Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Specialized Tarmac SL4 with Di2. Installing the cables/wires is a giant hassle. Here's what I found was helpful:

For the RD and FD cables, you need to get around the BB shell. Even if you can get the cable around there, it's hard to pull it back out of the hole at the bottom of the frame. You can probably use forecepts or a dentist's hook, but I didn't have them. I used a piece of thick string and a lot of shaking the frame. When the end came out, I tied the other end to the cable and pulled it through.

For the down tube, I used a derailleur cable inner wire. Then I used some duct tape to attach the wires, and pulled it through.

The seat tube cable is easy. Just start at the bottom, and thread it out through the seat tube hole.

I hope others find this helpful, and save some time. I know some people find compressed air or a vacuum useful, but that didn't work for me.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I thread a steel derailleur cable through and use a magnetic tip screwdriver to pull it out.
Attach Di2 wire to other end and pull out, works fine.
Once installed, you never have to deal with them again.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Piece of thread and a vacuum and the thread will come right through, then tape the thread to the Di2 cable and pull it through.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used the very same plastic guide tubing that I previously used when changing the cables. However, the vacuum and thread would be worlds easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts