Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my motorcycle back on the road now that I have a job and can afford to fix it. So I call around looking for tires and every one wants $500 for a set of tires. I can get them online for $250. The shops wont deal at all. Then I ask how about if I just bring you the wheels and the tires. And then they come back with "We can't mount any street tires we don't sell you." I use to have a hell of a time with this back in PA. The shops would charge me $50 a wheel for 5min work. But at lest I wasn't getting ripped off on the tires.

The other fun part is I put the bike in storage last year when I lost my job. So I went to the DMV today to get a new registration. I didn't pay it last year becasue I wasn't riding the bike. I tried to give the tags back to the state but got told i can't do that. So now the state tells me I have to pay $147 for a $17 registration becasue I let it go. I just can't win this one.
 

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
It's been awhile since I worked on a motorcycle, but I don't remember mounting tires to be particularly difficult. Any reason you can't do it yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lemonlime said:
It's been awhile since I worked on a motorcycle, but I don't remember mounting tires to be particularly difficult. Any reason you can't do it yourself?

I have thought about it. I know its really hard to do by hand with out making a mess out of the wheels.
 

·
Boobies!
Joined
·
8,163 Posts
Order this from Harbor Freight for $50

DIY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paredown said:
Order this from Harbor Freight for $50

DIY!

Interesting I would love to see how that works.

I found a shop that will mount them for me. It was kind of funny the guy asked me why I'm not buying the tires from them. I told him becasue the tires I want are going to be $500 and I can get them for $250. He asks me to hold on. Then comes back and just tells me they will do it for $39.99 a tire. LOL he didn't even tell me how much they wanted for the tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
motorbike tires

pulser955 said:
I'm trying to get my motorcycle back on the road now that I have a job and can afford to fix it. So I call around looking for tires and every one wants $500 for a set of tires. I can get them online for $250.

Are these special or regular tires costing more than car tires?
Are there not many shops around? If you drive to other cities maybe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
samh said:
Are these special or regular tires costing more than car tires?
Are there not many shops around? If you drive to other cities maybe

I don't know if you would say there special. There for a big sport bike. Sport Bike tires are always more expensive then car tires. And they only last for a summer.
We have 5 shops here and only one will do it. I could probably go to Boulder or Denver. But I'm willing to bet I will get mostly the same response.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top