Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually not really an opinion, but more some general observations from a guy who's just got lottsa time, wheels, and a 'rest day' today.
Yesterday I took my Corima 4 spoke rear and aero carbon front up and down about 3500' of one of the Mt. Hood Classic (coming up soon near Hood River, Oregon, check it out online) stages.(Lost Lake road) This is a hill I ride quite often, but normally on either Zipp 303s or Lew/Reynolds (about 50mm-some tall rim section?) I'm sorting/testing wheels and bikes for an upcoming HC/TT, the Larch Mt. TT(also here in the northwest) I just rode that course recently at about 3000'+ climbing, but with a more gentle gradient of 5 miles leading out, then pitching up to (?) about 6-8% for 12 miles(+/-). So, I wanted to try the best aero wheels I own, which are those Corimas, just to see if I could climb with them in the Larch Mt. event... Yes, they do climb ok. As you might expect, the added Aero material must be a bit slower, but I think (wishful thinking?) perhaps the 4-spoke rear might be just a bit more efficient at power to the ground... The big surprise, however, was on the descent! Wow! are they fast! Now, I ride that same climb a lot,(maybe 25+ times a season) so I know it very well indeed. I know where my braking points are, when to sit up, when to tuck because I'll be 'spun out' etc etc. But on the 4 spokes and the tall front rim..I was friggin' COOKIN! Much more of a speed difference than I would have thought..A few times, I came quite close to....nevermind. The Lost Lake descent is through the timber mostly, so the aero section was not being tossed around much by wind. I am guessing I lost some time on the climb. But, Geeze, what a thrilling descent. And I will be using the aeros on that Larch Mt. TT/HC.
I also interchange a set of Lews and the 303s, with the Lews (mid-V) being as light as the Zipps, but a bit more dicey on windy days and the American Classic hubs being kinda odd to deal with, day to day... I like the Reynolds rims much better than the Zipps, which scare me because of other's experiences breaking em. But the 303 is a good all around wheel for most all conditions..In my opinion. I got mine cheap on ebay, so I don't really mind using them everyday. I kinda baby the Reynolds, keeping them for races, mostly. And those hubs! Ugg..but when you have em adjusted right, they work fine.
I also have a set of clincher dedicated mountain wheels, Nimble spiders, which I happen to like and they've treated me well. Descending some very steep climbs like Mt. Palomar in So. Cal, I have actually burned my leg with the rims getting so hot with all the switchbacks and traffic to brake for, so clinchers make sense on 'open' mountain roads for training rides. Next, a rear disc..
What say you all about that?
Don Hanson aka Gnarly 928

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ouch!

Just found the stats on the Larch Mountain hillclimb/time trial that I mentioned in my previous looong..post. It's on the OBRA (Oregon Bike Racing Association) calender website as one of the events in the Oregon Uphill Challenge or OUCH! 3800' elevation gain in 16.xx miles is that particular course. should be "fun" Kinda a toss-up as to what kinda equipment to bring. A prior multiple time winner says he's won it on his TT bike and also with his RR bike..but he would probably win it on a recumbent he is so strong!
Don Hanson

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.