Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
listen here cool cats,

so we have all been plucked from one safe envieronment and dumped into another that is unfamiliar and in some ways challenging. it's kinda like first day back at school or moving to a new neighbourhood.

nothing is as it always was. uncertainty and hurdles need to be approached. it's never as easy as staying with the old. if we are honest it's always easier to hide under our mothers skirts than to step out and venture beyond earshot and sight ... but that is admittedly what makes it enticing.

truth be told my eyes hurt when i look at the new style of forum. i kinda think that the whole world has been bought by some spotty teenage kid who owns the AOL empire and knows no better. avatars, kitschy icons, distracting format styles, and text look so tacky compared to the elegance and fluidity of what we were using on the old forum. many have expressed in vain how sweet it was to follow threads and pick up on favorite quick quips, favored posters and thread mutations on the old way. as i write it appears there ain't a lot we can do to reverse the steps taken.

Gregg and Co. have thought about all of this longer than any of us here who breeze in and out have. it is their interest and occupation and liability. they group together like minds on and inexpensive medium and make it engaging enough for us to want to return. a small percentage may stray from what us "amateurs" muse over and click onto paid advertisers, confirm purchasing decisions of related content that were being mused over or maybe even driven some "bikelust" which altogether is doing the industry as a whole some good (if not ebay). not for one minute have Gregg and Co. thought of making changes to what was unless there was some benefit to themselves and perhaps even us. maybe the reality was that the "old" was high maintenance, or unstable, or economicaly unfeasable. maybe it wasn't capable of moving into future projects or plans or liable to be outdated. also, keep in mind that most new people that stumble accross roadbikeREVIEW.com will check out and click on many other site features before getting hooked into the forums that we all feel an inalienable right to enjoy - but - conversly the forums may have little or no economic value compared to things like reviews, product info, sponsored icons and flashing logo's etc etc.

how many of us really open our pockets to fund what we all need as much as our coffee, Charmin double ply toilet paper, or HBO. our "old" forum made our day, inspired us to beauty and comfort, represented a place where we finally felt comfortable amongst like minds rather than freaks who fetishize bicycles, and in many ways opened us up to each other in ways that were so special and heartwarming that if we really thought about it, truly was both communal and brotherly. we laughed plenty, shared pain, tried to occupy our boredom, pushed each other to be better (spend more?), and even used each other to cope with what ails us. we lost some we knew, watched others we hated come good and even figured out that campy is better than shimano (i knew all along). maybe i speak for myself but when i think of all that i have gained from this forum and all of you who attended, then relate that to how little it cost me (exactly $0.00c) divided by how bewilderingly important it was to be here, listen in and occasionally throw some words of bait/opinion/madness in the mix i would be a hipocrit and and ingrate to complain or to wish to refrain. im a free-rider and i am happy. for real dudes, i am both proud to have kinda know you and been known by you. i have also made some real friends and i have read things posted by some of you that i will never meet that have been not only been profound but have had positive effect on how i view things oustide of just riding a bike.

the new setup will take us a while to figure out, we may lose some, but ultimately its the posters who count and not the format. shakespeare could write his words with a spraycan on a subway car but the content, with its meliflous beauty and abject ponderances, will always remain not only art but the thing that makes us human and above our daily trivial diversions. this new format doesn't mean forever, it isnt incapable of adapting or moving to a utopian direction for dream postings, and may take some before we figure out it's riches and benefits over the old. im not a fan of new either - heck i have half as many gears as most of you chumps, and even shift them manually. ultimately, whatever happens if these forums are important to the future of RBR.com and they aint working or attracting enough peep's then the old will be with us or a better new version will replace it.

i dont ask much from you cats but i will ask this - embrace what we have and have faith. without us it doesn't happen. let's post, help each other out, show patience and let's give it a try. i live in NYC and each night i go out i truly believe im gonna get laid. it may not always happen but if i dont convict to my beliefs then i aint never gonna go out and will never get laid. between me and you i do pretty well and dont give it much more thought other than i'd rather try than reflect for not trying. nobody got anything without trying - us cyclists should know this.

if i din't see mssrs. haiku and hickey step up to the plate with a more active role i would have sat back and judged more like some have - the fact they have not only adds to the integrity and commitment of our recent changes but shows great promise. if our best pave the way then we cant do much but have faith and follow suit as we have only to gain and plenty to lose if we really stop and think about it. there are so many people who are in my life, are close and i have know for quite sometime yet some of you quacks on this board
in some odd way influence me more and perhaps even know me better. we are all addicts of a good thing, and if some of you have forgotten i'll remind you - ALL CYCLISTS ARE FAMILY.

i have been absent from the board for a while doing some cool but very involving things, hopefully to the benefit of more than just myself. i didnt seek so but fate doesnt ask and my heart is true and things are meant to be. in strange ways and in difficult times when i was far far away from a computer i sometimes thought of the things written and the people writing - it would be a shame to let a good thing down. OK?

so what if a good portion of my braincells are inhibited by tequila as i happen to be writing all this but tomorrow i hope to wake and find the good old friday postings that we know and love and all that matters and is right about this place. plenty saucy chicks on bikes, podium girls galore and the definative solution to removing bacon strips or skid marks from bike chamois linings. Ladies and Gentlemen, let the games begin ;-)

i love you all (well ... some more than others)

ciao

****POSTCRIPT *****

(spirito was then heard to koo to the hot chick he had only met hours before, now seductively beckoning him (use your imagination) from his stylish, well used, purpose built, yet understated loveseat that subtly indicates his jetset lifestyle accross the room from his computer "yeah baby, im comming - i just gotta send this email off to an important client overseas and im all yours". )

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
who loves ya baby

I am hanging out here and posting same as it ever was. Things will come around although some folks come and go and I miss them dearly (including you too Spirtio) the value of this site to me is the family not the form.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
You da Man, Spirito

"dont ask much from you cats but i will ask this - embrace what we have and have faith. without us it doesn't happen. let's post, help each other out, show patience and let's give it a try. i live in NYC and each night i go out i truly believe im gonna get laid. it may not always happen but if i dont convict to my beliefs then i aint never gonna go out and will never get laid. between me and you i do pretty well and dont give it much more thought other than i'd rather try than reflect for not trying. nobody got anything without trying - us cyclists should know this. "

I'd rather try too......which is why I have been trying to reach out to Gregg, in the hopes that he will understand how much has been taken away, and how little has been added. Unfortunatly, the powers that be have overestimated the gains (to us) and underestinated the loss (to us). I'm willing to question wether it's me who is underestimating, but it doesn't seem that they are. OTOH, I should probably worry more about the things i can control, which is do I walk, or do I stay and grumble. Like you, there is more to this board for me than the format, I just hate it when those that make anyplace what it is are so quickly minimized. But it is what it is.

That being said, your well lubricated wisdon is inarguable. Thanks for the sanity check.

Welcome back BTW, the place just wasn't the same without you.

Len

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well Said, the new format is going to take some getting used to. I have been lurking here for years I don't post a lot. But before the old format there was an even older format and when that was changed there was a huge stink, some people like Doug and others will remember. I hope the people that say they are giong to leave come back and try and get comfortable again, if not then oh well I am sure new people will come in.

·
Administrator
13,070 Posts
Same as it ever was, only with more purdy pictures and less annoying trolls.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
finally, just what the doctor ordered!

that is, besides penicillin. :D

much love my brotha

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
sheesh

So it's different, BFD. If we'd all just wandered in here today for the first time, and this was the format we found, and we used it for a couple of years and liked the content, and then it was changed to what is now known as the "old format," people would be carping about their loss of avatars, the lack of hybrid view, the ease of posting images, the ability to subscribe to threads, the option to ignore trolls, etc., etc., etc.

It's different - in my mind better is many ways, worse in perhaps one or two but just another app to learn in the grand scheme of the web-world. It's still about the information available and the people posting, and those are what counts. To listen to this you'd think they took everyone's favorite sports bar and installed brass railings, stained glass and ferns. "Let's all go down the street to Jimmy Miller's, that's a real man's bar. I'm not drinking here anymore"

Folks, it's been said more eloquently above, but this is it - if people are going to let a stinking software app break up their "beloved" community, then I guess I have to wonder how beloved it was to them in the first place. It's only softwware for God's sake. I've been around here since I was a dirt eating MTBer that stuck my toe into Roadies Rejoice once in a while, but perhaps the fact that I've not invested myself in being part of the in-group is making this easier for me. Or perhaps I'm not afraid of new software the way others are. Whatever the reason, I'm not finding this change as horrendous as some are. I do understand that change does not come easy to one and all, but really it's just an online forum, and life will go on. "Sense of loss" c'mon people.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
"nothing is as it always was"

Yes we're all adjusting to these newfangled ways, many of us muttering about what is being left behind. How pleased I am though to see Spirito back and in fine form! Perhaps what's really warranted is for each of us to rise to our best selves and continue to pour our content, our enthusiasms, onto this site for the benefit of our community.

I too miss the threads within threads that are not evident on this new software. This version is more nonlinear and various than the last incarnation of rbr. But so long as we interact and evolve with it, and request changes as necessary, this board will remain vibrant, an excellent resource and diversion. With J as our moderator, and Spirito back, I'm confident about the future of this community.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Less about change than about what fits in my life.

It takes a lot more time for me to navigate so it doesn't work as well for posting on the job. I might get quicker with time, but this is a busy time of year in my work, so I'm not likely to find out for a while. I'm not sure what the sequence is for the threads, but I feel like I'm missing some of the esoterica I most enjoy about the board. All the cute stuff, avatars and smiley faces, is kind of wasted on me, but I guess people like it. I asked for e-mail and now don't have time to figure out how to make it stop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's software on a posting board. People are forever. It's just learning a new sequence of clicks, nothing more. Maybe a trendy avatar will tie a name with a moniker and create friends anew. One never knows. Some people will drop, others will arrive never having known. It won't matter. It's still the same. It's still Gregg and Doug and Spirito and J and MB and all the others and nobodies like me.

It still all revolves around a bicycle, that simple yet efficient transportation mode that brings us here to talk, argue, love, hate, feel and spiel.

That's why I hang around here, anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
now we need Trollman and radical Ron for one happy family reunion

Spirito,

don't you find it is a bit odd that you magically appieared "to save the day" for new crappy format board, just when RBR mgmt needed you? It isn't about faith, and I don't really care if you're real or not, paid to write or do it for own enjoyment.

This and other boards of this kind are entertament, that's why people come here for, and what have been done to forum is equivalent of replacing 50" DLP TV with 13" black and white. What the value of all those kool gismos, if you have to peep at them through keyhole??

Yes you're right, some will *****, some will get used to, some /like philippec/ are in search of new home. Making changes is a dangerous business.

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success and more dangerous to carry through, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has against him those who benefited from the old system; while those who should benefit from the new are only lukewarm friends, being suspicious, as men generally are, of something new and not yet experienced. -- Machiavelli, The Prince, 7

CP

PS make no mistake I am not interested in flame war, don't bother. Besides, who's gonna read it anyways if it is barried deep in this thread?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,360 Posts
Is your writing worth zero?

If so, you underestimate your skills.

You do pay value to RBR. You pay with rights to use your intellectual property. RBR can use your content in any way they want.

You keep all rights to use what you type of course. You grant permission to use, not exclusive rights.

RBR is its content. User generated content.

My writing is worth more than $0.00. So is my time.

I don't give very MUCH of either to this place, so others do invest more. Some less. That's not a problem.

EXCELLENT prose. A joy to read. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My $0.02 is that if you are not making someone angry, you are not working hard enough. The new forum design is fine and no harder to learn than switching from Windows 98 to XP.

Now lets start seeing more bike related posts!

John G

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
my thoughts....

Similiar to bikefan forum site but much,much,much slower. Bikefan also seems more user friendly. But I have learned and laughed a lot with this forum so I will stick around. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.