Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In no particular order:

1) Pennsylvania is now one of my favorite places through which to drive. Seriously. That state is beautiful. The scenery driving along I-80 and I-70 reminded me of that backpacking along the AT in Virginia.

3) Ohio is boring.

b) Any way you look at it, New York kicks ass. [Chasea: thanks for the tips, btw. Though we didn't use any of them, at least I wasn't in the dark as to what to do]. If you're looking for an awesome place to have a beer, try the House of Brews on 46th between 8th and 9th Ave. Great international selection of beers. Cool bartender. Bonus: I got to sniff a bottle of that really expensive Sam Adams ****. It smelled like a combination of maple- and cough syrups.

ii) Look beyond the strip malls and the traffic and realize that Long Island is better than you'd think. The international flavor in Wantagh outdoes Indianapolis by a mile.

17) Letterman is funnier in person. I hear the camera takes off roughly 10 lbs of comedic genius.

6) Despite the douchebag demeanor, Paul Schafer runs a tight ship. His band rocks.

ix) The pizza and pasta I had at an outlet mall (yeah, losers, an outlet mall) topped any Italian food I've had in Indianapolis save for Mama Carolla's. Fellow **** FTW!

2) Ohio is still boring.

1) I didn't steal Gut's money.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i second ohio.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pennsylvania (driving on the northern side on 80 through the mountains) in fall is amazing...

The southern route on the turnpike while faster (for me)... sucks.

OHIO is borring... and I love NYC. :)

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Antonio_B said:
6) Despite the douchebag demeanor, Paul Schafer runs a tight ship. His band rocks.
The band toured a long time ago and was tight as ****. Not kode. Flippin' awesome.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
NYC = meh....

othewise, I'm with you.

len

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
NYC in the Times Square area is impressive to tourists :p

Although we're partial to O'Lunney's Irish Pub, Emmet's, and St. Andrew's for the real deal in drinks, by owners who take the pub business seriously.

Agreed about comics, except I'm more of a Colbert fan now.

Why is decent Italian food so difficult to find elsewhere?! It's easy!!

Long Island has a tremendous amount going for it, if you can get away from the maddening crowds. Museums, beaches and parks are terrific.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i'm jonesing for a bike trip in Central PA this fall badly. give me back my moniez!

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Creakyknees said:
pix, moreon.
Friend me on FB and I'll post the candid ones just for you.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
gutfiddle said:
i'm jonesing for a bike trip in Central PA this fall badly. give me back my moniez!
You ain't allowed north of Georgia. Period. We might make an exception if you bring some BBQ with you.

- The Management

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
gutfiddle said:
We know where to ride, how you plan to get up here?

We aren't heading south till the end of October.

BTW please don't fall badly.....

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
gutfiddle said:
....between Pittsburgh and Philly there's a bunch of hillbilly's....
I've actually seen a lot more "Stars-n-Bars" flying high in the keystone state than I have in the state of sunshine......

·
Done
4,509 Posts
gutfiddle said:
I have kinfolk around Punxy whish is beautiful riding country...between Pittsburgh and Philly there's a bunch of hillbilly's

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=102131&highlight=AMISH
That is gorgeous country. Nice riding.

I'm having visions of a Gutfiddle/MB1 caravan up from Florida.... a line of vehicles barrelling up Rt 95, music blaring, all loaded to the gills with dogs, kayaks, chillun, and bicycles.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
bike trip in Central PA

One guy in our group of local MTBers gave us a splendid tour one year, right before his GF moved out of her Penn State apt. We crashed on the floor, and just rode for a couple of days. It was challenging, scenic and loads of fun. Luckily we kept running into locals who helped us when we were lost, and they weren't the hillbilly type.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Christine said:
NYC in the Times Square area is impressive to tourists :p

Although we're partial to O'Lunney's Irish Pub, Emmet's, and St. Andrew's for the real deal in drinks, by owners who take the pub business seriously.

Agreed about comics, except I'm more of a Colbert fan now.

Why is decent Italian food so difficult to find elsewhere?! It's easy!!

Long Island has a tremendous amount going for it, if you can get away from the maddening crowds. Museums, beaches and parks are terrific.
iiii) Times Square was not what I was referring to but it's scale was impressive.

View attachment 210938

On our walk up from Penn Station, we purposely took smaller streets. Of course, we had to stop to take a self-portrait:
View attachment 210937

5) Our bartender was from Billings, Montana and really knew his IPAs....FTW!

5) The "fluffer" who came out before Letterman was hilarious.

View attachment 210939

5) Don't inquire about Italian food. We have a place here in Indy called Iaria's which is apparently known for their quality food. I left with an upset stomach and in a very, very bad mood.

4) I got the bagel of a lifetime at a little place in Seaford. I almost cried. No. Not really.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.