Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up Sunday morning to find the lock on my shed had been cut and some ***hats stole my weedeater. That's all they took - apparently the lawnmower wasn't worth the effort. There has been a rash of thefts like this in my neighborhood - they just cut the lock on someone's shed and steal anything of value. One guy lost a generator, miter saw, and a bunch of other stuff. I filed a police report - I know it won't do much good for me but maybe it will help build a case. The police are stepping up patrols in the area so maybe that will help too.

The irony is that my weedeater was a total mutant that I'd kept repairing from various other weedeaters that other people had thrown out. It had a Toro engine, Ryobi trimmer, and various other parts. Hell, the on/off switch was dangling by a wire and would shock the crap out of you if you weren't careful.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
maybe they will die by electrocution.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
tomk96 said:
Could the thieves sue for reckless endangerment? I'd suggest agetting a good lawyer.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
we've had the same issues...my dad's chainsaw disappeared for a weekend, we've had hammers turn up missing, but the one that takes the cake is the studfinder. the studfinder disappeared one day, so we bought a new one...years go by, i mean 4 or 5 years, and the one one mysteriously showed up RIGHT next to the old one hanging up in the shed.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
it was an alien.

i remember reading an old weekly world news report about a landscaper who claimed an alien shipp stopped his truck, and alien tore through the back of his pick up until he found a weedwacker and, "was on that thing like white on rice." that article was printer probably around 1989 and i remember that quote to this day.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
You get to buy a new weedeater? Man, you're lucky.

Always exciting to shop for a new power tool.
What I hate is when I buy a new one because the old one is lost or stolen, and then two days later I find the old one. It happens way more often than it should--I have three soldering guns, half a dozen paint rollers and at least 10 of those cheap caulking guns, because I look for the old ones for five minutes, then go get a new one.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
tomk96 said:

Ha ha ha! :D I was thinking the same.

More than likely they will die by meth or crack or some such. Thefts as you've described are often from those jonesing for a fix.

What a shame.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That's why I don't lock my tool shed. The lock is the thiefs first indication that something important is inside. Didn't you know that?
Weed eaters suck anyways,
Let the weeds grow and get to riding my young friend !!!

Just keep your bike in the house.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andrea138 said:
You know you hated using it & needed a new one anyway...
I had a certain soft spot for it in my heart, sort of like people have for their mangy three legged ugly retarded dogs. Yes, it was a mutant weedeater that would occasionally send a few thousand volts through your fingers, but by god, it was my dangerous frankenstein weedeater that I had cobbled together from the remains of bygone weedeaters.

Oh well, time to cruise craigslist and people's throw aways for more parts.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hooben said:
That's why I don't lock my tool shed. The lock is the thiefs first indication that something important is inside. Didn't you know that?
Weed eaters suck anyways,
Let the weeds grow and get to riding my young friend !!!

Just keep your bike in the house.
Yep, bikes are in the garage or in the house on the trainer or rollers.

I'd save myself a ton of time, money, and effort if I could give up yard work - I've spent the past couple weeks pulling weeds, planting flowers, prepping the garden, and various other things. But, I can't let the lawn go in the same way my wife can't let the house go. It's not the greatest yard out there, but I'd be embarrassed if I didn't maintain it.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Cory said:
Always exciting to shop for a new power tool.
What I hate is when I buy a new one because the old one is lost or stolen, and then two days later I find the old one. It happens way more often than it should--I have three soldering guns, half a dozen paint rollers and at least 10 of those cheap caulking guns, because I look for the old ones for five minutes, then go get a new one.
Cory, don't tell my wife. That's how I upgrade stuff around the house. It worked when I lost the P&S camera and ended up with a nice DSLR. :thumbsup:

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
Yep, bikes are in the garage or in the house on the trainer or rollers.

I'd save myself a ton of time, money, and effort if I could give up yard work - I've spent the past couple weeks pulling weeds, planting flowers, prepping the garden, and various other things. But, I can't let the lawn go in the same way my wife can't let the house go. It's not the greatest yard out there, but I'd be embarrassed if I didn't maintain it.
Yard service ! I haven't had a blower :blush2: or a lawnmower in about 15 years. $20 a week in the summer and the service mows, trims and edges every week rain or shine. It's nice pulling up to the house after a ride and seeing the lawn was mowed while I was gone.:D

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Get a herd of goats. They'll eat your weeds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts