Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something tells me Boonen will have an even bigger 2006 THAN 2005

One, Two, Three stages in Qatar thus far and let's face it, he's not even really trying. I think he'll repeat the Flanders/Roubaix double and at least another classic possibly two. I think he'll take the Green Jersey and win multiple stages in the TdF and take a host of victories in some minor races. This is the year he becomes a legend.

He's appears even stronger, confidence is riding high, ambitions are huge, main competition is starting to age,.... Barring accident and illness I think the world is Tom's tomatoe to squash this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
Sintesi said:
One, Two, Three stages in Qatar thus far and let's face it, he's not even really trying. I think he'll repeat the Flanders/Roubaix double and at least another classic possibly two. I think he'll take the Green Jersey and win multiple stages in the TdF and take a host of victories in some minor races. This is the year he becomes a legend.

He's appears even stronger, confidence is riding high, ambitions are huge, main competition is starting to age,.... Barring accident and illness I think the world is Tom's tomatoe to squash this year.
Too early to tell, he's not exactly outsprinting big hitters. Zabel has made a living out of second and thirds for years now, and nobody else there really even rates as a big time sprinter. Repeating the big double will always be hard because in a one-day race even being the strongest is no certainty of a win.
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
He's the pick for MSR. He said he wants a classics hat trick/treble. He may get it. Perhaps MSR, PR and RvV or LBL. Maybe he'll get PT also but we'll see... It's a long season and it's very very early.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mohair_chair said:
Hey, I'm a big fan of his, but what makes you think anyone else is trying?
Yah I know. Tour of Qatar is soooo important and there's sooo much competition there. ; ) But still according to the interviews Tom seems surprised at the ease of his victories and how little effort he's had to put in.

Just a feeling. Last year was fantastic but this year will be an explosion.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,882 Posts
The guy made me mad when he -- I mean, I know it's his decision and all, but -- when you're 24 and just coming into your own as a major star in a sport, why announce your retirement 6 years away?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Argentius said:
The guy made me mad when he -- I mean, I know it's his decision and all, but -- when you're 24 and just coming into your own as a major star in a sport, why announce your retirement 6 years away?
He made me mad when he broke his contract with USPS and people started call him the next Museeuw. Now he's a superstar millionaire cyclist and I think he's the next De Vlaeminck F*** Museeuw. The kid is a cycling god.

Of course I have notariously horrible abilities of prognostication. Granted.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
923 Posts
But why stay at USPS riding second fiddle to Hincapie and being 'brought along slowly' when you can be out there winning races and becoming a superstar? Going to Lefevre was the best thing Boonen could have done and he's just what the sport needs now - young, exciting, approachable, speaks several languages, can win from a sprint or go it alone in a break
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
rocco said:
He's the pick for MSR. He said he wants a classics hat trick/treble. He may get it. Perhaps MSR, PR and RvV or LBL. Maybe he'll get PT also but we'll see... It's a long season and it's very very early.
MSR, PR, RvV & PT I can understand & agree. LBL is another matter. Not a prayer, not because he's not an amazing talent rather the race is not suited to his abilities.

I for one am looking forward to a season with a young & worthy World Champion. I think Boonen is the most exciting World Champion for many years. Many of the winners in the last 10 years have been a little suprising or have been at the tail end of their career. Does anyone remember Astarloa from before or after his win?

So good luck Tom, I look forward to you breaking the curse and hope I don't jinx you by saying so!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top