Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fiancee and I just moved into a new condo building in a great part of town. In the parking garage, they have a "secure" fenced in area to store bikes. There are about 50 bikes inside, mostly mtn. bikes that look like they get used a few times a year, but also some fairly new mtn. bikes and a few decent roadies. We keep our main bikes upstiars in our condo, but I assume that my [email protected]$$ fixie will be fine locked inside the fenced area. The bike was an 80's lugged Nishiki with no name wheels, one front brake and sugino and 3ttt almost everything else.

On Saturday AM I had a softball game about 5 miles away. A perfect trip for the fixie. I go down the the bike room and it was gone. I just stared at the spot for awhile, then wondered if I was a more-on and parked it somewhere else and forgot. Nope. I keep an old helmet strapped to the top tube and that was sitting on the bike next to it (A pretty nice ~$500 Specialized Mtn. bike). My bike was only locked with a cable.

I figure it was someone who lives in the building and knows bikes. You need one key to get in the garage and another to get in the bike room. If it was some junkie looking for a bike to steal and sell, a new shiny Mtn. bike would surely be more attractive. This is disheartening since condos in this building start around $350,000.

Not trying to get sympathy, just sharing and reminding everyone to keep their rides secure! At least now I have an excuse to look for a new ride. Langster? Pista? Redline? Bueller?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike! That is a huge bummer, thanks for the reminder that evil bike thieves lurk in even the most unexpected of places.

When I was a kid my Dad’s nice road bike (well, I thought it was nice when I was eight, so who knows) got stolen right out of our garage. Our house was at the end of a quiet dead-end street in a relatively nice neighborhood in San Diego and he was shocked to see his bike gone after having left it there for under five minutes.

I guess I learned my lesson then, because now I won’t even lock my crappy bike up outside for more than a few hours. Of course that means that my S.O. has to deal with three bikes crowding us out of our tiny Manhattan studio (I’m talking less than 300sf) but I haven’t had so much as a seat stolen in my two years of NYC riding (knock on wood) so I guess it’s worth it.

I just finished putting together what is probably the nicest bike I’ll ever own, and instead of getting a new lock I decided that I’m just never going to lock it up. If I can’t bring it inside to wherever I’m going then it’s back to the old POS road conversion, which is a ton of fun to ride anyway, and if it gets stolen it’s not such a big deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
At this point...

I treat all my bikes like children.

I spoil 'em rotten with new parts and fab color coordination, and take lots of pics. I figure someday they may go out of daddy's reach, but at least I'll have the megapixel memories. I'll never forget the first bike I built my girlfriend, and I'm sad I have no pics of her gleefully riding it through the parking lot near our first house together. Alas, it was stolen at 5:30 am from our "secure" basement, right outside the enterance to our apartment. My gf actually scared the guy and he dropped another bike (mine!) before jumping on hers outside and bombing away down the hill, and out of our lives forever.

I'm glad you look forward to building a new rig, remember life is fleeting and so enjoy each minute of your pimp ride even more!

·
Registered
341 Posts
boroef said:
and make sure u get a good lock this time! ;)
Fo' real...

I've got an Onguard Brute Mini and it fits around the rear wheel and one seat-stay of my cross-check. Heavy as hell, but it fits perfectly and holds the bike very snugly against what I'm locking it to. No room to fit anything in there to pry at it.

·
Commuter ***** Lurker
76 Posts
lampshade said:
My bike was only locked with a cable.
Apartments in NYC cost more than $350K, and bikes get stollen there all the time!:p
If you have a dedicated bike area like that I say buy a big ass NY lock/chain from Kryptonite & lock up with that. Who cares how heavy it is - just leave it chained to the rack at your place, and use it only there.

At one point in my life I had 3 locks that never left the racks they were chained to - I had one at work, another at school, another at home. Full security everywhere without having to lug it around.

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Ask your luxury condo for video.
Post pics of you're stolen bike.
Head to a tennants meeting.
Make some noise.
Check ebay and craigslist.

My rear wheel was lifted from Hoboken NJ train station, still bummed about it.
Get decent locks, krypo's or the masterlock cuffs are sweet and portable. Always double lock for long term.
Right now I ride to the train on a polish WWII style sturmey archer 3 speed, saddle is chain secured and NYC krypto'd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.