Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who've bought bikes with Sora/Tiaga components, what (if any) problems have you had with them?

What went first?

How did you upgrade/address these problems?

Any luck with using high end components while keeping "some" of your original components (e.g. shifters, cassettes, etc...)?

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if any of you guys have had good solid performance with these comps, what type of riding do you do?

How many miles?

What terrain(s)?

What bike(s) are you riding with these comps?

Thanks.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
I've had both, but love the ultegra setup I currently ride. Problems are typical, but you can solve them yourself with a little observation and basic maintenance. Anything you can't figure out is usually a cheap fix at your LBS. They're reliable, just not as smooth/light as the higher priced comps.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
real stonie said:
I've had both, but love the ultegra setup I currently ride. Problems are typical, but you can solve them yourself with a little observation and basic maintenance. Anything you can't figure out is usually a cheap fix at your LBS. They're reliable, just not as smooth/light as the higher priced comps.
Thanks RS,

I'm wrencher anyway and I've read that Sora/Tiagras require constant adjustment to keep running smoothly (I find it hard to believe that any system ridden hard won't need to be worked on occasionally and fully expect that the ST (Sora/Tiagra) set up would need more).

I've also read good things and usually, the bad things I've read have come from persons who never had a bike with a TS set up.

I set up this thread to get a "real world" feel about what exactly is the truth about these comps.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Like I said, I rode my old Trek 1000 into the ground and the only issues I ever had was the chain derailed a few times. 2 minutes and two dirty hands later, it was fixed and I was rolling again. As much as we all love cycling, it's not a complicated sport and comonents all work the same...there's not a lot that can go wrong.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a Felt Z100 with Sora 8 / 2200 shifters / FSA triple crank set.

I have 300 miles on the bike since late Oct. 08. Most of those miles have been in the past 6 weeks. I ride training rides of about 10-15 and then weekend miles of 20-30 miles. I live in FL so I have very few hills on most rides. My ave ride speed is 17-18 on the flats. I sprint up to about 25+

I have had no problems with the set up at all. I had the shop do a "tune up" on the bike back in Dec (which actually did not do any better than how I had set it up myself - I do my own wrenching). I have not done a thing to the bike in the past 200 miles ... not a single tweek to the drive train except lube the chain.

- costs: I paid $650 out the door for the bike (about 200 less than other comp equipt bike brands)
- 2200 shifter/break levers have a set screw to adjust the brake lever reach: no need for shims
- Sora Rear DR shifts crisp, no ghost shifting.
- As an 8 , Chain is of a width that makes it pretty easy to get the rear shifting dialed in
- Shifts as good as my LX MTB set up in the rear.

Dislikes:
- its an 8 / 3: I really have no use for the granny here. Would like to have a 9 in the rear.
- the length of sweep/movement to shift at the shifters.
- the location of the up shift thumb clicker: off the side of the hood on the 2200. Would perfer Tiagra or better for the location of the clicker.
- the front DR is a little crancky going up chain rings: have to "pump" the chain up to the next largest chain ring. It was a problem from 2 up to 3 until I took it to the shop. They set it so it is more of a problem from 1 to 2. But overall, the front shifting is not really fast.

For me, there has not been much to Dis-Like so far. The Neuvation M28 Aero Wheelset I did a few weeks ago makes those on my group rides surprised that the bike is Sora / entry level until closer inspection :D

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
real stonie said:
Like I said, I rode my old Trek 1000 into the ground and the only issues I ever had was the chain derailed a few times. 2 minutes and two dirty hands later, it was fixed and I was rolling again. As much as we all love cycling, it's not a complicated sport and comonents all work the same...there's not a lot that can go wrong.[/QUOTEI ]

Yeah.

I bought a MTB that was supposed to immediately need upgrades.
So, I was ready for my bike to start falling apart once I hit the trails,
but to my pleasant surprise, the Shimano Alivio (similar to Sora Grade)
comps I had were fine.

In fact, they received great comments from bike testers who rode bikes
that had my exact same set up.

So, I'm kind of reading as much as I can and am going to avoid that
anxiety I felt with my first entry level bike.

First thing I'm going to do with my bike (a Trek 1.5) is going to be to
take it on a 20 mile break in run (if not more). I'm going to try to destroy
that bike! :lol:

If it survives our maiden voyage, then I'll just leave her as is.

Otherwise, I'll dump the weak links and ride her with peace of mind afterwards.

:D

·
Upgraded n00b
123 Posts
luckily the new sora is 9 speed. I would say as long as you're not running 2200 you're alright. My 08 1.2 came with 2200/Sora. First bike and after 100 miles I knew I hated it. Shifting sucked and the FD was just a pain. As soon as xmas came it got swapped out for complete '09 Rival. Haven't looked back since.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MRM1 said:
I have a Felt Z100 with Sora 8 / 2200 shifters / FSA triple crank set.

I have had no problems with the set up at all. I had the shop do a "tune up" on the bike back in Dec (which actually did not do any better than how I had set it up myself - I do my own wrenching). I have not done a thing to the bike in the past 200 miles ... not a single tweek to the drive train except lube the chain.
Ah yes...I remember reading your thread months ago when I was considering a 1.2 myself (the mapping stuck with me).

Nice set up (the rims really set the bike off M! :thumbsup: ).

For me, there has not been much to Dis-Like so far. The Neuvation M28 Aero Wheelset I did a few weeks ago makes those on my group rides surprised that the bike is Sora / entry level until closer inspection :D
I guess that's what it's all about, isn't it...does it work? Is it reliable? Is it enough?

I'll guess I'll know in a week...I suspect they'll be ok.

(Oh, and thanks for giving me another gadget to look into now... Mapping... :lol: )

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K&K_Dad said:
luckily the new sora is 9 speed. I would say as long as you're not running 2200 you're alright. My 08 1.2 came with 2200/Sora. First bike and after 100 miles I knew I hated it. Shifting sucked and the FD was just a pain. As soon as xmas came it got swapped out for complete '09 Rival. Haven't looked back since.

Here's my set-up:

Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Sora STI, 9 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
Cassette SRAM PG950 12-26, 9 speed
Crankset FSA Vero T 50/39/30

It looks like my build is a late '08 set-up.
The Trek Archive '08 Trek 1.5 lists it's crankset with a Bontrager Sport 53/39 or 50/39/30.

My 08 1.2 came with 2200/Sora
What's a "2200"?
Model #?

·
Registered
220 Posts
K&K_Dad said:
Did you only upgrade the shifters to Rival, or did you have to upgrade the DR's too. I just read a Rival vendors thread that said it will "only work with SRAM DRs"

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
10000 miles on a tiagra shifters/brakes. Never once did not shift when I wanted it to, nor did it ever shift when I didnt want it to. My wife has Sora shifters and RD. she doesnt ride hard, or put many miles on it. But my MTB buddy would use her bike until he bought a roadie, and he never complained.

With that being said.. my new bike is Rival. and I absolutely love it. The comparison is not all in the tiagra vs. Rival though, my tiagra was triple, my Rival is double.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Anyone that tells you sora/tiagra needs constant adjustment probably never owned it. I have a Sora/2200 mix on my commuter and it works great, in fact it probably has needed LESS adjustment than my Deore, Ultegra or DA bikes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
8,500 miles on a Kona Jake with Sora (8spd) shifters, Sora triple f/d, and Tiagra r/d.

The f/d crapped out at 6,800 miles when a nub that the spring pushed against failed. Had it replaced with either a 105 or Ultegra f/d that the shop had on hand.

Replaced the cables once, right around the same time as the f/d. Am on the 2nd cassette and 3rd chain I think.

I’ve commuted in rain, snow, ice, mud, etc. for almost 3 years on this bike and the shifting is as good as the day I got it. Very seldom do I need to tweak anything. In fact, the Rival on my other bike has been more finicky than the Sora (though I do like the SRAM’s shifting and ergonomics much better.)

I’ve been planning for a year and a half to swap the drivetrain out for something 10-speed so I can swap wheel with my other bike, but the original parts just keep going strong for the most part.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2001 Bianchi Brava that I put 12,000 commuter miles on with a Sora Triple Chainring drivetrain and it worked great. Other than replacing the chain when needed and doing a very rare (once every 3000 miles?) adjustment, the Sora comp group worked fine.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 03 trek 1200 with full Tiagra setup, totaly thrashed, never serviced, still works 100%, smooth, no missed gears/slipping, shifts as good as day 1. Its not as smooth or as light as a DA setup but I havent been able to kill it yet

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
2ndGen said:
Wow...all stuff that's good to know.

:)
Look. No less an authority than Sheldon Brown said (and I quote): 'Sora is good stuff.' And that was an few years ago. That's all you need to know

No worries.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OES said:
Look. No less an authority than Sheldon Brown said (and I quote): 'Sora is good stuff.' And that was an few years ago. That's all you need to know

No worries.
Wow.
Just "googled" Sheldon Brown.
Reliable source?

I could understand how a person who's had a bad experience with a particular set on their personal bike could have a bad opinion of it (this could be for several reasons like just a bad piece from the factory or poor installation, or whatever). I wouldn't discount anybody having failures with Sora/Tiagra parts. I'm sure there have to have been 105 and above parts that have failed prematurely as well.

That's why I set up this thread...to see what "other" opinions are out there from other riders who've used them.

My consensus? While they may not be as good as 105's, they certainly aren't "bad".

I guess that as a rider demands more of their drivetrain through more aggressive riding habits and under more extreme conditions, then an upgrade (to 105's/Ultegras/SL's/DuraAces, etc...) would be in order.

I think I'll be alright with my set and if I break them or when I get to a point where I'll need performance not offered by them, then I'll upgrade.

Thanks for that info OES.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts