Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent my life on my feet, professionally and recreationally, always active and always moving. Things are slow at work so I spent the entire past week sitting in my office working on updating Cad drawings, models and manufacturing prints. As the week wore on I got stiffer and stiffer.

I am in good shape at this point in the season, ride two or three times a week and have a handful of centuries under my belt. Today when I started riding both my knees ached right from the start, not stiff but more sore like I had hyper extended them. Also the base of my neck between my shoulder blades was very tight.

I ended up doing a fifty mile easy ride, by the time I was done both my knees hurt, both my gluteus were stressed and tight, my lower back ached and I spent much of the ride dropping my head trying to ease the tightness in my neck. Also I had no omph, I just couldn't get in a
rhythm and maintain any speed.

The moral of the story....Work better pick up or I'm going to turn into a slug! Being sedentary is bad for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
4 years ago I took a risk and joined a start up company as creative director. It quickly turned into 80+ hour work weeks, desk jockeying some hardcore production demands and product development. This year I've finally been able to normalize my schedule and get back to cycling 3-4 times a week. I've quickly burned off 30lbs I put on living off coffee and whatever I could stuff down my gullet between deadlines. My legs however are not the same by a long shot. It's feeling better but all those pains you describe still hit me on any ride over 30 miles. Kicking the dust off of 4 years of desk work has been quite the struggle. I don't recommend it, I don't regret it either but I don't recommend it. Life is all about balance which is much easier said than done! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
The office is the new smoking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have always believed the saying a body at rest stays at rest and a body in motion stays in motion. After almost 20 years of a hard manual labor job i made the decision to find something else i could do that would be easier on my body before i got any older. well 2 years into the new job i can say i still believe that old saying. The new less labor intensive job makes me more tired by the end of the day than when i would pour 700 yards of concrete in a mourning. Now the bike is what i depend on to get the fire burning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts