Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took over a spare bedroom not currently being used. I dusted off my late 80's JVC Class A receiver, my old Yamaha DD turntable and a set of 70's Jenson 2 way bookshelf speakers. Ok, I did use a modern Sony 8" sub for a little bottom end...

Placed Alan Parson I Robot on the platter and was instantly transported back to my teen years.

Wow...Next up was Yes, Wings, Beatles, ELO...

Don't get me wrong. I embrace the new media of music. Having teenagers in the house helps keep me in the loop. But having been exposed almost entirely to mp3 and other compressed formats for the last few years...I am reminded this is just not the same experience.

None of this old stuff is special, most could be found at yard sales or craigslist for little $$'s.

The dynamic range, the high's and the low's, even to my old ears. It just sounds better.

Now I'm never going to give up the convenience of having 3 months worth of non-stop music on my single device, but once in a while I'm going to kick back and listen to some old technology and engineering.

My advice, go out and find you an old system and enjoy.

Reactions: nsfbr

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
Take a look in the closet of that spare bedroom and see if there's a Protogs jersey and some Kucharik shorts hanging in there.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man, I do have a Protog, Team Panasonic... I gotta get rid of some stuff....

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
racerx -- enjoy your stuff! Try and get your mp3's etc playing through the old gear, too. With luck, it could be just a matter of finding an appropriate patch cord at the local electronics emporium. Who knows? You might love it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wow, did you just send me on a trip down memory lane. My 15th birthday is where I learned about Alan Parsons and I Robot while indulging in several substances I shouldn't have been. As for the other groups mentioned all were major parts of my youth, and still enjoyed to this day. And you are correct, that sound of a needle on a record is very distinctive.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My old stereo (all 20 components, a lot of Denon, dbx, ADC) is one of the things I always kept and listened to. I was widely excited to embrace mp3s back in 1998. They sound great when using headphones but I always defaulted back to listening to my old stereo when listening through my speakers. I gave my brother my old turntable back in '96 which I kind of regret.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
" Try and get your mp3's etc playing through the old gear, too."

No way, this set up is sacred ground...analog only.

I have the 7 channel set up in the family room for the digital stuff.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I blew so much $$$ on dbx, even had the adapter in my car but it cleaned up the hiss out of my dbx encoded cassettes... ahh memories

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
John's got some old-ass stereo equipment that takes up loads of space (sticks out of the shelf upstairs) and makes me question the point- no turntables or records around. The stereo in the basement doesn't even pick up a radio signal; not sure what's so special about the one upstairs.

My vinyl collection got washed away by Hurricane Sandy. The 45s were mine, and most of the classic albums were inherited from my uncle. :cryin:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
But having been exposed almost entirely to mp3 and other compressed formats for the last few years...I am reminded this is just not the same experience.
At risk of stating something that might not be newsworthy, you can listen to lossless and even higher-than-CD resolution and dynamic range with non-compressed digital music file formats.

One of the problems currently with pop music is the so-called "loudness war". There isn't much you can do about that, if a producer decides to crush the dynamic range. But for well-produced audio, high-res digital formats are well worth the trouble and playback software and equipment. (Even the humble iTunes can be coaxed into doing this.)

" Try and get your mp3's etc playing through the old gear, too."

No way, this set up is sacred ground...analog only.

Get a reasonable quality DAC (a few $100 can get a quite nice one) comparable to the quality of the rest of your system, and plug it into any unused analogue input. Get some lossless files and play to it from your computer. You might be surprised how much better it sounds than mp3 DSP-ed to hell in a 7.1 system.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
you really need some tubes to feel the warmth
I just moved my tube buffer out of my main system and put it in my bedroom. Now I just go straight from DAC to amp, with no euphonic warm harmonic distortion, and an absolutely silent noise floor.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I never stopped playing my records in all these years. I have the usual modern stuff also but I prefer vinyl. It's an interactive form of listening. I have a modest system but I did buy a new turntable about a year ago. Music Hall makes a pretty good turntable for $500.00 and up.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
My Stereo

You guys have shamed me into showing pictures of my stereo. Primaluna 35 watt tube amp. Vintage SOTA turntable with Alphason arm and Lyra Delos Cartridge. Moon phono step-up. Sony 5400ES CD/SACD player. NOLA Boxer speakers. Paradigm subwoofer. Dedicated stereo room. No room treatments. None needed.

Audio equipment Electronic device Loudspeaker Floor Technology Metal Grey Circle Composite material Iron Wood Room Shelf Shelving Hardwood Publication Shelving Shelf Collection Purple Wood Room Floor Hardwood Flooring

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I went and did a used speaker deal with a real audiophile a few weeks ago. Exchanging cash for a box of Peachtree D5 Rosewood speakers to go with my (tubed) Nova in my bedroom felt a bit like doing a drug deal, but the speakers are in perfect, pristine condition. He showed off some of his other stuff, including a turntable that probably cost more than some houses in Iowa. As soon as I walked into the room, he showed me his ultra-efficent speakers and tube amps. There was a low-level hisssssssssssssssssss before he put on the music. Snap. Crackle. Pop. Click. Wow. Flutter.

I admire people who will put up with the cleaning ritual, the zerostat, degrading the album each time it is played, etc. But I couldn't do it. As impressed as I am with the walls of vinyl in a large collection (like my sister has), I love having everything on a 1 TB SSD external drive, played directly from the computer into the DAC and my cool, silent, energy-efficient Class D amps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.