Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
cycling as lifestyle
472 Posts
I know director sportiff (one of them) for team Endeka who rides Somec bikes. Riders report good handling characteristics and director sportiff says they had no issues with frames and forks. Based on this info I would recommend their frames.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Somec lovers will be elated to hear that Somec is back in the US! I am the US rep and showed Somec at Interbike this year. Still made in Lugo in the same shop they started in. More beautiful and iconic than ever. somec usa is on facebook and in a week I will have a complete site with all the frames, options,and finishes at Somec Italian Bicycles. Thank all of you who have perservered the last 10 years.
We have shops in SF, San Diego, Scottsdale, and LA, more coming. Blue Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Aqua
Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
Drop-dead-gorgeous frames guys. Thanks for the pics and info. This will assist me in my decision in buying a Somec. If have found this one and may buy it:

Huh, another new member dredging up a long dead thread. You did notice that the only replies from later than '07 were from the Somec 'rep' and that no one bothered to reply to them? Why do people dig this stuff and bring it back to life?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Huh, another new member dredging up a long dead thread. You did notice that the only replies from later than '07 were from the Somec 'rep' and that no one bothered to reply to them? Why do people dig this stuff and bring it back to life?
Right. Why record data or write history books? The idiocy...
I think next time, not commenting would help you look smarter. Just fyi.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
HI Pressed001. Did you end up buying the bike? I've always admired Somec and still love mine. If you get the bike, please show more close up photos of the frameset. I don't see many.

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Joe. Regretfully I could not buy the bike. It was snapped up pretty quick after just another day or so. It was really a nice looking bike. I rarely see Somec frames and when I do, they are always very nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a bit of sweet vintage Somec fully pantographed with one the wildest paint schemes ever...enjoy. It was a craigslist find and if I told you what I paid you'd call me a liar. Bike has just over 700 documented miles and is nearly 100% mint.
Some Somec history- The Somec logo you see in one the photos shows a white horse on a black background. Does that logo look familiar to anyone? It should, it's the Ferrari logo with a very slight change. Know what the change is...(see answer after last photo)

Answer: The slight chnage is the horse's tail is pointed down, the Ferrari pony has the tail up. Mr Somec had "stolen" the Ferrari pony for his bikes early and was asked to dinner by Mr Enzo Ferrari one evening. At dinner Enzo asked why he had "stolen" the logo and was using it on bikes. Somec replied that his bikes performed like Ferraris and were built with the same passion. Enzo was impressed and taken aback by Somec's bravado and said great, you can use my logo with one small change, point the pony's tail down and continue with your art. A handshake ended the evening and sealed the "agreement".

Can you imagine what would happen in 2007 if a company "borrowed" another company's logo. I doubt it would end in a handshake and a smile.

Sorry about the long post.

KRhea
PortlandVelo.net
I disagree with your “idea” that Oliviero Galligati used the cavallino on his bikes by “stealing” the logo. The truth is that the cavallino is a symbol of the area in Italy where Somecs are established. The use of the cavallino was agreed upon by both Ferrari and Gallegati with the tail differences as you’ve stated.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts