Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
There was a time not that long ago when "made in Japan" meant complete crap... and it was unthinkable to buy a Japanese car if you were American. I see nothing wrong with "Made in Taiwan." Isn't the design more important anyway-- in this age of globalism. I would much rather ride an Italian designed frame made in Taiwan than a Taiwanese designed frame made in Italy.

Made in Italy really doesn't mean much unless you are buying shoes or bike components... or wine.

merckxman said:
In print ads here in in Italy, and on the Colnago website, the models being built in Taiwan vs. Italy are clearly being identified.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
filtersweep said:
There was a time not that long ago when "made in Japan" meant complete crap... and it was unthinkable to buy a Japanese car if you were American. I see nothing wrong with "Made in Taiwan." Isn't the design more important anyway-- in this age of globalism. I would much rather ride an Italian designed frame made in Taiwan than a Taiwanese designed frame made in Italy.

Made in Italy really doesn't mean much unless you are buying shoes or bike components... or wine.
Yup...but at least they're being honest about it. Some folks buying Colnago may expect the famous Colnago/Ferrari carbon and should know that's what they are/are not getting. Does it make a difference? I have no clue but being straight up about it is good to see.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Agree with you. Even if the frame is of equal quality, it is nice to know that people can easily find out where the frame is made. As we can see on the postings here, sometime it really means a lot to people while at other times people just don't care. I would actually have some honesty, even if people consider it unnecessary, than no information at all. This especially goes for bikes that are known for being made in a particular area of the world and that is why people may be buying them.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
but it's gonna kill their 'made in Italy'

excuse for their pricing. why pay more for a Taiwanese made bike than you have to?
On an opposing note I know some guys at the new Masi, who gets bikes built in both Italy and Asia. They said they get better and more consistent results from Asia.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
So which ones are made in Asia?
I just went through the catalogue and the only references to Taiwan I could find were the Arte road bike and the MTBs. They were in a separate catalogue link. The big catalogue didn't have any point of origin references that I could find.

·
Banned
476 Posts
is there a difference?

Asia -- some people say that instead of the exact country

I think it is more clear if the exact country is discussed vs 'Asia'
it is a big place and Japan, Taiwan, and China are all very different

as far as the frames go, in a way I hate to say it - but frames from Taiwan are probably at least as good as Italy - if not better

·
Registered
432 Posts
Most of us should get our heads out of our anterior posterior place. The facts are that factories in the Pacific rim are all state-of-the-art and have more modern production machinery than most USA plants. Since the global market is so big it makes sense to gear up to make tens of thousands of widgets. The Asian factories can make their products cheaper because they have lower labor rates than the US and Europe. So, greater productivity with lower overhead translates to cheaper high-quality product. The world is constantly changing. You know you are in the modern world if you visit cities in Taiwan, China, Korea and Japan. You see a sophisticated modern work force as well.

I'm not a fan or promoter of imports. Look at evidence, though. Japanese and other Asian cars built market share up in the US to the point that the big three here are in deep trouble. The Asian cars have a reputation as being higher-quality as well. Whyt wouldn't bike frames have the same quality factors considering there is a lot less technology necessary to build a bike frame compared to all the engineered parts in an automobile.

·
I coulda did that myself
216 Posts
I'm no different than (probably) most riders, in that I really like the old-world charm of a bike frame that says, "Made in Italy". Aside from that, I agree that Pacific rim manufacture is capable of matching and even surpassing anyone in terms of quality.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
the only reason I used Asia

is I don't remember where the factory is (I think Taiwan) but I didn't put it directly becuase I am not 100%, it may be in mainland China as well.According to the guys I know, they felt the bikes made there were (as others have stated) superior to what was being produced elsewhere. That these factories were the most Hi-Tech, cleanest etc...
yes cheaper due to labor costs and good trade with the USA. You could boycott them on labor / environmental issues if you want. sorry digression. What I'm trying to say is if I'm buying a Hi-Tech CF frame and I'm choosing a Giant or a Colnago and the Nag is thousands more and being built in Asia, all you are getting for those extra grand or 2 are the name and the geometry, which to me isn't worth the $$$$$$.

·
Banned
476 Posts
says alot

atpjunkie said:
is I don't remember where the factory is (I think Taiwan) but I didn't put it directly becuase I am not 100%, it may be in mainland China as well.According to the guys I know, they felt the bikes made there were (as others have stated) superior to what was being produced elsewhere. That these factories were the most Hi-Tech, cleanest etc...
yes cheaper due to labor costs and good trade with the USA. You could boycott them on labor / environmental issues if you want. sorry digression. What I'm trying to say is if I'm buying a Hi-Tech CF frame and I'm choosing a Giant or a Colnago and the Nag is thousands more and being built in Asia, all you are getting for those extra grand or 2 are the name and the geometry, which to me isn't worth the $$$$$$.
now that says a lot
more and more the specs of your bike matter way more than the name on the downtube
especially since the name on the DT no longer makes it
and someother name [topkey, advanced, adk, martec[] makes your frame

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
collectorvelo said:
more and more the specs of your bike matter way more than the name on the downtube
especially since the name on the DT no longer makes it
and someother name [topkey, advanced, adk, martec[] makes your frame

To paraphrase an old bass teacher of mine (who had just taken delivery of a one-of-a-kind, custom-built instrument), "for the amount of money I just spent it should have *my* name on the downtube!"

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
it's wacky

as back in the day the 'name' meant they had the most experienced, talented lug and braze guys around. Check a late 70's Masi especially if Mario Confente built it. So at that level there was value (the same you still pay for in Boutique frames) but if frames are being mass produced you lose that caveat. First it was Tig, now it's CF, what is funniest is the Lug technology which the industry hyped as 'outdated' and replaced with the 'works' look (big welds unfinished - again making lemonade) has suddenly been resurrected as a 'plus' for CF rides. When in fact lugged CF is a cost saving method providing greater ability for more sizes with less molds. I'm not a retrogrouch,but I do work in advertising and I'm pretty good at spotting 'marketing hype' to cover or explain 'cost savings'

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
perception matters a lot

atpjunkie said:
excuse for their pricing. why pay more for a Taiwanese made bike than you have to?
On an opposing note I know some guys at the new Masi, who gets bikes built in both Italy and Asia. They said they get better and more consistent results from Asia.
I am willing to bet that if you put a Taiwan made Colnago and an Italian one on the showroom at the same price, customers are going to buy the Italian one every time. You can argue about quality of the two countries but I think I am very safe on this bet.

·
Life In the big ring
244 Posts
DaveG said:
I am willing to bet that if you put a Taiwan made Colnago and an Italian one on the showroom at the same price, customers are going to buy the Italian one every time. You can argue about quality of the two countries but I think I am very safe on this bet.
I should hope so since paying $4k for an Arte frame instead of a C50 would be just plain silly!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.