictures as I was riding by. Moving the camera as I was passing him. I guess it was for the newspaper or something. I have to look in the papers tomorrow to see if I made it in.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You ride in a bikini????

paulrad9 said:

My wife forbid my from bikini in today, so this is the first time I've taken the subway into work in 2006. Talk about boring :D

onespeed, what type of tires are you using? Did you use the bike lane on Hillary and if so, how was it?
Isn't that kind of uncomfortable? And cold this time of the year I imagine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am really happy for those who can ride their bike to work. I work 30 miles from my home. Makes it difficult, but I am thinking of doing it when the weather breaks.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That ice does look nasty, the photos look great.

onespeed said:
These were taken last week and this morning.

Usually snow doesnt bother my riding but today it was particularly hazardous. There was at least a 1 inch layer of ice on all the roads. Some places it was broken up so it was like riding up and down a driveway merge on the road. It was F*cking scary. I slammed into the back of a cab on the way in.
We run studded tires anytime it gets icy around here. It is amazing how well they work on ice-we think we have better traction with studs on ice than we do with our normal tires on dry pavement. They are kind of expensive but well worth looking into as they last for years if you only ride them when it looks like it is going to be icy.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife also was not happy with me riding in.

paulrad9 said:

My wife forbid my from biking in today, so this is the first time I've taken the subway into work in 2006. Talk about boring :D

I am in the same boat.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
I have been calling around looking for a pair of Continental Town and Country tires because icebike.org recommends them as good 4 season tires. Unfortunately, these tires seem to be something I need to special order. In the interim, I'll just keep my eyes open with the hope they do a better job plowing in the next couple of days, then I can bring out my treadless tires again.

FWIW, I am envious that you got out; I was forced to spend my early morning on the trainer and that was not any fun.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Resize them? They look fine to me. The first (largest) fits on my screen almost completely, while the rest pair up nicely side by side. This is with a resolution of 1024x768. Nothing too dramatic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, I decided today was a day for the subway. Looks like it wasn't a bad call....and I ride a beater fixie with 2" tires!

By the way, I saw those workers up on the bridge riding in last week as well. You must have gone JUST before me, since they were trying to get through that gate ahead of them in the picture when I passed. They seemed VERY strange to me. Just two guys, no real uniforms or support crew. I almost made a call about it, but the bridge is still there, so I guess it wasn't anything to worry about.

Anyway, I'm loving my commute in nowadays. I tried it for the first time during the Transit strike -- now THAT was cool. I loved coming back and seeing Marty Markowitz with his bull horn yelling "Everything is OK now, you're back in Brooklyn." I wanted to yell back "hey marty, leave brooklyn? fuggedaboutit!" I was actually quite surprised how the ride safe is. About 80% of my ride in from Park Slope is either via bike lanes or on the bridge. Plus I work downtown so the streets are easy to navigate and don't have a lot of traffic (getting in after 9 helps alot with that also, I suppose). Now I need a front light......but hey, any excuse for more bike gear is oK by me....

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
His pictures always.......

Chris H said:
Resize them? They look fine to me. The first (largest) fits on my screen almost completely, while the rest pair up nicely side by side. This is with a resolution of 1024x768. Nothing too dramatic.
oversize the screen in IE.

What are you viewing them with?

Len

1 - 12 of 12 Posts