Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Sore Hands-- Hand Position

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Peanya 
This comes up so frequently in here... I almost think there should be an FAQ or sticky thread.

One thing I noticed for myself, I had a stem that was too long. Part of my problem is core muscles (working on that) but part of it is body geometry. I have a long torso, and short arms. So I'm normally leaning too far forward anyway, and dumping a lot of weight on my hands. Shorter stem worked wonders.

Another thing... I'm debating the virtues of swapping to a different kind of bar.. something like a time trials bar. I do a lot of city riding, and I don't feel like I can brake as well when I'm on the hoods as I'd like. But the horned shape of the bar just looks a lot more comfortable to me. And if push comes to shove, I'm sure there's even a way to convert to a flat bar. I realize this may sound like blasphemy, people have been riding drop bars for years, blah blah... that doesn't mean they're for everyone. There's no sense damaging your hands just for the sake of looking cool in the eyes of a seriously elitist crowd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.