Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderator Phone 1.0, soon to be replaced with Moderator Phone 2.0, as I take another long drink of the Job's KoolAid.

Smiting Spammers Slightly Faster, there's an App for that.

The AT&T store was actually pretty nice too. About a 3 day wait on the phone is the only bummer- better that the 3 week one promised by Apple.

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the vastly better camera, vastly better display, more storage, HD video- its a pretty compelling in person. Only bummer is the annoying Steve Job Tax (AppleCare).

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I tried

to get one of those like 5 times, the last one got "lost in the mail" or something.

Still waiting.

What's the deal with the Applecare thing though? I have never bought into that extended warranty business.

What is it good for? I hear it is no good if you break it, and that's the... um, only thing I"d want it for.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Whatever you do,don't drop it! The whole front glass face shattered on mine from a 2ft fall. Granted it hit concrete. Apple store replaced it in 15 minutes...Sweet! :)

Got home that night and my free bumper was delivered.:mad2:

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Coolhand said:
The AT&T store was actually pretty nice too. About a 3 day wait on the phone is the only bummer- better that the 3 week one promised by Apple.
there's still a wait :confused:

I dropped by the Apple store last week, decided it was time, and walked out with a new iP4 with my account transferred over in about 15 min. Done & done.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Hollywood said:
there's still a wait :confused:

I dropped by the Apple store last week, decided it was time, and walked out with a new iP4 with my account transferred over in about 15 min. Done & done.
Nuh-uh, you just have a piece of cardboard with iPhone 4 written on it.

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Argentius said:
to get one of those like 5 times, the last one got "lost in the mail" or something.

Still waiting.

What's the deal with the Applecare thing though? I have never bought into that extended warranty business.

What is it good for? I hear it is no good if you break it, and that's the... um, only thing I"d want it for.
I went in to my local ATT store, they ordered it for me and had it shipped to the store free 2 day. They though 3-5 days tp ship, but it shipped (with a tracking number) last night. I went with the ship to store option so I didn't have to worry about the signature required shipping PITA.

1 year warranty on these (90 days customer service for free); 2 year contract. So Applecare extends both to match the contract period. Normally I never get extended warranties, but with a $500+ phone (full price if not up for contract renewal), I make an exception.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPHONE-101078?mco=MTYzNjAwNzM

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
q_and_a said:
Since you won't be using this as a phone, should work great.
Nobody makes phone calls anymore. . . .

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Warranty

Yes, mine got "lost" (I would guess, stolen) in shipping so they are processing a claim now, but it may be 4-6 weeks before I get another one.

I thought about applecare for the reasons you describe -- but looked at the details, and found that it does not cover wear and tear / no fault / damage -- it is warranty only.

My credit card automatically provides double manufacturer's warranty on items I buy, up to an additional year so that's two years on the phone, again, only against defects.

If applecare would replace my screen if I dropped it, then I'd be there...

Coolhand said:
I went in to my local ATT store, they ordered it for me and had it shipped to the store free 2 day. They though 3-5 days tp ship, but it shipped (with a tracking number) last night. I went with the ship to store option so I didn't have to worry about the signature required shipping PITA.

1 year warranty on these (90 days customer service for free); 2 year contract. So Applecare extends both to match the contract period. Normally I never get extended warranties, but with a $500+ phone (full price if not up for contract renewal), I make an exception.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPHONE-101078?mco=MTYzNjAwNzM

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Argentius said:
Yes, mine got "lost" (I would guess, stolen) in shipping so they are processing a claim now, but it may be 4-6 weeks before I get another one.

I thought about applecare for the reasons you describe -- but looked at the details, and found that it does not cover wear and tear / no fault / damage -- it is warranty only.

My credit card automatically provides double manufacturer's warranty on items I buy, up to an additional year so that's two years on the phone, again, only against defects.

If applecare would replace my screen if I dropped it, then I'd be there...
Same but those can be limited. Applecare covers labor not just parts, and gets you the benefit of the doubt on warranty issues.

It wasn't a slam dunk, but on smart phones and laptops extended warranties may make sense. Everything else, not so much.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Doubts...

This seems to be the main advantage of this sort of program -- the sense that you can just go to the Apple store, and on-site get the damaged item repaired or replaced, rather than go through a mess of claims.

Oh, well.

I guess I can decide when and if they decide to get me a phone...

Coolhand said:
Same but those can be limited. Applecare covers labor not just parts, and gets you the benefit of the doubt on warranty issues.

It wasn't a slam dunk, but on smart phones and laptops extended warranties may make sense. Everything else, not so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts