Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez I ran into a dimwitted roadie yesterday on my drive around town. The weather in Southern Ontario has definitely been spring like and that has brought the bikes out big time. I was driving along a major road in town which has a slight climb. I noticed a roadie in the right hand lane going up the hill. He was in a full team kit, so I thought this guy looks like he knows what he was doing. Actually, first thing I thought was, what a moron he only had shorts on and it was hovering around 10C (50F)....I like my knees more then that...At any rate I make it by the guy without incident and round a bend in the road and come up to a red a light. I pull up and stop and so does a few cars behind me and a few beside me. I look into my side view mirror and who do I see sneaking through the two rows of cars, but the roadie. He's got a pretty good head of steam and looks like he's going to blow the red light. He slows a bit and gets lucky that the light turns green. He then cuts in front of me to get back onto the right hand side of the road. Of course he backs me up because I can't pass because there isn't enough room....which is ok...I hate being brushed by cars...Well when I pass him I also notice he's got a earbuds in....

So this baffoon is weaving in an out of traffic and wearing an MP3 player of some kind...Then I wonder why car drivers hate people on road bikes....Geez I even felt like cutting him off...

I think some people have to realize that we, as cyclist's, have to abide by the rules if we want to be treated with respect while on the road...

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Actually, first thing I thought was, what a moron he only had shorts on and it was hovering around 10C (50F)....I like my knees more then that...
Man, that guy has a lot af nerve riding around not wearing what you would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know....He was in a full team kit...What a maroon....I'd never be caught dead in that!!!

Nice to see you missed the whole point of the post...

BTW....These are the exact type of first responses I expected...
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
rbart4506 said:
I know....He was in a full team kit...What a maroon....I'd never be caught dead in that!!!

Nice to see you missed the whole point of the post...

BTW....These are the exact type of first responses I expected...
What you observed was his problem. When you reacted, it became your problem. - TF
 

·
100% torqued
Joined
·
766 Posts
I think I wear shorts when its 50 out. But then I have spent a few years working outside all day in all kinds of weather. It is amazing how warm 50 can feel after a week or two of 10-15 degrees or a day of freezing rain. I'm fine with being a moron in your eyes. I think the head set he was wearing is kind of stupid, and his making you pass again was a bit rude but people do dumb things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hitting the guy comment was tongue in cheek....Get it...As in I can understand how drivers get frustrated with us...And how some people don't do the cycling community any good...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Oh no!

rbart4506 said:
The hitting the guy comment was tongue in cheek....Get it...As in I can understand how drivers get frustrated with us...And how some people don't do the cycling community any good...
Someone in a full team kit wearing a walkman type device... The tragedy!

Most people I know who ride a lot take their iPod along for the ride. Most people I know who ride with their iPods ride in a full team kit. What was your point again? Other than you got frustrated getting caught behind someone riding a bike whilst you were in a car. That doesn't make you probably any different than the other monkeys out there driving cars on a daily basis. As someone else said, what he was doing was his problem, when you got angry about something, it became your problem. I've been caught behind people riding bikes a lot when driving, and hey, you know what? I don't care. Why? Because some days I'm that guy riding the bike. I wait until it's safe to pass, pass by and give a friendly beep beep and a wave, because they're my brothers in biking. Drink less caffeine, you'll be less tense methinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Respect

Respect Magnolia, my sentiments exactly. Life's too short to get pissed at other people doing other stuff. Perhaps if we all adhered to that philosophy we'd be more tolerant of one another and get on a bit better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
last week i held up like 4 cars in my car to let a string of bikers go buy. what's the worst any driver is gonna do, get out and beat me up ? [course that's my answer to anything... "what's the worst theyr're gonna do to me]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I understood your point. I just think it is funny that you think that you are somehow smarter because you would wear knee warmers or tights at that temperature. You used the fact that he was only wearing shorts in cooler weather to reinforce your belief that he his obviously not very smart and his choice of clothing is related to his reckless riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
True..

bignose said:
last week i held up like 4 cars in my car to let a string of bikers go buy. what's the worst any driver is gonna do, get out and beat me up ? [course that's my answer to anything... "what's the worst theyr're gonna do to me]
Maybe shoot you? I mean, you do never know what folks are carrying in their cars with them while they're driving around. I had a friend of mine last year who got shot in the hand with a blow dart last year while he was riding. No kidding. It was weird, and at the same time dangerous. It went completely through his hand, and luckily, no serious damage. I almost always adhere to the "don't flip anyone off" mantra of riding my bike. Especially when alone. Never know what might happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Repassing cars at a stop light is just dumb, It's the bike equivalent of passing someone in your car then about 5 seconds later stopping to turn so the guy you just passed has to stop too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny how when my nose gets out of joint I need to relax....Me thinks you need to follow the same advice....
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
Let's focus on the problem. The problem was not what he was wearing. The problem was not the earbuds (dumb or not, it's not illegal). The problem was the cyclist riding between the rows of cars and then cutting back in. That's illegal in virtually any jurisdiction I'm familiar with. I'm not going to defend illegal activity. It's wrong no matter how you cut it. Wait your turn, just like the cars. If you do everybody ends up safe and sane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,135 Posts
Yes and No

BikeGeek said:
Repassing cars at a stop light is just dumb, It's the bike equivalent of passing someone in your car then about 5 seconds later stopping to turn so the guy you just passed has to stop too.
sitting at the back of a long line of traffic means that I will hold more cars up since I might not make the light and in turn they might try and squeeze past me (aginst on coming traffic) and even possible turn right in front of me - how ever if I go to the front of the line more cars can make it through the light and re-pass me when its safe. People will do all sorts of crazy stuff to make it through a red light. That said its its one or two cars I just stay behind them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
rbart4506 said:
Geez I ran into a dimwitted roadie yesterday on my drive around town. The weather in Southern Ontario has definitely been spring like and that has brought the bikes out big time. I was driving along a major road in town which has a slight climb. I noticed a roadie in the right hand lane going up the hill. He was in a full team kit, so I thought this guy looks like he knows what he was doing. Actually, first thing I thought was, what a moron he only had shorts on and it was hovering around 10C (50F)....I like my knees more then that...At any rate I make it by the guy without incident and round a bend in the road and come up to a red a light. I pull up and stop and so does a few cars behind me and a few beside me. I look into my side view mirror and who do I see sneaking through the two rows of cars, but the roadie. He's got a pretty good head of steam and looks like he's going to blow the red light. He slows a bit and gets lucky that the light turns green. He then cuts in front of me to get back onto the right hand side of the road. Of course he backs me up because I can't pass because there isn't enough room....which is ok...I hate being brushed by cars...Well when I pass him I also notice he's got a earbuds in....

So this baffoon is weaving in an out of traffic and wearing an MP3 player of some kind...Then I wonder why car drivers hate people on road bikes....Geez I even felt like cutting him off...

I think some people have to realize that we, as cyclist's, have to abide by the rules if we want to be treated with respect while on the road...

Rich
I don't understand the other replies. I guess you have to put on some armor when you post a comment about IPod wearers, they get really defensive about their stupid behavior. Headphone wearers don't like hearing stories about other stupid earphone wearers. Guilt by association.
You saw a dude riding stupidly in traffic, wearing earphones. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to see a relationship. Earphones are dangerous to use if you have the music loud enough so you can't hear what's around you. Weaving inbetween two lines of car and cutting drivers off is kind of a clue that Kid Rock had his tunes cranked. They're part of the new generation that can't make it though any activity without private music filling up the empty spaces in their heads. You'd think a bike ride would be relaxing on it's own without relying on a personal DJ to make it tolerable.
I suspect a good number of these retards saw Lance and George warming up on trainers with their IPods during last year's Tour, Now they want to look just like them. You'll see these same riders with their helmets strapped to the front of their handlebars.
As far as your reaction, I didn't see any harsh reaction. You simply observed what you saw, didn't yell, swear or confront the cyclist. When the cyclist cut you off, it became your problem.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top