Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it not a foregone conclusion that you will get caught if you dope? Or, are the chem. experts always coming up with a new "undetectable" drug?

I really liked watching Ricco race, this blows.

·
Banned
608 Posts
rkb said:
Is it not a foregone conclusion that you will get caught if you dope? Or, are the chem. experts always coming up with a new "undetectable" drug?

I really liked watching Ricco race, this blows.
Up until, perhaps, this year you had almost no chance of being caught unless you were stupid or you made a mistake.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Up until, perhaps, this year you had almost no chance of being caught unless you were stupid or you made a mistake.
+1. They wouldn't be doing it if it was a forgone conclusion that they were going to get caught. Even in the wake of this incident, I feel confident that we are a long way from cleaning up what used to be known at the Pro Tour (and that's not mentioning amateur cycling at all levels).

·
Registered
650 Posts
gizzard said:
+1. They wouldn't be doing it if it was a forgone conclusion that they were going to get caught. Even in the wake of this incident, I feel confident that we are a long way from cleaning up what used to be known at the Pro Tour (and that's not mentioning amateur cycling at all levels).
i race at an equivelent to cat one level and have never been tested and nor has anybody i know of. There are rumors of guys i have raced against on the dope, but what do u do?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
It looks like this drug only went on the market a couple months ago and riders did not know there was a test for it. All 3 positives have apparently been for it. And appears it is not a recombinant drug that looks like our hormones and clears out in a hurry. This is something that is more artificial with a long half-life, so probably a fair number of nervous riders in the bunch.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
rkb said:
Is it not a foregone conclusion that you will get caught if you dope?
It was recently discovered that about 10 percent of Caucasians and around 67 percent of Asians have genetic variations that allow them to take testosterone without being detected by the standard tests.

There might be a similar variation (not discovered yet by scientists) that lets some athletes beat the EPO test.

If an athlete with the right genes dopes and beats the tests, he won't know it's the genes that let him cheat, so he might think he has a special trick that beats the test. If he shares the "trick" with his teammates and they don't have the right gene, they will be caught.

I am guessing that there's a certain amount of this going on. In the case of testosterone, t would certainly explain what happened with Floyd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.