Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steven Bafus is a local MTB/BMX guy.

He is probably the only person in Seattle who can find a solid use for the Pronto bike share bikes (the system went bankrupt after about a year of no one using it - the City bailed them out, now they mostly sit Idle at tax payers expense)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
nice.

might try using the bike share bikes next time I am in town.

I remember a decade or so ago they had an informal bike share here. Just some old junker bikes, all painted yellow with rattle cans. honor system. Not sure what became of them. Maybe they are the bikes all painted white at roadside shrines now?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
nice.

might try using the bike share bikes next time I am in town.

I remember a decade or so ago they had an informal bike share here. Just some old junker bikes, all painted yellow with rattle cans. honor system. Not sure what became of them. Maybe they are the bikes all painted white at roadside shrines now?
That sounds like a great idea, but I picture a few a-holes ruining it.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I'm just a little disappointed that he didn't do a little saltwater riding at Shilshole (golden gardens). Seattle is the home of great city council ideas--you know--like the self cleaning outhouses on the downtown waterfront and the competition with San Francisco to attract and enable homeless drug addicts.

Seattle is an embarrassment to us residents of the remainder of Washington as we tend to get tagged with the same "lunatic" label.

He is probably the only person in Seattle who can find a solid use for the Pronto bike share bikes (the system went bankrupt after about a year of no one using it - the City bailed them out, now they mostly sit Idle at tax payers expense)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm just a little disappointed that he didn't do a little saltwater riding at Shilshole (golden gardens). Seattle is the home of great city council ideas--you know--like the self cleaning outhouses on the downtown waterfront and the competition with San Francisco to attract and enable homeless drug addicts.

Seattle is an embarrassment to us residents of the remainder of Washington as we tend to get tagged with the same "lunatic" label.
but the Seattle street parties are always a fun mixer - cops and hippies, masks and smoke, rocks and batons.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts

What would seem logical to me is that they wanted to keep the system and the only way to do that for sure would be to pay the folks that created the business. Otherwise the hardware would be considered assets of the company and would be sold to pay creditors.

Now, your next question should be Why. I would imagine that there is some plan to begin to reduce the number of cars in the city center. Remember that some ideas take longer to germinate than others. Could be that people haven't figured out how to work this alternative way of doing things into their daily lives. That could make it more of a marketing problem than a bad idea.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
^ great news for the shops that rent bikes to tourists.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There aren't many bike shops left in Seattle proper these days.

And, It's weird. I was in Seattle today and saw more people on those bikes than I have in three previous the years combined.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
There aren't many bike shops left in Seattle proper these days.
there are still quite a few. recycled cycles closed its fremont location, though, which does suck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts