Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The Holidays are a challenge. A couple things I do to keep it under control is step on the scale every morning. If you need to make a correction then that scale will let you know. Drinking water in abundance is good.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Over-eating once or twice a year is not that detrimental. It's when you get a plate of dessert, the same size as plate you had your meal on, after every meal....that's when it's detrimental.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I put on about 10k miles per year. A few days of overeating, drinking a bit too much and missing a couple of workouts over Christmas? Absolutely!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Having a healthy relationship with eating and food is really important, I mean, we have to eat and it's such a crucial part of our social consciousness. Rituals/traditions/holidays, whatever we call them, are a time to come together, to celebrate something, and a feast is the central theme for human celebration for thousands and thousands of years. Prudence has the helm on almost every other day. Why be judicious at a feast? You could eat a grotesque volume of calories at a ritual feast and have no weight penalty at all if you allow prudence to reign over most of your feeding behavior.

So enjoy! Happy holidays!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
According to my Garmin summary, I've burned over 160,000 calories on the bike this year. On vacations/holidays, I eat what, when and how much I want... and feel ZERO anxiety, remorse, guilt... just full. ;-)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Over-eating once or twice a year is not that detrimental. It's when you get a plate of dessert, the same size as plate you had your meal on, after every meal....that's when it's detrimental.
People on diet can over eat one day a week to trick their body to think that it's not going through starvation phase. Feeling hungry all week long sucks!

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
People on diet can over eat one day a week to trick their body to think that it's not going through starvation phase. Feeling hungry all week long sucks!
I had to fast a day preceding a medical procedure, midnight through the day into the morning for the procedure. I didn't eat till about 10am, so it was about a 34 hour fast, and it was surprisingly easy. I don't know how easy it would have been to do it on my own, with nothing scheduled.

I used to work with a Dude that was a boxer in his youth, and he ate a healthy diet and fasted one day a week, and was probably the fittest guy I worked with until he retired at 60 or 62 yrs old. I don't know how much his fasting contributed, but he swore by it.

I would like to try it, but as a diabetic I would have to play with my blood glucose levels in a way that I'd be concerned with.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I had to fast a day preceding a medical procedure, midnight through the day into the morning for the procedure. I didn't eat till about 10am, so it was about a 34 hour fast, and it was surprisingly easy. I don't know how easy it would have been to do it on my own, with nothing scheduled.

I used to work with a Dude that was a boxer in his youth, and he ate a healthy diet and fasted one day a week, and was probably the fittest guy I worked with until he retired at 60 or 62 yrs old. I don't know how much his fasting contributed, but he swore by it.

I would like to try it, but as a diabetic I would have to play with my blood glucose levels in a way that I'd be concerned with.
Whoa!!! There are zero health advantages associated with fasting. And, for you, as a diabetic, you are just making a bad thing worse.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Whoa!!! There are zero health advantages associated with fasting. And, for you, as a diabetic, you are just making a bad thing worse.
Take a breath, :), I'd like to try, didn't say I'm going to.

As a diabetic I'd have to make too many concessions to my BG management that I'm not willing to make.

And as far as being a bad thing, diabetes is just a thing, worse than some but better than others. It tends to be a bad thing in people who don't really face it, and do nothing to manage it.

I have Good Friends that are dealing with worse, and they give me strength.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts

As a diabetic I'd have to make too many concessions to my BG management that I'm not willing to make.

And as far as being a bad thing, diabetes is just a thing, worse than some but better than others. It tends to be a bad thing in people who don't really face it, and do nothing to manage it.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,969 Posts

BTW, was referring to fasting being a bad thing, not that I'm singing the praises of diabetes...

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I had to fast, midnight through the day into the morning...till about 10am, so it was about a 34 hour fast.
That would be about a 10 hour fast, where do you add in 24hours. I guess you meant through the next full day. I find that once you stop eating after a while, it really isn't that bad, u get used to it.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
That would be about a 10 hour fast, where do you add in 24hours. I guess you meant through the next full day. I find that once you stop eating after a while, it really isn't that bad, u get used to it.
Yeah, midnight through the entire day(next) and into the morning of the day after that. It was easier than I expected, once I got to the late morning, early afternoon, I quit thinking about it. It did throw my BM off for a couple of days though.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Having End Stage Renal Disease, I have to constantly watch my potassium and phosphorus intake, as well as take my binders with every meal (along with BP meds morning and evening, vit D, synthroid, fish oil and fiber supplements). I have to constantly say no to chocolates, potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, etc., etc. For myself, 'holiday eating' means taking very small servings of 'bad foods', and filling up with 'safe foods', like green beans, uncured meat, rice, etc.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Having End Stage Renal Disease, I have to constantly watch my potassium and phosphorus intake, as well as take my binders with every meal (along with BP meds morning and evening, vit D, synthroid, fish oil and fiber supplements). I have to constantly say no to chocolates, potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, etc., etc. For myself, 'holiday eating' means taking very small servings of 'bad foods', and filling up with 'safe foods', like green beans, uncured meat, rice, etc.
A funny thing that I found while monitoring my diet are the few people that have been insulted because "their food wasn't good enough for me". It's the same reaction that I got from my drinking buddies when I quit drinking because I "wouldn't drink with them" anymore.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts