Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a front rack...

TIG is setup. Bender is acquired (hopefully it works!), Tubing is on its way. Ortlieb Front Rollers arrive on Wednesday.

I cant wait for vacation!

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Nice! What tubing are you using, just straight 3/16" SS rods such as 304? That stuff's not too pricey through McMaster.

I was thinking yesterday how it would be nice to somehow make my own rack. Decent ones are expensive.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
Nice! What tubing are you using, just straight 3/16" SS rods such as 304? That stuff's not too pricey through McMaster.

I was thinking yesterday how it would be nice to somehow make my own rack. Decent ones are expensive.
10mm Carbon Steel Tubing. Same as most racks. Says "Bendable" on the Mcmaste Carr Websight. I dont like using rod, because of the weight/stiffness. Well see how it goes!

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creakyknees said:
existing racks aren't good enough? or you just like doing it yourself?
Existing front racks are ~$100+... thats crazy... I just bought 4m of tubing for 28 bucks, that should make two racks (but ill screw the first one up) :)

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weltyed said:
dont you know carbon breaks, it doesnt bend?
I almost used Magnesium :D But since Mag is lighter than air, they had a big release at the magnesium distillery and the US production is halted.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
If they both come out good i'd buy one set.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
I figure that my time is worth $30/hr to me. At that rate, if I were undertaking this project and it took me more than 6 hours total, it would be a losing proposition to build something that is already commercially available.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
I figure that my time is worth $30/hr to me. At that rate, if I were undertaking this project and it took me more than 6 hours total, it would be a losing proposition to build something that is already commercially available.
yeah, but it is also bent's entertainment.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
I suppose that might mean something to someone who doesn't see any value (other than cost/benefit) in doing a job like this.

Christ, why bother to do anything by yourself when you can just buy it off the friggin' shelf, right? :nonod:

Bent, you go boy. Take pics when you're done.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Antonio_B said:
I suppose that might mean something to someone who doesn't see any value (other than cost/benefit) in doing a job like this.

Christ, why bother to do anything by yourself when you can just buy it off the friggin' shelf, right? :nonod:

The difference is when I can do something better or different, I will. I suppose this could also be viewed as a learning experience where there is much greater value gained in experience that would not be realized by buying a rack.

If Bent wants to start producing racks out of his garage this will be a valuable exercise. If he wants to build bicycle frames, I think he'd be better served mitering 1-1.5" tubes and practicing on them as the welding motion, heat control, etc. is significantly different.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Antonio_B said:

+1 If it trips your trigger, then do it by yourself insteading of buying it.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cyclo-phile said:
The difference is when I can do something better or different, I will. I suppose this could also be viewed as a learning experience where there is much greater value gained in experience that would not be realized by buying a rack.

If Bent wants to start producing racks out of his garage this will be a valuable exercise. If he wants to build bicycle frames, I think he'd be better served mitering 1-1.5" tubes and practicing on them as the welding motion, heat control, etc. is significantly different.
IMO, small diameter tubing is much more difficult to produce high quality welds on. 1" tubes are bread and butter. Remember, I did 1-2" tubes on race-cars at my university for 6 years... The small ones always gave me more trouble.

Now, I have a welder with amperage control down to 1Amp. So I dont think Ill have any issues :thumbsup:

//EDIT: When it comes to this stuff. My time is worthless, or should I say priceless?

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Okay, I'll admit to coming across a bit harsh in my first reply. I have my hobbies and labors of love too.

Apologies, Bent. If you have any welding questions, feel free to ask. I'm a welding engineer in real life.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
Okay, I'll admit to coming across a bit harsh in my first reply. I have my hobbies and labors of love too.

Apologies, Bent. If you have any welding questions, feel free to ask. I'm a welding engineer in real life.
weld symbols according to an engineer;)

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
LOL! According to someone who did a writeup of their tour of Moots on a blog, those are "tact" welds. HTH.

Hey Bent, could I weld/braze something like that up using a MAPP torch? Without catching something on fire?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts