Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple questions about the Trek Madone:
1. Are there big differences in the frames between 2008 and 2009?
2. The lower end Madones, the 4.5 and 4.7 TCT carbon Made in Taiwan models---Are these the ones that are supposedly made in Giant's factory? These two are in my price range and I'd like to know if these frames are any good.
3. If trying to compare a 2008 5.2 Pro (OCLV Black Carbon,Ultegra SL, USA made) at $2800 and a 2009 4.7 (TCT Taiwan carbon, Ultegra) at $2500, what would be the better choice? It seems if geometry hasn't changed between 08 and 09 as far as the frames go, then the OCLV carbon frame of the 08 5.2 Pro would be a better choice. Am I right?

All info appreciated! I'm sure I will be posting more comparisons here and asking for advice as I narrow down my choices.


Thanks!


Nate
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
N8shon said:
A couple questions about the Trek Madone:
1. Are there big differences in the frames between 2008 and 2009?
2. The lower end Madones, the 4.5 and 4.7 TCT carbon Made in Taiwan models---Are these the ones that are supposedly made in Giant's factory? These two are in my price range and I'd like to know if these frames are any good.
3. If trying to compare a 2008 5.2 Pro (OCLV Black Carbon,Ultegra SL, USA made) at $2800 and a 2009 4.7 (TCT Taiwan carbon, Ultegra) at $2500, what would be the better choice? It seems if geometry hasn't changed between 08 and 09 as far as the frames go, then the OCLV carbon frame of the 08 5.2 Pro would be a better choice. Am I right?

All info appreciated! I'm sure I will be posting more comparisons here and asking for advice as I narrow down my choices.

Thanks!

Nate
I know of no changes from '08 to '09 except for a couple of color choices and a replaceable rear der hanger - and price increases.

Trek's TCT carbons are made in Taiwan. I don't believe they're manufactured by Giant, but it's one of the larger, well known CF manufacturers and made to Trek's specifications. The 4.x series are nice bikes, but IMO in their respective price ranges there are better choices.

IME the 5.x series (OCLV) Madones win hands down over the 4.x series (TCT's), so yes, the '08 5.2 is a better choice over the '09 4.7.

BTW, except for the performance fit versions 3 cm higher HT, the geo of the new Madones is no different from the previous versions.

You may want to post this in the Trek forum as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
first of all the 2008 and 2009 4.7 are the same bike. at 2009 prices its a great bike for $2500. Same color same SKU i think which is why they price didnt go up from last year.

but if you found an 2008 5.2 for $2800 buy that its miles better than the 4.7, and the 2008 and 2009 ($3700) are pretty much the same except for paint and the saddle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PJ352 said:
I know of no changes from '08 to '09 except for a couple of color choices and a replaceable rear der hanger - and price increases.

Trek's TCT carbons are made in Taiwan. I don't believe they're manufactured by Giant, but it's one of the larger, well known CF manufacturers and made to Trek's specifications. The 4.x series are nice bikes, but IMO in their respective price ranges there are better choices.

IME the 5.x series (OCLV) Madones win hands down over the 4.x series (TCT's), so yes, the '08 5.2 is a better choice over the '09 4.7.

BTW, except for the performance fit versions 3 cm higher HT, the geo of the new Madones is no different from the previous versions.

You may want to post this in the Trek forum as well.
Thanks for your response. I took a look at but did not get to ride the '08 5.2 today-very nice bike and I like the color scheme--I'll have to wait for a dry day to get to ride it--maybe this coming Sunday. It was a performance fit, so it does have the 3cm higher head tube. I'm not sure if that would be a advantage or disadvantage or neither. I'll have to ride it and feel the difference. You mentioned that there are other bikes in this range that you think would be better options. What bikes do you recommend? I'm open to exploring any brand or model. Also, as compared to that '08 5.2, what do you think about the Giant TCR Advanced frames? (not the SL) I've ridden that and it's the strongest contender for the 5.2 so far (maybe that will change when I get to ride the 5.2 however).
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
N8shon said:
Thanks for your response. I took a look at but did not get to ride the '08 5.2 today-very nice bike and I like the color scheme--I'll have to wait for a dry day to get to ride it--maybe this coming Sunday. It was a performance fit, so it does have the 3cm higher head tube. I'm not sure if that would be a advantage or disadvantage or neither. I'll have to ride it and feel the difference. You mentioned that there are other bikes in this range that you think would be better options. What bikes do you recommend? I'm open to exploring any brand or model. Also, as compared to that '08 5.2, what do you think about the Giant TCR Advanced frames? (not the SL) I've ridden that and it's the strongest contender for the 5.2 so far (maybe that will change when I get to ride the 5.2 however).
The only 'advantage' the performance fit offers is a slightly less aggressive riding position (less saddle to bar drop - all else being equal) when compared to the pro fit versions. For reference, I preferred the pro fit and use a 6 cm saddle to bar drop, which is pretty moderate. BTW, the 4.x series all use the performance fit geo.

To be honest, I've found the Giant CF road bikes to be too stiff (jarring) for my liking, but I only weight 137 lbs. I also think they are more difficult to size simply because they come in less sizes than Trek or Specialized, to name two. Check out the Giant forum, because there was recently a recall on the TCR's.

In the mid $2k range, I'd opt for either the Tarmac Comp or Elite. Yes, the specs on the 4.7 are a little better (except for the wheelset), but IMO the frameset is the heart of the bike, and IME the Specialized carbons have superior road feel, are lighter and are of better quality than the TCT carbons. It wouldn't really be a fair comparison to pit these two models against a Trek OCLV model, because they cost substantially more, but Specialized Tarmac Expert and Pro models are comparable.

One last thing. Fit matters more than gear, so whatever you choose work with a reputable bike shop with a knowledgeable fitter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually rode the comparable Tarmac model the same day I rode the TCR and I liked the feel of the Giant better. However, it seems that (although I have yet to ride it) the Madone 5.2 is the best bang for my dollar, especially since it comes in only a couple hundred more than the TCR Advanced 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's help and advice. You have all been very helpful. I went with the '08 Madone 5.2 Performance Fit in the black/white/grey scheme-- understated and beautiful IMHO. I pick it up Monday. Today I got equipped with a silver/grey Bell sweep XC helmet, some Sidi Genius 5 shoes (I love these already, I just bought some Sidi Vertigo motorcycle boots at Christmas and I was more than happy to add another pair of Sidis to the stable, sooo comfortable and they look great, excellent materials/craftsmanship), bottle, and bottle holder. I now need to figure out what pedals to put on the bike and what cycle computer I'd like to get. Sooooo, any experience/advice on what pedal set or cycle computer you'd recommend? My local shop has a pair of '08 Ultegra pedals that are marked down to $100. That seems like a good deal but I don't want to buy without doing some research first---suggestions? Computer? Pedals?

Thanks!
 

·
my bike's underpowered
Joined
·
440 Posts
N8shon said:
Sooooo, any experience/advice on what pedal set or cycle computer you'd recommend? My local shop has a pair of '08 Ultegra pedals that are marked down to $100. That seems like a good deal but I don't want to buy without doing some research first---suggestions? Computer? Pedals?

Thanks!
Congrats on the new ride!

Just a thought - to get more responses (and not kink your thread), you might want to start a new thread in "General Cycling Discussion"
 

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
PJ352 said:
To be honest, I've found the Giant CF road bikes to be too stiff (jarring) for my liking, but I only weight 137 lbs. I also think they are more difficult to size simply because they come in less sizes than Trek or Specialized, to name two. Check out the Giant forum, because there was recently a recall on the TCR's.
The new '09s Adv and Adv Sl no longer have a jarring ride yet the frame is stiffer and lighter. Also, Giant quickly replaced all forks already related to the recall and this was a voluntary recall, so despite no one getting hurt Giant seemed to be proactive about the initial problem.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
mimason said:
The new '09s Adv and Adv Sl no longer have a jarring ride yet the frame is stiffer and lighter. Also, Giant quickly replaced all forks already related to the recall and this was a voluntary recall, so despite no one getting hurt Giant seemed to be proactive about the initial problem.
I've heard/ read the same regarding ride improvements made to the '09's, but have no first hand experience. My response was to a direct question from the OP and he didn't specify what year Giant TCR he was considering.

BTW, regarding the recall, I mentioned it merely to make the OP aware and point him to additional info. I agree that (to its credit) Giant was proactive.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top