Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe this: I just found out that a friend of ours died last night. 35-ish healthy woman, pulmonary embolism, 36 hours after getting off an airplane from Japan where she was visiting her inlaws. Stood up, fell down, didn't get up.

We hadn't seen them since winter. Not our closest friends, but she was one of the people that was nice to me when I first came to France and didn't speak the language, someone I figured would be around as long as I stayed here. Her poor husband, and parents!! It just gets worse every time I think about it from a different angle.

My wife is out of town working somewhere with crappy cellphone service. We're both in total shock...

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
That's sad indeed. Do you think it was in any way related to the 10 or so hrs on the plane? I'm thinking DVT. 35 is no age.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
Damn. My wife had a pulmonary embolism after surgery two years ago, but thankfully it didn't cause any lingering effects. Regardless, it was still the scariest day of our lives, and not something you want to hear a doctor say.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

My mom had two cousins that dropped dead. Both at age 38. One was at a family picnic. He stood up and died. Dropped like a rock. No warning, nothing. I was told the other one pretty much did the same thing, but can't remember the story on that one.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Oh my, definitely the long plane ride/DVT had something to do with it. My sister got this after coming back from Las Vegas, not even that long a plane ride, and my father got it too, not from flying, on coumadin the rest of his life.

Maybe aspirin should be mandatory for plane rides?? Such a tragedy.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
sorry for your loss, man. earlier this year i found out a consultant i used to work with, younger and in much better shape than me, sat down to watch tv and never got up.

this week i found out someone i went to HS with died of cancer.
its goin around, i guess.

·
noble dirtbag
98 Posts
cause

I just found this. I guess you should not sit still for long periods of time, get up and move.

In 9 out of 10 cases, pulmonary embolism (PE) begins as a blood clot in the deep veins of the leg (a condition known as deep vein thrombosis). The clot breaks free from the vein and travels through the bloodstream to the lungs, where it can block an artery.
Clots in the legs can form if blood flow is restricted and slows down. This can happen when you don't move around for long periods, such as:

* After some types of surgeries
* During a long trip in a car or on an airplane
* If you must stay in bed for an extended time

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine...

I was just reading about DVT and how the effects are hitting the athletic community (triathletes, climbers, etc.) as they travel distances to get to events and have a lower resting heart rate, which compounds things. If you're in a plane, get up and moving around.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't have more details for a while, but yeah it's pretty damn likely it was the flight. As someone who flies a couple hundred hours each year and has some vein issues (and owns two pair of full-length compression stockings that I will never ever forget to wear again on a long flight), I've heard a lot about DVT, even heard of people dying from it. But never anybody I knew.

It's just so f'd up. Her husband left Japan to live here with her over 10 years ago, estranging himself from his family there. They bought property here and made life-long plans. He's more French than Japanese now, socially speaking. He can't go back, really...but I don't even know if he ever bothered getting dual citizenship, in which case it would be hard to renew his visa next time around.

Being here in a very similar situation, I can only imagine the depth of loneliness he's going to experience after the shock begins to wear off. It's terrifying.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I'm sorry, lbashii. It's just utterly tragic how many people die much too young and without warning. Someone I 'knew' from another forum died in her sleep two nights ago. Mid-30s.

Myself, I recently was on an 8-hour red eye flight where I slept the whole time. Legs, particularly my left one, were really swollen. As I'm on chemo, docs sent me for an ultrasound yesterday just to be safe. Thankfully, no clot. But I will be wearing granny socks on the way back home.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
So sorry to hear about your friend, Ibashi. I hope her partner stays in his new life even without her--I really think that you can't go home again...

We almost lost a grad-school house-mate to DVT/clots (lots of consecutive trips on commuter planes)--it went into her lung area (somehow passing through heart without causing damage & got stuck in a vein, causing huge inflammation in her chest. Student Health mis-diagnosed it as flu (!) & then thought it might be pneumonia--thank god one of the other roomies took her to a real hospital...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts