Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Road bike with Shimano 105 STI Shifters/Brake levers and Ultegra 600 derailers. All 8 speed. Recently my 8 speed shifter is having huge issues shifting onto smaller cogs. I have to play with the lever for a while and can usually eventually get it to down shift.

I managed to get a used pair of Shimano Sora 8 speed shifter/brake levers for $40. The ST-3300.

Will the Sora 8 speed work with my Ultegra 8 speed rear derailer? It seems to me since they are both 8 speed and shimano it should work. Would like to confirm that before I tear it all apart.

Also inside the Sora shifter there appears to be some kind of plastic strip that looks like a bread bag twisty tie. It seems to be attached at both ends inside the lever. I do not see it on the Exploded view but simply pulling on it does not remove it. Any ideas what it is?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Yes. It will work fine.
The only Shimano 8 speed rear derailleur that it won't work with is 8 speed DA.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Beersman1 said:
I have a 1995 Road bike with Shimano 105 STI Shifters/Brake levers and Ultegra 600 derailers. All 8 speed. Recently my 8 speed shifter is having huge issues shifting onto smaller cogs. I have to play with the lever for a while and can usually eventually get it to down shift.

I managed to get a used pair of Shimano Sora 8 speed shifter/brake levers for $40. The ST-3300.

Will the Sora 8 speed work with my Ultegra 8 speed rear derailer? It seems to me since they are both 8 speed and shimano it should work. Would like to confirm that before I tear it all apart.

Also inside the Sora shifter there appears to be some kind of plastic strip that looks like a bread bag twisty tie. It seems to be attached at both ends inside the lever. I do not see it on the Exploded view but simply pulling on it does not remove it. Any ideas what it is?
Have you tried flushing the insides with something like WD-40?Just pull back on the brake lever and stick the straw down in there and flush the crud out. The grease Shimano uses dries and turns into gunk and can cause shifting issues. Also, I think Sora had the internals for the Flight Deck computer so that may be what you are seeing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the history is this: 1 month ago I pulled it out of the basement after a decade. The shifter in question was completely nonfunctional with the same problem as now only worse. I took it to a bike shop and had them tune the bike up and fix that shifter. It then worked perfectly for almost 3 weeks and now it is almost nonfunctional again. I was assuming they did the WD40 flush to get it working but perhaps not.

I will give it a try before I replace the shifter. With the Sora. The Sora seems pretty solid and reliable though. Maybe the 1st generation 105's were not very reliable. I did get more than 20k miles out of it before it ended up in the basement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.