Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my ride in about 1 mile from home I got the song "gloria" by Laura Branigan stuck in my head.

For 10 miles I sang the same dang verse over and over again until I got to work and could get some music going to push it back in the confines of the 1980's memory bank from where it escaped.

Gloria (Gloria)
I think they got your number
(Gloria)
I think they got the alias
(Gloria)
That you've been living under
(Gloria)
But you really don't remember
Was it something that they said
Are the voices in your head
Calling, Gloria

worse still a little while ago I Rickrolled myself and sang that all the way to work too. Sometimes I wonder if I should ride with a MP3 player rather than sing a few lines in my head over and over and over again ad nauseum.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
They're called Earworms

I have them all the time. My wife laughs because I have a default earworm, "My Blue Heaven", I got it from watching M*A*S*H the movie one too many times.

·
Registered
834 Posts
'Earworms"...there's a name for that phenomenon! I hates it! I've had a guitar solo from Ten Years After "Sugar the Road" looping for DAYS in my head! Sometimes listening to a very different piece of music will supplant it, sometimes not. I really wish somebody could teach me how to obliterate these...

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Thanks a lot...I'll be singing that song all afternoon..... I always had a crush on Laura Branigan

EDIT: I just googled Laura Branigan...she died in 2004...that sucks...
Hmm brain aneurysm. That is sad. So important safety tip: If you have a headache for more than a few days go to the doctor, don't ignore it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Earworms, so that's what you call them. I have the same thing happen to me, usually it's something I've listened to recently and sometimes it may be a song I don't particularly like. It just sticks for some reason. I think my favorite earworm is Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I find that I have some "standards". They're sort of like the top 40 station in my head.
My favorite cycling song is Johnny B. Goode, by Chuck Berry. Sharp Dressed Man, and She's Got Legs. When I'm not riding there's an eclectic mix of classic rock, blues and classical music, along with a college fight song of unknown origin. I am, among other things, a musician so I have a lot of stuff from which to choose.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
rockpharmer said:
this mornign it was NOFX, "my vagina"

no kidding.
Wow, how unoriginal. April Winchell did a song called My Vagina back somewhere in the early 2000s.

Meanwhile, my earworm on today’s ride starts out (skipping the intro chorus) like this:

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher
But I flew too high

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I made a play list of songs I normally hate, but get stuck in my head.

The two worst...

Oh Sherrie (Steve Perry) ok.. I don't hate it...but still...

and the number one offender...

Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) by Christopher Cross

My co-worker had it in his head for three days after I mentioned it. Terrible song. It always somehow reminds me of the swank 80's and the Eagle 4x4 station wagon featured as a Tic Tac Dough game show prize as it pulls of at the hotel on a rainy night...and how Gentlemen prefer Hanes. Weird times those early 80's.

...Living his life one day at a time
And showing himself a really good time
Laughing about the way they want him to be

When you get caught between the Moon and New York City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the Moon and New York City
The best that you can do .....
The best that you can do is fall in love...

·
Endure26
175 Posts
Unless I'm riding with the mp3 I always have a song in my head.

Heard Eddie Money on the radio Saturday, "Gimme Some Water" cause I shot a man on the Mexican border...cool, cool, water, gimme some water. Came home and downloaded and it stuck around for two days.

Yesterday and today it has been Street Dogs - "Back to the World". Earbuds usually take care of the earworms.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah... going cross country years ago I had "Hey Mister..." by Custom, stuck in my head through most of Wyoming, on into South Dakota.

It's not what ya did,
It's not what ya didn't
God gave her a perfect body
And now I'm all up in it.

It's not she's a tramp.
It's not she's not pure.
She just likes getting her f!ck on,
And it's good one of that I'm sure

Hey Mister I really like your daughter.
When I'm horny like thirsty
She's a bottle of water.

...for miles, and miles, and miles, and miles...

That's the problem with long trips and living in a tent. No electricity to power or recharge audio devices. And then there's the inevitable process where the song that won't go away starts to morph, the words change just enough in your head, but it still sounds, somehow, like it's right... and then you're "that guy,' singing a stupid song, with the wrong words, and irritating everyone...

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oddly enough on the way home I had the song from Flashdance which of course now completely and thankfully escapes my mind. I guess yesterday was 80's chick rock from the memory banks. Weird.

When I first started mountain biking back in the day I would get the alphabet song/twinkle twinkle little star/christmas carols stuck in my head all the time and then the theme from the Brady Bunch. So annoying so incredibly annoying. There is a relationship between the amount that you know a song and the chances of it repeating over and over again as you ride. I have had Steve Perry too but not in recent memory but probably will now thanks.

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
This was my most recent affliction, but I get them all the time. Please ignore the commercial.

<embed allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/486bc0385968f12e" width="384" height="283" quality="high" wmode="transparent" id="W486bc0385968f12e" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Usually, it's something really annoying.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.