Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Some foreign language bike terminology

607 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  murbike 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've scoured the internet to find out about the origin of an expression I heard a few times in French.

The expression is "face de singe" which literally means "monkey face". This term is used when referring to a very steep climb.

Has anyone ever heard of this expression and can you tell me why it is called a "face de singe"? Furthermore is this expression originally from France (Europe) or is it local to North Amrican french speakers (Quebec)?

Thanks / Merci

#3 ·
MG537 said:
Hi,

I've scoured the internet to find out about the origin of an expression I heard a few times in French.

The expression is "face de singe" which literally means "monkey face". This term is used when referring to a very steep climb.

Has anyone ever heard of this expression and can you tell me why it is called a "face de singe"? Furthermore is this expression originally from France (Europe) or is it local to North Amrican french speakers (Quebec)?

Thanks / Merci
Does it refer to the way your face looks on that climb? 'Cause I've gotten monkey face on climbs more than once...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.