Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Team Saxobank continues to hemorrhage all-stars. Cancellera pulled out of the Vuelta yesterday without his team's knowledge, turned off his phone and took a runner for the airport. Somehow I don't think he'll be back with them next year. So much for the vaunted 1, 2 GC and Classics tandem of Contador and Cancellera. The amount of dissatisfaction on that team is amazing. The sponsors must love the drama :rolleyes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saxo-bank-angry-over-cancellaras-vuelta-exit
 

·
Masters Neophyte
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
WOW!! :yikes:
Hmmm, yes, something does appear to be up at Saxo...
Wonder what's really going on?
Good luck Spartacus! I hope somebody good can afford you.
 

·
Masters Neophyte
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
By the way, GREAT thread title! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,135 Posts
I like how people look at this as all Riis's fault. Up to this point the team was viewed as one of the best run teams out there because Riis and these riders flourished in the structure. Now that they are leaving, some in quite unprofessional ways, Riis is some sort of ******* that they are right to flee from sorry I don't buy it. Andy and Frank were wrong to try and and announce their new team prior to the Tour and they were wrong to have promotion material for their new bike sponsor prior to their current contract being finished. Andy lost himself the tour cause he can't freaking shift and got himself removed from the Vaulta cause he couldn't act like a pro and abide by team rules for a few more weeks. Cancellara puling out without team approval and then taking off is pretty poor form. For all I know Riis might be a tought task master but clearly he knows how to set up and run a team and he put alot of hard work into building that program so I can see why hes pissed that they guys a leaving in such a flip and unprofessional way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
177 Posts
32and3cross said:
I like how people look at this as all Riis's fault. Up to this point the team was viewed as one of the best run teams out there because Riis and these riders flourished in the structure. Now that they are leaving, some in quite unprofessional ways, Riis is some sort of ******* that they are right to flee from sorry I don't buy it. Andy and Frank were wrong to try and and announce their new team prior to the Tour and they were wrong to have promotion material for their new bike sponsor prior to their current contract being finished. Andy lost himself the tour cause he can't freaking shift and got himself removed from the Vaulta cause he couldn't act like a pro and abide by team rules for a few more weeks. Cancellara puling out without team approval and then taking off is pretty poor form. For all I know Riis might be a tought task master but clearly he knows how to set up and run a team and he put alot of hard work into building that program so I can see why hes pissed that they guys a leaving in such a flip and unprofessional way.

clearly you don't know the whole story...and neither do i.
but when 3 of the top cyclists in the world (and most of the team management) literally walk away from a team, something is rotten.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
177 Posts
Zampano said:
^ Clearly (lol) you said you don't know, then you said you do.
clearly, reading comprehension is not your forte.
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
lastchild said:
clearly you don't know the whole story...and neither do i.
but when 3 of the top cyclists in the world (and most of the team management) literally walk away from a team, something is rotten.
Don't forget that Riis didn't have a sponsor for 2011 going into the TdF.

Doesn't seem surprising that folks would start looking for another gig. Some of them were successful.
 

·
Where's that GPS?
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
32and3cross said:
I like how people look at this as all Riis's fault. Up to this point the team was viewed as one of the best run teams out there because Riis and these riders flourished in the structure. Now that they are leaving, some in quite unprofessional ways, Riis is some sort of ******* that they are right to flee from sorry I don't buy it. Andy and Frank were wrong to try and and announce their new team prior to the Tour and they were wrong to have promotion material for their new bike sponsor prior to their current contract being finished. Andy lost himself the tour cause he can't freaking shift and got himself removed from the Vaulta cause he couldn't act like a pro and abide by team rules for a few more weeks. Cancellara puling out without team approval and then taking off is pretty poor form. For all I know Riis might be a tought task master but clearly he knows how to set up and run a team and he put alot of hard work into building that program so I can see why hes pissed that they guys a leaving in such a flip and unprofessional way.
+1 Totally agree.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
Neither side did anything wrong- its just business.

Riis didn't have a primary sponsor until deep in the season. Andy and Frank planned accordingly, and set up a new team. They also quite smartly started recruiting known riders and management for their team.

Riis got a chance to sign Conty, and quite smartly did so. Obviously the "new" team would be structured around him. In bringing in his Astana support crew, the old CSC/Saxo guys would be marginalized a bit.

Sparticus' contract was up, his current team was changing drastically, and many of his friends are on the new Luxo team. As for dropping out of the Vuelta- meh. Elite riders not gunning for the GC have been using this as a training race for years now.

So we are going to have two good teams, rather than one. Teams that are now rivals. I think we as fans win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
Coolhand said:
Sparticus' contract was up, his current team was changing drastically, and many of his friends are on the new Luxo team.
No, Cancellera had one more year on his contract. Riis agreed to release him from it; terms undisclosed.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
asgelle said:
No, Cancellera had one more year on his contract. Riis agreed to release him from it; terms undisclosed.
Got it- thanks!

:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Maybe Contador wants the team structured to his liking and is thinking to himself that he doesn't need Cancellera, he did win his Tours without him.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
Saxo

will be set up to my guessing like USPS / Discovery with total focus on TdF victories

we all know how well that served Classics contenders like Hincapie

I don't think there is bad blood, I think they realized they were heading in directions that did not coincide

Fabian dropping out, well Worlds is right around the corner
 

·
Twitterpated
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Contador probably doesn't want the extra pressure and work of defending the yellow jersey for the first week of le Tour after Cancellar wins the prologue. :idea:
 

·
Dr. Flats a lot
Joined
·
740 Posts
It seems everything started falling apart when Riis sent O'Grady and Andy home. Pretty extreme for having a couple beers. I think that was the coup de grace to Saxo Bank.
I'm guessing there was a lot of badness going on behind closed doors and Cancellera was just burnt. Dropping out is no big foul, nobody said anything when he dropped out of ToC.
 

·
Where's that GPS?
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
Coolhand said:
Neither side did anything wrong- its just business.

Riis didn't have a primary sponsor until deep in the season. Andy and Frank planned accordingly, and set up a new team. They also quite smartly started recruiting known riders and management for their team.

Riis got a chance to sign Conty, and quite smartly did so. Obviously the "new" team would be structured around him. In bringing in his Astana support crew, the old CSC/Saxo guys would be marginalized a bit.

Sparticus' contract was up, his current team was changing drastically, and many of his friends are on the new Luxo team. As for dropping out of the Vuelta- meh. Elite riders not gunning for the GC have been using this as a training race for years now.

So we are going to have two good teams, rather than one. Teams that are now rivals. I think we as fans win.
Good points. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top