Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a pair of Zipp 330 tubs on Friday, raced on Saturday and was in a 5 man pace line that that went down, all of us. Finished race, but noticed crack in front wheel. I have always heard that it cost 300.00 to have Zipp repair/replace damaged wheel and expected that. When shop got wheel back, bill was 483.00 dollars. 300 for rim, 60.00 for labor, all new spokes!!!!! and shipping. WTF. Called Zipp and asked about spokes, told me its their call. This is definitely not a poor man's sport.
 

·
More carbon fiber please!
Joined
·
791 Posts
Ya wanna play ya gotta pay. After being a drag racer and having "stuff" happen here and there at least cycling is a less expensive hobby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Yeah, it's just the cost of fun. Many ways it could've been worse....you could have broken an arm, a leg, or a head and been hospitalized for $5000-25000. Believe me, you will blow MUCH more money than $483 in your lifetime on unexpected costs, don't sweat it too much. :thumbsup:


**
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
After reading just the first five words, "Bought a pair of Zipp...", you forfeited any chance for sympathy concerning the wheel.
But I am sorry you went down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I destroyed a rear sram S60 in a grand fondo two weeks ago and they quoted me a similar price to repair and replace, I chalked it up and bought a new set of easton EC SL90 carbon clinchers, ;-)
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
Not sorry for you at all. Me, I'll buy what I can afford to replace - like $70 rims that I can get and replace myself and I'll make the call on the spokes. Ahhh the joys of factory-built cool-looking wheels eh?
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Mike T. said:
Ahhh the joys of factory-built cool-looking wheels eh?
I have to step in here. That's not a "factory-built" issue, it's a carbon rim issue. I've built plenty of custom carbon wheels. I've even built a bunch of those wheels with Zipp rims.

Rims can be damaged no matter what the material. As stated above, you have to know what you can afford to replace and be prepared for that. It sucks, but it's true.

-Eric
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike T.
Ahhh the joys of cool-looking wheels eh?

ergott said:
I have to step in here. That's not a "factory-built" issue, it's a carbon rim issue. I've built plenty of custom carbon wheels. I've even built a bunch of those wheels with Zipp rims.
Rims can be damaged no matter what the material. As stated above, you have to know what you can afford to replace and be prepared for that. It sucks, but it's true.
-Eric
There I fixed it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
mercurymike said:
Bought a pair of Zipp 330 tubs on Friday, raced on Saturday and was in a 5 man pace line that that went down, all of us. Finished race, but noticed crack in front wheel. I have always heard that it cost 300.00 to have Zipp repair/replace damaged wheel and expected that. When shop got wheel back, bill was 483.00 dollars. 300 for rim, 60.00 for labor, all new spokes!!!!! and shipping. WTF. Called Zipp and asked about spokes, told me its their call. This is definitely not a poor man's sport.
Did you buy 'em new or used?

Edit: Also, it could be worse. A buddy of mine went down in the final lap of a crit a couple weeks ago, and has a big crack in the TT of his SL3 frameset. That's a bit more than $483 to replace.
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
Kuma601 said:
If you got the old rim back, it could have been wall art. Cycling stuff can have a second life. ;)
Best thing I saw made from old carbon rims was coat hangers - some old spokes and nipples and yer good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Kuma601 said:
If you got the old rim back, it could have been wall art. Cycling stuff can have a second life. ;)

Haha I am doing the same thing with a old mountain bike rim that is beyond bent. That rim was the result of a wreck that broke both elbows. I now look at it and get a good laugh daily.
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
physcocyclist said:
Haha I am doing the same thing with a old mountain bike rim that is beyond bent. That rim was the result of a wreck that broke both elbows. I now look at it and get a good laugh daily.
Broke both elbows? Ouch!!! :eek: Look at these babies -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Mike T. said:
Broke both elbows? Ouch!!! :eek: Look at these babies -
Those are too cool. Man my jersey would look nice hanging on one of those lol.
And yes, I fractured both radial heads. In all honesty, I do not know how I pulled it off.

And back to the OP, That is truly a shame. But as everyone else said, it could of been worse.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top