Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was a long time ago. Let's here the details of yours. Current news is better than stale old history.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I got run off the road about an hour ago by an angry young woman. As soon as they find her - by this afternoon, I'm guessing; they already found her parents - she's going to be arrested and charged with wreckless endangerment. I have a bunch of road rash, and my five-week-old Dean is in pretty sorry shape - a really big deal for a collegiate racer who spent his last on a very nice bike! - but I'm OK, and thankful for it. I have no idea what the outcome will be, and am interested to find out. But I'll bet the wheels of justice turn slowly...

What's your story?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Stale old story

I only got hit once. Back in the late 70's. I was riding on a straight, flat, rural road. No traffic to speak of. A guy driving a pick up truck comes off a private road, stops, looks right at me and commences to make a left turn right in my path. I collided with his drivers door. He was very apologetic, said he did not see me. I was irate (a lot of good that did). No injuries, I continued on my ride to later find out the I broke a rear axle. I learned then that just because you make eye contact with a driver, it does not mean they see you.

However, my worst crashes were all solo. Riding by myself. All were contributed by tires. The first was a blown front tire while descending and and the second (which happened in Dec) was picking up some paint on my tires due to some road work and I went down while climbing on a slippery driveway.

My worst fear is getting run over from behind. I ride a lot of mnt type roads and can't always tell which direction a car is coming from by sound. I used a mirror and take a little bit of road and wait until they are almost on me then move over as far as I can

Older people and teenagers seem to be the worse. Older drivers have no clue as to how wide their cars are and younger drivers seem to have a contest to see how close they can come to not hitting you.

Pickup truck blue collar workers are a close third.

Me, myself and I are the first..

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Did she?

SDizzle said:
I got run off the road about an hour ago by an angry young woman. As soon as they find her - by this afternoon, I'm guessing; they already found her parents - she's going to be arrested and charged with wreckless endangerment. I have a bunch of road rash, and my five-week-old Dean is in pretty sorry shape - a really big deal for a collegiate racer who spent his last on a very nice bike! - but I'm OK, and thankful for it. I have no idea what the outcome will be, and am interested to find out. But I'll bet the wheels of justice turn slowly...

What's your story?
Did she hit you or just run you off the road? A little swipe with the car perhaps? Either one sucks. If you're talking about getting run off the road, that happens on average to me, about 1 or 2 times per week when I ride a lot. Sorry to hear you got slapped around, glad to hear you're OK. The bike, well... Make sure you get a good write up on the insurance claim.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
I've been hit once, broken rib, destroyed bike, the whole 9. And taken down once, he hit me, but really didn't HIT me, you know, 6 stitches for that one.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Twice.

In 1975 and 1977. In 75 I was hit by a driver in the city of Chicago that decided not to stop for a stop sign. I graduated from high school in a hospital bed from the accident. He was a high school studne who's father was a diplomat. Interestingly enough the police record disappear without a trace.

1977 was when a guy exited his car without looking. I didn't even have time to grab the brakes and both myself and the bike went over the door and bounced down the street for about three car lengths. I just suffered a spained wrist and quite a bit of road rash.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
Current news is better than stale old history.
I was just riding along when...just kidding.

I was going on a slight downhill, wind at my back, a road where you can work up to a good clip without even trying. (Today was an easy day for me.) A young lady turned right out onto the road I was on, and I passed on the shoulder going quite a bit faster than her - I think she underestimated how quickly bikes can travel. Seeing there was no oncoming traffic, and this is Boulder County, where bikes have it pretty good, I rode around some snow - there was enough on the road that I probably should not have been out - and I guess that did it for her. She pulled up next to me, opened her window, and shouted obscenities at me. I didn't hear what she said, but she had a fierce look in her eyes, and I responded in kind. (I shouldn't have.) She pulled just ahead of me, swerved a bit - they way people do when they're trying to fake you out - and did it a few more times, and then did it for real - three or four feet sideways, so that she hit me with her rear quarter panel. I lost control pretty much immediately and drifted on my butt-ocks across the concrete shoulder. I had my head up getting her plate number as I hit the ground. (I'm especially proud of that!)

My (new, end-of-an-era CU team) shorts are trashed, along with my new Descente jacket, a long-sleeve Sugoi jersey, Castelli leg-warmers, one brand-new Time RXS cleat, and my Poggio IIIs; my arse is pretty much trashed; and my bike is aesthetically much less pleasing than in days past. ('effed up Chorus shifters, new red/black Arione, Time pedal, etc.) The rear wheel is out of true, but otherwise I could have ridden it home. Several Sheriffs, a firetruck, medics of all sorts - you name it, they showed up. Everyone was super helpful, and there's now a warrant out for her arrest. The rest is up to the DA. I probably won't pursue this in civil court unless I don't get any restitution (all I really care about is my bike - my arse will heal, and claiming some ghostly 'neck pains' is bad kharma) in criminal, which is doubtful. Hey, this is Boulder! Of all places to hit a cyclist, this has got to be one of the worst...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Twice on a bicycle. Once about 18 years ago when I was hit by a car that turned left right into me, and then last time was last year when Granny in her minivan hit me with her mirror and dragged me along the ground. In the first case, I just settled for replacement of the ****ticated bike. In the second case, still ongoing, the figure for settlement is very high considering the physical therapy, the surgery all screwed up my first year of graduate school and pushed back when I'll finally get to earn newly minted PhD pay. The medical bills are pretty large.

Also hit once while on a motorcycle by a car turning left. That one hurt a lot.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa, they're gonna slap her with a good charge. Any witnesses or is it your word against hers? Certainly your bike and butt are good evidence but I would think she'll get a good attorney because it will be a felony.

My incident didn't have as much drama but the result was similar. Around 1980 I was also breezing down a hill and was preparing to make a left turn at the bottom on a deserted county road. Glanced in my rear view mirror and it was clear so I moved over to the left side of my lane. Started to signal and glanced in my mirror again and saw a '65 Mustang barreling down the hill and pulling into the left lane to pass me. Needless to say I wasn't going to make the turn, pulled my arm in and headed for the right side of the lane. The driver panicked and locked up his brakes. His rear end swung around and booted me in the rear wheel. I was launched over the bars, landing first on my head (good 'ole Bell bucket did it's job) and then on my back while I slid off the pavement onto the gravel shoulder. Wheel tacoed, damage to rear derailleur and numerous scratches on the bike. My back was hamburger on the whole right side. The worst was the scrubbing in the emergency room to remove the gravel. He was a kid from Texas with no insurance. Never did get blood out of that turnip.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,013 Posts
Clipped on bike path

Several years ago I was riding home from work. It was dark. I had lights. The nice thing about my commute home is there is a dedicated bike path the runs along a highway (HWY 75 in San Diego also known as "The Strand"). The bad thing is that part of the bike path, when you come into town, sort of "blends" in with the main road. When I'm riding home at night it's a little discocerting to see oncoming automobile traffic looking like they're coming straight at me. Well, this one night a car was actually driving on the bike path doing at least 40mph and coming for me. I barely jumped out of the way but not before the car ran over my front wheel and damaged my fork. I called the police but the only discription I could give was "the car had a noisy muffler." To date, no one has been arrested.

·
Registered
611 Posts
SDizzle said:
<snip>She pulled just ahead of me, swerved a bit - they way people do when they're trying to fake you out - and did it a few more times, and then did it for real - three or four feet sideways, so that she hit me with her rear quarter panel. I lost control pretty much immediately and drifted on my butt-ocks across the concrete shoulder. I had my head up getting her plate number as I hit the ground. (I'm especially proud of that!)
If she actually made contact with you enough to knock you off, there should be evidence of the impact on her paintwork. This would be good support for your account of the incident.

Let us know how this develops.

Jim <--- never been knocked off, several near misses.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Seamus said:
If she actually made contact with you enough to knock you off, there should be evidence of the impact on her paintwork. This would be good support for your account of the incident.
There is, and it has been recorded. (She has been caught/found.) But it is just my word against hers, unfortunately, and I've already run into what a struggle this might be. The cop came back to re-check my story, because not only is there the marking at the back of her vehicle where her car hit me, but there's a nice, fat handprint where I hit her driver's side window after she swerved at me the first time. Needless to say, that's not exactly evidence in my favor, and I left it out of my first report because it was the part of which I was least proud.

Part of it, too, is that all of this happened in 12 seconds, and then I was sitting on the ground with my heart in my ears not knowing really any of what happened for sure. So there are holes in my report, and I can pin it down as best I can to adrenaline, but a large part of it's going to come down to just how voracious the DA is.

G

·
Juanmoretime said:
In 1975 and 1977. In 75 I was hit by a driver in the city of Chicago that decided not to stop for a stop sign. I graduated from high school in a hospital bed from the accident. He was a high school studne who's father was a diplomat. Interestingly enough the police record disappear without a trace.

1977 was when a guy exited his car without looking. I didn't even have time to grab the brakes and both myself and the bike went over the door and bounced down the street for about three car lengths. I just suffered a spained wrist and quite a bit of road rash.

I did one of these, in about 1983. Going through the trendy shopping district in Vancouver. Parked cars on one side, traffic on the other. Guy suddenly throws his door open, I hit it, pinball from the car to the VW van beside me, eventually go over the VW and come down in the traffic lane on the other side. My bike was not damaged and the ER doctor was I guy I used to ride with so I got well taken care of.

Turns out I had ripped the door off the guy's brand new company car, and he was in house counsel for one of the big mining companies. Decided to sue me! There were enough winesses that by the time the insurance company got through with him, his lawsuit went away very quickly.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I got hit about a week ago : http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52472 ; I talk about it a little more, and the aftermath, on my weblog at : http://argentius.blogspot.com

It was ignorance and inattentiveness on the part of young lady who hit me, not malice as seems to be the case in your terrible situation. She turned left without looking, basically turning INTO me, then panicked (I guess) and took off. She got about a half mile down the road to her house, where the cops found her. Thankfully, her insurance was pretty quick to take care of my bicycle and property damage, and my knee and hip are healing.

Your view on the situation is admirable, but personally, I'm running out of patience waiting for Karma to come bite these folks in the as s.

Your report is a little confusing -- did she RUN you off the road -- as in, you swerved into the ditch to avoid collision -- or did she HIT you and THAT caused you to fall?

I'm glad the police, etc., did their part. I'm also a collegiate racer, and couldn't have afforded a new bike sans the insurance check -- hopefully you can get on your feet soon. I'm no attorney, but you should be able to get the bike "totaled" by her insurance, since they have to restore it to the condition it was before, or replace it. This would mean totally repainting the bike, including paying for ALL the labor involved with that, plus replacing any component that was scratched or damaged. This will be over the cost of the bike, for sure. You can get paid for that, then buy back your ride as "salvage," and have a still perfectly ridable crit bike with a few repairs. Use the rest of the cash for a brand new ride, or paying tuition, or whatever. Good luck.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
SDizzle, where you at?

If you're in California you are screwed!!!!!!!!!!! The good ol' "I never saw him/her" will always get the driver off. Due to so many 10 percenters (you know who you are) constantly blowing thru stop signs and lights the cops couldn't give a **** about cyclists rights. They are tired of the 10 percenters abusing the laws and that affects the rest of us who do take the laws semi-seriously. I try to obey the laws for two reasons: getting hit by a car can injure/kill you, good bikes are damn expensive. Sorry to hear of your crash and sorry to hear of your beautiful Dean getting munched.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Argentius said:
Your report is a little confusing -- did she RUN you off the road -- as in, you swerved into the ditch to avoid collision -- or did she HIT you and THAT caused you to fall?
No, she really did hit me. There's a big mark on the rear 3/4 of her car, apparently. I'm convinced she knew what she was doing. Still, I've heard no more news.

Glad to hear your crash worked out so well. So, what kind fo new bike did you get? You should post a pic! Nice blog, too.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
SDizzle said:
There is, and it has been recorded. (She has been caught/found.) But it is just my word against hers, unfortunately, and I've already run into what a struggle this might be.
At the same time, she left the scene of an accident, didn't stop to see whether you were seriously injured, and didn't even call the cops to report it. That is evidence to support your assertion that she was not behaving responsibly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my first incident a year ago. Was riding the half mile between work and home at 3:00 a.m. when a taxi going the opposite direction made a sudden, unsignaled left turn into me as I rode down the shoulder. I was fine, save for a gash on my ankle where the outside chainring sliced into me. How my brain managed to withdraw my leg from the collision side and prepare myself for an emergency dismount so quickly, I have no idea. As for the bike, my (brand new, of course) front wheel was bent into an artful 'S' shape, and the seals on my suspension fork blew out, but the ol' Schwinn Mesa commuter held up remarkably well. Even came out of it with a new coat of taxi-black paint on the left side. As I was riding without lights or reflectors and was dressed in my dark blue work uniform, I let the guy go with a warning to be more careful.

Multiple lights and reflectors are now standard equipment on all my bikes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't been hit yet. Hopefully I can keep the lucky streak going. My expierience is actually quite different then what I am hearing from most people on the board. When I am riding solo I am dramatically more cautious then when I am with a group. The funny thing is that I have had WAY more car/ bike incidents in groups than solo.
I am not sure what it is but it only takes running a red (lead riders yelling "rolling" then the entire group ends up running a red) or rolling up to a red light and swarming stopped cars by stopping on both sides and leaving the drivers stuck.

In both situations I can almost call it. The driver has a few choice words to share and generally if the rider ignore or says sorry it is over. But more times then not the rider speaks his mind and the driver "reminds" him that a 3000 pound car will always win.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
i got hit by a semi truck this summer. long story short: going up a pretty steep hill, semi truck is in the far lane on a two lane street. he changes lanes as he comes up next to me and just keeps going, i got hit by the very last tire on his trailer. i was in front of him before he changed lanes so i know he saw me. the guy didnt stop but some kids went and took down his numbers and told him that he hit me. he said he was gonna come back but never did.

end result was a dead bike, broken ribs, and some nasty whiplash. im still kinda paranoid of semis now but overall im happy to be alive considering what could have happened

1 - 20 of 30 Posts