Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a Safety Fair on the base this today. My squadron did bicycle safety (who's idea was that?) and I brought out my Specialized Tarmac road bike. I was going to bring my Fuel also, but someone else promised to bring out a mountain bike. So, in the interest of participation I said OK. Well, they did bring out a bike. It was a dept store Magna FS (F'in Springs) bike.

The welds on this thing looked like somebody had mixed up some JB weld and run it along the seam with their finger. It easily weighed over 50 lbs, and the U brakes were too weak to lock up a wheel. This was a not a safe bike to ride. They even mentioned that they were unable to stop while riding down hill on pavement recently. And here we have it on display for "Safety Day".:rolleyes:

So, we have the bikes on display at our booth, and for the most part, folks are commenting on the Tarmac. It's hard not to notice in that OMG red paint. A few folks lift it up and are amazed at how light (It's really not that light at just under 20lbs) it is. The Magna goes unnoticed for about an hour. And then it happens.

Some dude comes up and looks right past the Specialized bling bike, gazes in awe at the Magna and utters the words, "Wow, that's a nice bike!" I did not laugh. I wanted too. It would have been rude and insulting. But lets take a look at the bikes.

I do have to admit, I was pretty envious of the kick-stand.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
magicant said:
Where's the pic of the Magna!!??
Yeah, I feel cheated. I though we were gonna look at one really cool bike, and one crappy one. Where's the cool bike!!!

Kidding!!!

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Your bike reminds me of a throwback to the old 50s cars.

How do you keep the bar tape clean? Does it become a problem when your doing maintenance?

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KendleFox said:
Your bike reminds me of a throwback to the old 50s cars.

How do you keep the bar tape clean? Does it become a problem when your doing maintenance?
I keep my hands and gloves as clean as possible. The bar tape has earned some discoleration over time. When doing maint, I will use a rag between my grimy hand and the bar.

As for the "Magna" pic. I couldn't find an exact picture of the Magna. The Vertical looked like it and is made by Magna according to the recall notice I pilfered the pic off of. I think the only difference is that one was sold at Target and the other at Walmart.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
freezin_is_the_reason said:
I keep my hands and gloves as clean as possible. The bar tape has earned some discoleration over time. When doing maint, I will use a rag between my grimy hand and the bar.

As for the "Magna" pic. I couldn't find an exact picture of the Magna. The Vertical looked like it and is made by Magna according to the recall notice I pilfered the pic off of. I think the only difference is that one was sold at Target and the other at Walmart.
Recall notice! Beautiful...

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
I nearly needed to undergo a Heimlich manoeuvre when I scrolled down to the second pic. That'll teach me to eat sammiches while perusing RBR. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.