Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I climb, I feel my front end is quite "light". I could almost take my hands off the bar...as though I have no weight on the bar when climbing. This results in some difficulty holding a line. I am tempted to take a spacer out and thus lower the stem (I have about 3/4" of spacers). But then, on the flats, I would be 'hunkered down' on the bar...Hmmmmm
 

· Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
How steep are the climbs in your area? I find that once the grade gets really steep (like 15%+), then my bike has the tendency to start popping wheelies due to limited weight on the front. I can easily prevent the "wheelie syndrome" from occurring by just modifying my position on the bike. If you're experiencing problems with weight distribution on a moderate climb, then I'd take a spacer or two out.

How does the rear wheel feel on descents? Does it feel loose? I'd think you'd have some problems with weight distribution on the way down as gravity is pulling your weight towards the front now.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kfurrow said:
How does the rear wheel feel on descents? Does it feel loose? I'd think you'd have some problems with weight distribution on the way down as gravity is pulling your weight towards the front now.
The climbs are not that steep...I just set this frame up...so I am getting used to it. But I do notice that even on the slightest grades, the front lightens up. On decents...it does NOT feel stable. I would NEVER think of riding without hands at this point.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
On just about any climb that slows you down you loose a lot of stability from the drop in speed. On big climbs I tend to leave a little space between me and the next guy because of this.

Another issue is the increased reaction force from putting more pressure into the pedals. I suspect that is why your hands feel light, more to do with you pushing down harder than with the bike. Being a big guy i dont usually have much problem with too little weight anywhere on a road bike, but it is an issue for me on really steep mtb climbs. Two solutions i have found, scooting up to the very nose of my saddle, and thinking more about pushing my pedals across the top of their circle, letting the push down just kind of happen on its own. This means that i am pulling back parallel with the top tube instead of up wich tends to end in uncontrolled wheelie!

Just my thoughts, i would definatly slide around on my saddle and see if it changed anything.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,358 Posts
AlanS said:
The climbs are not that steep...I just set this frame up...so I am getting used to it. But I do notice that even on the slightest grades, the front lightens up. On decents...it does NOT feel stable. I would NEVER think of riding without hands at this point.
Is your seat too far back? Check your knee vs the pedal spindle.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
terzo rene said:
Frame and fork alignment could be off, but it really just sounds like the typical bike made for the US market - high BB, twitchy front end, and steep angles.
Actually the bike was custom built. I feel situated properly. Knee over pedal, seat and hands feel good. 72 degree front, 45 rake, 80 bb height.
Funny, I had the same frame built last year, felt super...this one ( a replacement due to a defect...same #'s) handles poorly....hmmmmm.
 

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,419 Posts
AlanS said:
Actually the bike was custom built. I feel situated properly. Knee over pedal, seat and hands feel good. 72 degree front, 45 rake, 80 bb height.
Funny, I had the same frame built last year, felt super...this one ( a replacement due to a defect...same #'s) handles poorly....hmmmmm.
Yeah, I'd say hmmmmm at the very least. If you have any kind of relationship with your builder, you should go back to him and talk about your problem, maybe even return the frame (after consulting with him first) for alignment/spec checking.

It sounds like there might be a problem with the build, and a decent builder will work with you to make it right.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
my $0.02

AlanS said:
The climbs are not that steep...I just set this frame up...so I am getting used to it. But I do notice that even on the slightest grades, the front lightens up. On decents...it does NOT feel stable. I would NEVER think of riding without hands at this point.
For about 3-4 months I felt the same-I could not ride without hands. I thought it was a new bike, I will get used to it-never happened untill I moved the seat foward and dropped the handlebar lower. I do not feel more crunched over, bacause I rotated around the bottom bracket(read it on Cervelo web site). It is more like a Time Trail position. Bike became very stable and I could ride without hands now with no problem.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ab24029 said:
For about 3-4 months I felt the same-I could not ride without hands. I thought it was a new bike, I will get used to it-never happened untill I moved the seat foward and dropped the handlebar lower. I do not feel more crunched over, bacause I rotated around the bottom bracket(read it on Cervelo web site). It is more like a Time Trail position. Bike became very stable and I could ride without hands now with no problem.
Right now, I am KOPS...knee directly over pedal. Anymore foward I think I would lose out. If anything, I was used to riding slightly behind the BB...(I come from mtbking).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top